One Piece Characters Zoro Is Equal To Luffy - Oda Said So! This Is False

Discussion in 'The Books Of Ohara' started by Divvens, Apr 23, 2014.

Tags:

Share This Page

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Divvens

Divvens

Bounty Points:
    It recently came to my notice that another misinformation (all thanks to yet another Databook) has been going around the One Piece community for quite a while, a quick Google search lead me to so many debates which made me facepalm.

First, let me guide you to this wonderful thread created by @Sammy, where yet another Databook was proven false - Sabo Is Alive - Oda Did Not Confirm Sabo Is Dead!

Misconceptions about Databooks
    The databooks are not written by Oda, it does not contain facts that "Oda" has confirmed, it does contain information at times not revealed in the manga such as character names etc but most of the content in Databooks are put together based on knowledge from the series -- it's like a guide to One Piece, all knowledge of One Piece (mainly related to characters) are gathered in this book.

Databooks often are quoted to have "confirmed" something which only turns out wrong later, it is because they are just data we already know simplified or wrapped up for the sake of simplification. Fans should by now know not to trust the Databook's words 100% -- the Databooks are unreliable at the best of times.

But, if the Databook is put together based on knowledge from the series, then it states Zoro is equal to Luffy!
    Wrong! The Databook never stated Zoro is "equal" to Luffy, the databook only contains a table of character traits, and the "strength" trait had numbers 1 to 6, 1 being the weakest and 6 being the strongest. Both Luffy & Zoro had "6/6" on their strength trait.

The Databook containing this "traits" was published in 2002/2007 (Red and/or Yellow Databooks), the information stated in that is quite dated now (especially post timeskip). No where is it stated that Zoro & Luffy are equals, "strength" in One Piece is very basic, as "strength" isn't all that counts while two opponents face each other, if "strength" was the most important trait in One Piece, then Giants would be the strongest race (whereas we've seen that isn't the case.)

But the Databook states in written words that Zoro is equal to Luffy!
    Wrong again!
    There is no "translation" of the whole Databook, neither did any reputable and credible fan translator complete the "translation." There exists many "rumors" and "false" translations of what the book states:

CCC from Arlong Park Forums who is a credible and respected translator has stated:
    That is the language used, and as CCC confirmed it definitely doesn't say "he is just as strong as Luffy."

Hopefully this clears out any and all doubts about this debate, it is not confirmed anywhere (by Oda or Databooks) that Zoro = Luffy.

Last edited: Apr 23, 2014
  2. MDN

MDN

Bounty Points:
    I never considered Luffy and Zoro to be equal to Luffy but I do remeber reading somewhere that Oda stated that any fight between the monster trio would end in a draw. This lead people to believe that the monster trio, not just Zoro and Luffy, where all equals but in same reading Oda stated that he hated the questions 'Who would win in a fight between "X" and "Y"?' so he would always just reply it would be a draw.

3. Takt

Takt Robin Sanji

Bounty Points:
  4. Anthony

Anthony

Bounty Points:
  5. Kadis

Kadis

Bounty Points:
    The databooks need to die!!!!!

[​IMG]

6. Kaiser

Kaiser Wanted! Wanted

Bounty Points:
    The Databooks are not a reliable source of information.
    I honestly don't know how people can take what's mentioned in these Databooks seriously.

Last edited: Apr 23, 2014
  7. Luke

Luke

Bounty Points:
    Oh great more databooks and their so called canon facts

DATA BOOKS ARE NOT CANON they are just pieces of information taken from the anime series including fillers and they are about as relevant as wiki pages from the internet which anyone can edit.

8. Kadis

Kadis

Bounty Points:
    The only sources that should matter if you want clarification on One Piece is the SBS, a japanese article translated by a reliable translator and anime news network. That is it.

9. Saiken

Saiken Sanji

Bounty Points:
    HAHAHA.. yeah . .agree..
    i heard about those data book .. but i never had an interest on reading it.

10. UchaNekome

UchaNekome

Bounty Points:
    IDK One Piece Wiki's pretty accurate. But you're right. ANYONE can edit them so who knows how long it will be before I find some crap on the wiki page...

11. Luke

Luke

Bounty Points:
    ^ this

Yeah anyone can edit them and I dreaded debates were members would say databook this databook that and then go wiki this wiki that it was not much fun being a mod on some forums >.<

12. UchaNekome

UchaNekome

Bounty Points:
    Each data book is different, but VIZ translates some of them. Green was translated and I got it from the library. The data book was a simple reinstatement of the events in One Piece...that's it. When it said Sabo died it was stating what the manga wanted you to think. As far as we knew Sabo COULD have been dead. But no one REALLY thought so. Oda himself said he would leave it to the fans to decide for themselves in an SBS. He usually gives vague statements about spoilery things.
    --- Double Post Merged, Apr 26, 2014, Original Post Date: Apr 26, 2014 ---
    SBS's are the best sources of information in One Piece...but you gotta know when he's joking or not.

13. Luke

Luke

Bounty Points:
    Cool glad to hear the databook is good though I've given up on databooks long a time ago and yeah stuff that has been show to be more the Author like SBS is always welcomed to see and a sense of humour works well in debates sometimes too XD

14. Kaiser

Kaiser Wanted! Wanted

Bounty Points:
    Yeah.. I also gave up on them a long time ago. I've been glued to the SBS ever since.

15. Erza

Erza

Bounty Points:
    Luffy's going to be the strongest in the end anyway, because this is a shonen, and he is the main character.

16. Kaiser

Kaiser Wanted! Wanted

Bounty Points:
    Quick, someone kill these Databooks before they reproduce!!! :p :rofl: :lmao:(I'm joking)

But seriously though:
    Long live the SBS!!! :yaaa:

17. Monkey D Diraj

Monkey D Diraj

Bounty Points:
    I tried to read the databooks and found it as fun as what I guess the thrill level would be if I stuck my man parts in a cheese grater. Let's just say if they fought it would be really bad for both of them and anybody around. Now law would punk them both........... Jk

18. Meliodas

Meliodas

Bounty Points:
    Zoro is strong but luffy is *stronger* than zoro and also Captain should be the strongest but this is not applicable in Buggy's case LOL XD

19. RapperDJD

RapperDJD

Bounty Points:
    I think they shouldn’t compare ZORO to LUFFY coz ZORO is strong but the captain should be stronger so that he can protect all his nakama.

20. Jacksonlv5

Jacksonlv5

Bounty Points:
    Who knows maybe at this very moment in time Luffy and Zorro share a similar level of strength but in order to become the pirate king Luffy will have to become the strongest,richest and the most famous pirate ever to sail the grand line.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice