1. This forum is dedicated for discussion of Theories & Speculations created using our Theories & Speculations platform.
    • To publish a new theory or speculation, click here
    • To see a list of all theories & speculations, read, rate and review click here

Zoro's Role In Wano - The Mythical Shogun (ワンピース)

Discussion in 'The Theory Archive' started by Samurai Rengoku, May 13, 2016.

Share This Page

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Samurai Rengoku

Samurai Rengoku

Bounty Points:
    What do we know about the Wano Kingdom? It's a country unaffiliated with the World Government. They have a closed door policy to outsiders, with the possible exception of Zou. A warrior from Wano-Kuni is known as a Samurai, and there are also Ninja Warriors that are known as Ninja and Samurai.

Shuusui is a treasure of Wano-Kuni. Kin'emon was so angry when he thought Zoro was the one that stole the blade, he attacked Zoro, even after the Strawhats helped him. Now imagine the reaction of everybody else in Wano. There will probably be a small war. Unless Moriah shows up, they won't believe Zoro earned the sword from Ryuma with Brook's shadow. Zoro will have to give it back, or he'll have to earn it again. I believe he'll earn it again by saving Wano from it's corrupt Shogun.

Samurai follow the code of Bushido. One rule of Bushido is to never strike an opponent that's down. In Punk Hazard, Kin'emon stated that he has a grudge against dragons. After he defeated a dragon with Brook's help, he kicked it multiple times while it was unconscious, laying on the ground. Brook told him to chill, but Kin'emon said that the crime that the dragon committed was no better than murdering his parents. He would've killed the dragon if Nami didn't interrupt him. Keep in mind, Kin'emon never met this particular dragon. He hates dragons so much, he kicks and almost kills an unconscious dragon that he's never met before, and he blames it for a crime no better than murdering his parents. What dragon-related incident happened to him that made him hate all dragons to death?

Let's go through some Japanese history. In 1331, Emperor Go-Daigo tried to gain power by overthrowing the Shogunate. However, his plan failed. He was stopped, and exiled for his crime. Right before he was exiled, he hid the 3 Imperial Regalia of Japan. Make sure you remember that, It's important to the end of the theory.

Although he was exiled, he still had loyal supporters, among them a man named Nitta Yoshisada. Yoshisada gathered a force and started a revolution, burning the Shogunate. Go-Daigo returned, and became the Emperor once again. This event is known as the Kemmu Restoration.

However, he was still corrupt. He mistreated many people, especially the Samurai. By 1335, Go-Daigo lost all support of the Samurai. I believe Wano-Kuni's current condition parallels the Kemmu Restoration. The Shogun of Wano was the Shogun a while back, but he was exiled for his corrupt ways. However, he came back with more power and burned down Wano and become the Shogun again. Then, he mistreated the Samurai.

The war before the Kemmu Restoration was the Mongul Invasion. The invasion was led by Kublai, who has connections with a Mongul named Kaidu. There is also a road in Kamakura called Kaido, which is where some of Go-Daigo's revolution took place. I believe Mongul Kaidu and Kamakura Kaido hint the Yonko Kaido had something to do with the Shogun taking back Wano.

Maybe Kaido found the Shogun after he was exiled, and saw potential in him. Kaido decided to give him a devil fruit that would give him enough power to take back Wano, in exchange for allying Wano's forces with Kaido. I believe this devil fruit is a Dragon Zoan. Maybe he burned Wano with his dragon flame ability, or maybe him and his supporters burned Wano normally. After he burned down Wano, he took his throne back and mistreated the Samurai.

So the Shogun of Wano, who was exiled, returns with a dragon Zoan, burns Wano, takes his throne back, kills Oden, and mistreats the Samurai. I think that is enough of a crime to make Kin'emon hate all dragons to death.

Back to the history, around the time Go-Daigo lost all support of the Samurai, a man named Ashikaga Takauji and his forces escaped from the clutches of Go-Daigo. Go-Daigo sent forces after Takauji, and Takauji was eventually defeated. However, he managed to escape to an island called Kyushu. Kyushu is famous for its volcanic eruptions, similar to Zou. On Kyushu, Takauji gained new forces, and started a revolution against Go-Daigo. With this new army, Takauji managed to defeat Go-Daigo, and a new emperor was appointed. Takauji become the Shogun. In order to stay alive, Go-Daigo gave up the 3 Imperial Regalia of Japan.

Takauji represents Momo's group. They escaped Wano to head to Zou to assemble an army of Minks to revolt against the Shogun and take back Wano-Kuni. On the way there, they were shipwrecked and Jack was hunting down Raizo. Raizo managed to escape and hide on Zou. Momo's group assembled a new army at Zou, which is the Pirate-Ninja-Mink-Samurai alliance.

So, what is Zoro's role in Wano? Eventually, the revolutionary army of Wano will realize that he's only there to help defeat Kaido and the Shogun. Maybe Kin'emon will convince them. The Shogun is probably the best swordsman of Wano, so Zoro will want to challenge him alone.

There are plenty of reasons why Zoro should fight the Shogun. Well, the greatest swordsman is enough of a reason. Zoro represents a tiger, and tigers and dragons usually always fight in many mythologies. Fisher Tiger waged war against the Celestial Dragons. In this case, the good tiger is fighting the evil dragons. That might be a hinting Zoro, the good guy who represents a tiger, fighting the Shogun, the dragon Zoan who is a bad guy. Zoro also defeated a dragon in Punk Hazard, around the same time he met Kin'emon's legs. This might be foreshadowing of Zoro fighting a dragon in Wano-Kuni.

Will Zoro gain any new swords in Wano? Most likely. I'll be disappointed if he doesn't. There are many Wano style cover pages, which may have hints to Zoro's new swords. The swords that appeared most were red, purple, black, blue, orange, and plain wooden. I would prefer a new color, like blue, purple, plain wooden, or orange.

The cover page of Chapter 352 has a sun in the background that's very similar to the sun on Wano-Kuni's flag. The Strawhats are on roosters, while Zoro is on a chick. That implies Zoro getting something new in Wano. Maybe a new sword will be forged for him. In the cover page, Zoro is wearing a blue strap to hold his sword. Maybe this means he will gain a blue sword. But what do all the roosters mean? In Japanese mythology, roosters are associated with the sun, which is associated with the being Amaterasu. This cover page has roosters and a sun, so I believe it's referencing Amaterasu.

The brother of Amaterasu was called Susanoo. He had a powerful sword called Totsuka no Tsurugi. He used this sword to slay a dragon called Yamata no Orochi. Orochi was described as a dragon with 8 heads and 8 tails. it had a body that grew moss, and it's overall length extended over 8 valleys and 8 hills. Susanoo came down from Paradise and came across people that were being tormented by Orochi. Susanoo distracted Orochi with sake and then proceeded to slay it. When he sliced the middle tail, his sword broke. His sword broke because inside the middle tail of Orochi was another sword, a legendary sword so powerful it broke his own. It was called Kusanagi. Susanoo gave this sword to Amaterasu to settle a grievance. It was later given to a great warrior along with a flame striker. The warrior discovered that Kusanagi had the power to control the wind. He used his fire striker with Kusanagi to create a flame storm that would burn down his opponents.

Zoro has a moss head and he loves sake. He also came from Paradise, another word for the first half of the Grand Line. This could be Orochi foreshadowing. Since Orochi had a body that grew moss, maybe he has a moss head as well. Perhaps he's related to Zoro. His father, or brother?

I believe Zoro's fight with the Shogun will parallel Susanoo's fight with the Shogun. The Shogun will have a sword similar to Kusanagi, a sword with a wind ability, maybe even named Kusanagi. Since he's a dragon, he might also have a flame ability. During the fight, one of Zoro's swords will break, probably the Sandai Kitetsu, since it's the lowest quality. After Zoro defeats the Shogun, he'll take the Shogun's sword and give it to Wano to settle the Shuusui grievance, but they'll give it to him because he's a true warrior, one who deserves such a blade. They'll also give him another gift, a fire sword. Maybe they'll upgrade one of his swords and make it a fire sword. That way he can use the wind sword and the fire sword to make a fire storm. Imagine a flaming Tatsu Maki.

I mentioned that the Shogun will have a dragon Devil Fruit. I believe the specific fruit is the Dragon-Dragon no mi, model: Orochi. It could be mythical or ancient, or both, since Orochi is from an ancient myth. Since Orochi has 8 heads and 8 tails, he might use 16 sword style, possibly even 18 sword style if he uses his arms. 18 sword style would be cool, since it doubles Zoro's 9 sword style.

Let's go back to the important point you remember, the 3 Imperial Regalia of Japan. The 3 Imperial Regalia of japan are 3 sacred treasures. One of them is the legendary wind sword Kusanagi, which represents courage. The other 2 Imperial Regalia are the mirror, Yata no Kagami, which represents wisdom, and the jewel, Yasakani no Magatama, which represents benevolence. Go-Daigo hid these 3 treasures before he was exiled the first time and gave them up when he was defeated after his second reign of power.

I believe Wano has 3 Imperial Regalia as well. The Shogun's sword represents Kusanagi. Since Yata no Kagami is a Japanese treasure that represents wisdom, the swordsman of the Gorosei may have it. Wano seemingly has no current emperor, so maybe the swordsman of the Gorosei was the emperor of Wano when the title still existed. If not, maybe he was the Shogun. Maybe his weapon, seemingly the Shodai Kitetsu is the treasure that represents wisdom, but his Kitetsu is not a mirror. Yata no Kagami is also the light mirror that enables Kizaru to move to a certain place at the speed of light. Kizaru is not wise, but I believe the Pika-Pika no mi was the treasure of Wano that represents the Yata no Kagami. Maybe it belonged to the swordsman of the Gorosei, and he gave it Kizaru.

The Pika-Pika no mi can also represent the Yasakani no Magatama, since Kizaru also has a technique named after it, but neither Kizaru or the swordsman of the Gorosei are exactly benevolent, so I doubt it. I believe Yasakani no Magatama is Kokutou Yoru, the Kokutou that belongs to Hawk Eyes Mihawk. Yoru is decorated with jewels, and Mihawk's holy theme can represent the benevolence. So the Shogun's sword, Kokutou Yoru, and the Pika-Pika no mi are the Imperial Regalia of Wano-Kuni.

We also know that Shuusui is a national treasure of Japan. But I don't believe Shuusui represents one of the 3 Imperial Regalia. I believe it represents the Honjo Masamune, otherwise known as "The Lost National Treasure" of Japan. The Honjo Masamune was a national treasure of Japan that was passed down from Shogun to Shogun for many centuries, until it was lost after World War 2. This event was a tragedy for Japan. When Shuusui was stolen, it was a tragedy for Wano. The 2 stories are similar.

Before the Mongul Invasion and the Kemmu Restoration, there was another Emperor that was exiled from Japan. Maybe this emperor represents Shiryu. If not, Shiryu was probably one of the Daimyo. This can spark up some more hype for Zoro to fight Shiryu.

Anyway, that's all for this theory. See ya.

Last edited: May 14, 2016
    Railgun99, Markorus, Thabeast and 7 others like this.
  2. KevinMarkRoy

KevinMarkRoy

Bounty Points:
    Great theory , its plausible parallel :yaaa:

I don't think zoro would give back something he earned just like that , he is not a charitable kind of person (but he does care about the innocent's lifes) , Im sure there would be a fight but seeing zoro's skills with the sword the samurai's would believe that zoro defeated ryuma.

Treeko D James likes this.
  3. Mjay07

Mjay07

Bounty Points:
    Very great theory and well thought out. Honestly I've been theory after theory for wano just because I'm a big zoro fan and I can't wait to see how Oda plays this out!!! Super excited. Great job

4. RulZ

RulZ

Bounty Points:
    What you're saying mostly makes sense, but there's no way Kaido would give out such a powerful devil fruit to the shogun if he's not one of his calamities, which apparently he isn't.

5. Rimshaker

Rimshaker

Bounty Points:
    "Zoro has a moss head and he loves sake. He also came from Paradise, another word for the first half of the Grand Line."

Zoro is from East Blue, Bro....

Beside that correction, I don't have anything to argue...
    Nice connection you made here

Treeko D James likes this.
  6. Mat D Bizzo

Mat D Bizzo

Bounty Points:
    Hmmmm maybe, maybe not. I thik the Shogun is not powerful physically but he has a strong backing of strong swordsmen protecting his back. Though this is a good theory..

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice