1. This forum is dedicated for discussion of Theories & Speculations created using our Theories & Speculations platform.
    • To publish a new theory or speculation, click here
    • To see a list of all theories & speculations, read, rate and review click here

Zou: the elephant and the turtle

Discussion in 'The Theory Archive' started by Xi-, Oct 3, 2015.

Share This Page

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Xi-

Xi-

Bounty Points:
    Hi guys I am here to write a small theory on why I believe that Zou isnt what it appears to be. Infact I believe that there is much more and that Oda is basing Zou on this legend:

https://paradelle.files.wordpress.com/2009/09/turtle-earth.jpg

This is how hindu cosmology explains how the universe works. We have a giant turtle that holds on his back 4 elephants who themselfs hold the world which is flat. The elephants represent the 4 cardinal directions.

Then again i think Oda mixed this legend with another one similar this being of the Iroquois explaing how North Amrica was created laying on a turtles neck:

"Long before the world was created there was an island, floating in the sky, upon which the Sky People lived. They lived quietly and happily. No one ever died or was born or experienced sadness. However one day one of the Sky Women realized she was going to give birth to twins. She told her husband, who flew into a rage. In the center of the island there was a tree which gave light to the entire island since the sun hadn't been created yet. He tore up this tree, creating a huge hole in the middle of the island. Curiously, the woman peered into the hole. Far below she could see the waters that covered the earth. At that moment her husband pushed her. She fell through the hole, tumbling towards the waters below.

Water animals already existed on the earth, so far below the floating island two birds saw the Sky Woman fall. Just before she reached the waters they caught her on their backs and brought her to the other animals. Determined to help the woman they dove into the water to get mud from the bottom of the seas. One after another the animals tried and failed. Finally, Little Toad tried and when he reappeared his mouth was full of mud. The animals took it and spread it on the back of Big Turtle. The mud began to grow and grow and grow until it became the size of North America.

[​IMG]

Then the woman stepped onto the land. She sprinkled dust into the air and created stars. Then she created the moon and sun.

The Sky Woman gave birth to twin sons. She named one Sapling. He grew to be kind and gentle. She named the other Flint and his heart was as cold as his name. They grew quickly and began filling the earth with their creations.

Sapling created what is good. He made animals that are useful to humans. He made rivers that went two ways and into these he put fish without bones. He made plants that people could eat easily. If he was able to do all the work himself there would be no suffering.

Flint destroyed much of Sapling's work and created all that is bad. He made the rivers flow only in one direction. He put bones in fish and thorns on berry bushes. He created winter, but Sapling gave it life so that it could move to give way to Spring. He created monsters which his brother drove beneath the Earth.

Eventually Sapling and Flint decided to fight till one conquered the other. Neither was able to win at first, but finally Flint was beaten. Because he was a god Flint could not die, so he was forced to live on Big Turtle's back. Occasionally his anger is felt in the form of a volcano.

The Iroquois people hold a great respect for all animals. This is mirrored in their creation myth by the role the animals play. Without the animals' help the Sky Woman may have sunk to the bottom of the sea and earth may not have been created." From
    http://dept.cs.williams.edu/~lindsey/myths/myths_12.html

But why I believe so? Ok we have the mith but no signs of turtles.

Well first of all we see that Zou is for sure standing or walking :

http://***********/manga/one_piece/vTBD/c802/14.html

because this is how elphants swim:

http://www.robertlo.com/images/Others/AnimalLovers/SwimmingElephant.jpg .

But this means that he is walking then. Not really.
    If he wants to walk he must have very long legs that reach the ocean floor and lots of you explained it by comparing it to Dali's painting:

https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/4/43/Dali_Elephants.jpg

Of course almost everything can be possible in One Piece but not this:

http://***********/manga/one_piece/v79/c795/7.html

look at where the Sunny is tied to Zou, its his leg. Nothing strange? Yes if you tie something around your leg and you start moving the object tilts because you wouldn't be dragging it but moving forward and up at first then down and back at the end. Try it with a shoe :D.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Leg_mechanism

Considering also the fact that there is the water attrition it would be easy to tilt the ship. Also try to tie it to a moving object, its hard.

So unless Oda has made a huge mistake its impossible that Nami would do such.

But if the ship is dragged and that leg is just like a pillar then things are different and this is totally possible.

So what I believe is that the elephant is surfing on bigger old giant turtle.

Hope you enjoyed.

PS: Next I'll write why Kaido's men are on Zou tell me if you want me to tell you when i do

2. bimbonium

bimbonium Wanted

Bounty Points:
    I'd not say turtle but yeah I believe the elephant is standing on something, but I don't think the elephant's stationary. [the Sunny might not be tied to the elephant, the rope might be attached to something else or have another function entirely]

Last edited: Oct 3, 2015
    Takanome1994 likes this.
  3. Aka Hata X

Aka Hata X

Bounty Points:
    So the turtle must have at least the size of 10+ islands for that elephant to walk, damn..

Takanome1994 and Xi- like this.
  4. Xi-

Xi-

Bounty Points:
    Yeah i believe its massive

Takanome1994 likes this.
  5. Xlaw

Xlaw

Bounty Points:
    Fun to read, Good theory ! Ocean's depth in op world is over 10k feet ! So I'm sure that elephant standing on something !

6. krystalM

krystalM

Bounty Points:
    maybe the big turtle in the cave ???
    in Mugiwara chase the movie,.
    that's a big one, even to the other sea kings :rofl::rofl::rofl:

7. sudota

sudota

Bounty Points:
    Very good observation:yaaa: now after u mentioned, I can see that the Sunny is tied to elephant's leg.. Damn that's a cool observation.. Yeah I also thought that how this huge elephant is walking on water!!
    It is possible that he is standing on top of a turtle or this:
    [​IMG]
    Now the reason I chose this image is because we saw something like a water-eruption before on this island:
    http://i10.**************/one-piece/795/one-piece-5842837.jpg
    now that hole can be the sea-king whale's blowhole which can be seen from image I gave. Thoughts??

8. ABC D EFG

ABC D EFG

Bounty Points:
    [​IMG]

9. Xi-

Xi-

Bounty Points:
    Thank you very much but the idea came to me when @KuroNaito posted it in the chapter discussion showing the Sunny tied. Infact I really thank him for it.

About that @Artur has noticed that it could be Zou's proboscis trying to wash himself in his post

http://orojackson.com/threads/all-t...than-you-might-think.16361/page-4#post-937987

sudota, Takanome1994 and Artur like this.
  10. Artur

Artur Big Mom

Bounty Points:
    Oh yeah, I think that's a given at this point. Elephants often drink water and spit it onto themselves. Since they mostly live in savannahs and other hot places, keeping yourself fresh is absolutely essential.

Furthermore the volcano has the same shape as a trunk and even has the calcificated marks that Zo had.
    [​IMG]

Takanome1994 likes this.
  11. Straw Hat-ya

Straw Hat-ya

Bounty Points:
    I think he's riding on a turtle (or sea king) as well! This would explain the strong current Law talked about as well.

Takanome1994, Xi- and Artur like this.
  12. Xi-

Xi-

Bounty Points:
    Yeah if you also look at Nami's reaction she says that that volcano is indeed strage

Takanome1994 likes this.
  13. Artur

Artur Big Mom

Bounty Points:
    Yep. Also uneven ground (Elephant skin is uneven) + the ship anchored at one of his legs + wierd animal creatures = totally Zo

14. Xi-

Xi-

Bounty Points:
    Yeah it would indeed create a strange current also because there are no island's or else that can create a current like the one created by a "rowing" turtle.
    --- Double Post Merged, Oct 3, 2015, Original Post Date: Oct 3, 2015 ---
    Yes also some animals (birds) use elephants to find pesky insects that trouble them. Thanks to that the birds can eat the insects and get a nice meal while the elephants get cleaned by them. A mutual relationship.

Also you keep reminding me about the reason why I think kaido's men are there and that i should write about it. Its a speculation but i really like it. Spoiler maybe Cesar knows something about it :cigar:

Takanome1994, Straw Hat-ya and Artur like this.
  15. Asura

Asura

Bounty Points:
    A weird thought :>
    @Xi- you can use the button to the right of the emoticons to post pictures and gifs BTW.
    I think that the sunny might be on the the elephant :DD
    If it swims it means that most of its body is underwater and that the island above looks more like an island, then when the elephant decides to go for a wolk the island rises, as perhaps was seen in the manga when the ground was shaking.

There may be a turtle island as well, that would be interesting but I think that it would be a separate but similar being, having an elephant ride a turtle is slightly too unoriginal.
    The legs are either extremely long or, more likely, this is a matter of perspective.

Last edited: Oct 3, 2015
    Xi-, Takanome1994 and SMILE like this.
  16. Takanome1994

Takanome1994

Bounty Points:
    Love the turtle idea, reminds me of Avatar haha -.-

17. hebilea

hebilea Big Mom Cracker Katakuri Smoothie

Bounty Points:
    CrushinDefeat likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice