Discussion William Minvera is an organization

Discussion in 'The Promised Neverland' started by Raycont, Jun 12, 2017.

Share This Page

1. Raycont

Raycont

Bounty Points:
    William Minerva, perhaps the most mysterious part about this series aside from the Demons themselves.

What we already know:

- William Minerva is an entity that appears to be a supporter of humanity
    - You can find William Minerva outside of the walls at the location the pen shows you
    - The scientists, at least one of them, are working together with William Minerva

The theory:

Let's first look at the name William Minerva.
    The name William comes from the Germanic Name Wilhelma and can be translated to Wil - will, desire and helma - helmet, protection.
    https://www.behindthename.com/name/william

The name Minerva comes from the Roman goddess of i.a. wisdom.
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Minerva

So we have a name that translates to desire for protection or desire to protect and the roman goddess of wisdom.
    Or even The Desire to protect Wisdom. (Credit goes to @Blue Rose )
    Which is very befitting of an entity that wants to protect the children and works together with the scientists at the orphanage.

Furthermore the goddess Minerva's was often depicted alongside her sacred creature which was the owl of Minerva.
    Now this should sound familiar to you, because in The Promised Neverland William Minerva's logo is also an owl.
    Credit to @Narendran for bringing that up.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

So my theory is that all of this symbolism can't be a coincidence and that William Minerva is not a person and instead an organization that was intentionally named like that.
    It is usually either to make people root for a person rather than a faceless organization.
    People love to look up to heroes.

Last edited: Jun 12, 2017
    Den_Den_Mushi, Coton, Jakubi and 6 others like this.
  2. Kagura

Kagura

Bounty Points:
    What kind of protection is Minerva providing? And what kind of hero is he ? The children are still looked upon as merchandise in a children growing farm. That's the verdict. If he was a hero he should have done something to protect the last remnants of humanity. It's clear that human race is at the bottom of the food chain. These demons have overtaken the world and made them food.

Another reason why I think these Minerva person is not a hero is because he is clearly affiliated with the demons. Hence they allow his books to be kept in the farm library. If they knew these books would cause a revolution they would have removed them.

So I'm not sure what way this person is trying to help them. The codes/ tips given are also very hard to understand. None of the other children have understood them before.

So at the moment I don't know if this person is a hero or a villain.

And it's a person alright. He's most probably a scientist working for the demons.

3. Raycont

Raycont

Bounty Points:
    You're implying that Minerva existed before the Demons took over which is just a speculation right now.

I think it's the opposite, the books are in there but the code is really hard on purpose.
    So that the Demons don't notice it.

LogicoftheVI, Railgun99 and Kagura like this.
  4. Shu

Shu

Bounty Points:
    William Minerva probably is a pen name also video game designer, screenwriter, director and producer
    most notably in the Adventure Log of Ugo series

LogicoftheVI and Kagura like this.
  5. Blue Rose

Blue Rose

Bounty Points:
    When I read your opening @Raycont I thought of something. What if the entire name means desire to protect knowledge ? Then it would make sense that they want to protect only those who are intelligent enough to understand the riddle. They want to save those who are a hope for humanity.

6. Kagura

Kagura

Bounty Points:
    It's a trap. Even if someone decodes them where do they escape to? Into more demons ? I'm doubtful about Minerva's intentions.

7. Raycont

Raycont

Bounty Points:
    That actually makes sense.
    Though it would paint him in a different light.
    Not exactly evil but different.

It would make sense from multiple angles actually:

1) If they are indeed a revolution they probably don't have a lot of resources and need to carefully choose who they can take in.
    2) From a writer's perspective, it would re-open the conflict of saving everyone at high risk or saving only the strong at lower risk. The conflict Emma and Ray had in the beginning.

Yeah it could all be a trap.
    But what else could the children do to fight back if there's no revolution to help them?
    Super powers?
    I mean they are kids, they have no chance against the Demons they can only run away if no one helps them.

8. Kagura

Kagura

Bounty Points:
    That's the thing. How long are they gonna run? How long are they gonna avoid the inevitable?
    Honestly I had some hope when the children escaped. But after seeing how quickly the pursuers caught up to them I have lost hope.
    After seeing how Ray outsmmarts these demons I'll be able to guess the chances of survival. So far it looks like Minerva has made their lives worse.

9. Raycont

Raycont

Bounty Points:
    No he hasn't made their lives worse.
    If they stay they all die within a couple of years and their brains will be eaten by demons, if they try to escape they have at least a chance.

And what do you mean you lost hope? Do you think they will all die now and that's the end of the story? ^^

10. Deleted member 10852

Deleted member 10852 Guest

Bounty Points:
    Thanks for the credit. Although it wasn't necessary. I only did a google search of it because you mentioned Minerva being a goddess xD

On to the theory itself, I really dig the idea. Kids do like to turn to a hero rather than an organisation. Much more believable and gives the kids hope there would be someone out there when they escape the place. I also really like what @Blue Rose said about protecting only those who are knowledgeable and smart or someone who have something to contribute to putting an end to the demons. Does make me wonder what they would do to the other kids that Emma and Ray brought that aren't so smart and have low physical ability...

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 12, 2017
  11. Kagura

Kagura

Bounty Points:
    Yeah I think their numbers will decrease until they reach Minerva. Last remaining would be only a few of the children.

LogicoftheVI, Railgun99 and Raycont like this.
  12. Raycont

Raycont

Bounty Points:
    Interesting.
    I don't think so, but I would like that.

I wonder what would happen to them...
    Would be interesting to see what happens if they arrive and it turns out everything is as they hoped it would be but when Emma and Ray meet the leaders of the organization they would be told that there's not enough room for all of them.

13. Deleted member 10852

Deleted member 10852 Guest

Bounty Points:
    Considering how the books stopped publishing in 2015 and it' been 30 years since then there must have been a major change in the outside world and the rebel army. Lack of resources to go against the demons due to that. All the more reason I see them wanting to take only the kids that have something to contribute.

LogicoftheVI, Railgun99 and Raycont like this.
  14. Raycont

Raycont

Bounty Points:
    Emma and Ray won't like that though.
    And this would go back to the conflict that we had at the very beginning of the series.

But this time it's even worse because even after escaping they're still not safe.

15. Jakubi

Jakubi

Bounty Points:
    Maybe William is the first one to actually flee the system and then started the organisation at trying to help the kids in the farms some time ago and it took his name to honor his work
    --- Double Post Merged, Jun 12, 2017, Original Post Date: Jun 12, 2017 ---
    It would be the smart move from an attacking point of view, if you start a revolution and want minimum casualties you take a selected few and use them to win the battles

Brain over brawn??

16. Railgun99

Railgun99

Bounty Points:
    These are good points you bring up. Everyone wants a hero so that's understandable. I also like what @Blue Rose said because it goes back to the conflict we had in the beginning regarding how 'you can't save everyone'. It would also make William Minerva - be it a person or an organization - a grey character/organization and reinforce the idea that even in the outside world, the kids aren't safe. It would be like playing with what Emma, Ray and the others had thought the outside world was, a paradise - a Neverland but turns out, its a cruel world out there :hides:

(Though this is quite a sad idea)

17. Sect D

Sect D

Bounty Points:
    Chances of william minerva being an organisation is quite there as a possibility considering huge number of books printed with lots of information which seem quite impossible for an individual.

Also, i believe this minerva organisation is EVIL. You may think i am crazy but that pen and those books no matter how i think about it, it seems to be a trap...

1. They were taught about the codes by the system yet the system couldnt notice those codes in the books on very first page...it makes demonic system look as stupid...

2. The pen was given by the sister krone. It may seem she did the good thing but really... At that point, she wasnt aware of her fate, she might have thought she would be jusr transfered to other section. Considering her personality, she hated mother and decided to ruin her plans which she can do by just making norman's plan work. But to help norman to the farthest end to meet an enemy, i dont think so that would be a betraying demons and sealing her fate as food. I think william minerva may be second stage like food factories of demons...
    Beside, how come sister knew about the location and pen, if it wasnt their allies...

I think it may be the place where she got trained and that demonic leader XXX lives...

Last edited: Jun 12, 2017
    Raycont and LogicoftheVI like this.
  18. Raycont

Raycont

Bounty Points:
    In that case it would still be a huge conincidence that he had this perfectly symbolic name for their organization.^^

Brain over brawn could be what they're going for.

I see what you're saying.
    It's not like I'm 100% set on Minerva being a good guy, there are some things that are really suspicious.

However if Minerva was evil and is working with the Demons why did they bring the pen into the orphanage in a way that relies on luck instead of just putting it there?
    Krone could've done all kinds of things with that pen.

To me it seems like Krone had no evil intentions when she gave the pen to Norman.

Also about the code in the book, I agree that it is weird that a kid found out before the Demons, however I don't think the Demons would think of morse code in the stamp on the book, no one would've thought of that. Doesn't make them look stupid imo
    --- Double Post Merged, Jun 12, 2017, Original Post Date: Jun 12, 2017 ---
    This just came to my mind:

Neverland is actually such a cruel name for this manga because in Peter Pan the Neverland is a place where children never grow up.
    They don't grow up in TPN either^^

19. LogicoftheVI

LogicoftheVI

Bounty Points:
    This is a really good theory and well put together with what little information we know about him thus far.
    I think I am starting to believe that William Minerva is the name of a group of people and not just one person.
    The resources that one man would need to infiltrate the farm are ridiculous makes me feel like there is some underground network involved.
    Great find on the name meaning it fit's very nicely with not only what William Minerva represents but the name of the story as well.
    The Owl is another good find as well.
    I cannot wait until we get more information and can expand on this theory.

Damn that Peter Pan reference tho!! :eek::eek:

20. Railgun99

Railgun99

Bounty Points:
    That actually makes sense :eek:

And the idea of Neverland to all in general is perceived as something out of a fairy tale - something that isn't real. Just like how Emma and the kids are searching for a safe haven that might not even be there - they're promised a haven that probably isn't real hence the title The Promised Neverland.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice