Discussion Why did Jōichirō Yukihira not graduate?

Discussion in 'Shokugeki No Soma' started by Soma, May 15, 2016.

Share This Page

?

Do you agree?

1. Yes

1 vote(s)
    12.5%
  2. No

3 vote(s)
    37.5%
  3. Maybe

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  4. The could be more to it, it might be a hint in the future.

4 vote(s)
    50.0%
  1. Soma

Soma

Bounty Points:
    Jōichirō Yukihira (幸平 城一郎 Yukihira Jōichirō) is the father of Sōma Yukihira. Formerly known as Jōichirō Saiba (才波 城一郎 Saiba Jōichirō) he was a 69th Tōtsuki Generation student, a former resident of the Polar Star Dormitory, and a previous 2nd seat of the Elite Ten Council. For unknown reasons he did not graduate from Tōtsuki Culinary Academy, but Jōichirō still became a world famous chef before settling down in Sumiredōri Shopping District to open his own restaurant, Restaurant Yukihira.
    [​IMG]
    And he didn't graduate...
    [​IMG]
    Although he is like one of the badass characters, you can't blame him...

I personally think, it has something to do with the
    Stagiaire Arc; it occurs as soon as the Autumn Election Final ends. Stagiare is an event where students are sent to the former alumni or professional chefs' restaurants all around the world, if they don't meet the requirement they face expulsion. For example when Soma had his second Stagiaire at Kojirō Shinomiya's restaurant at France he developed some skills as well and faced some troubles too.​
    [​IMG]

But some students end up working for the restaurant, we learn it from chapter 105 when Jun explains the basic of Stagiare. And could it possibly be connected to it? Did Joichiro do the same and worked for a top restaurant, although he was second seat back then.

[​IMG]
    [Scene from Shokugeki no Souma Chapter 105]

Give me some of your ideas as well?

Last edited by a moderator: May 18, 2016
  2. Shinji

Shinji

Bounty Points:
    To be honest, one of the main reasons, I can think of him not graduating is, that he could've already reached the limit of everything that he could learn at Tōtsuki, so I guess he didn't see any point in graduating and simply left the academy. Now although I can see that being one of the main reasons, I will admit, I do think there is more to it than just that.
    --- Double Post Merged, May 16, 2016, Original Post Date: May 16, 2016 ---
    I don't see this being the reason that Jōichirō left, simply because I can't see him doing something like that.

rominmusa, Putu and Soma like this.
  3. Soma

Soma

Bounty Points:
    Or he just left due to expulsion in a Shokugeki or... I got another idea but its more social...

Putu likes this.
  4. Soma

Soma

Bounty Points:
    So last theory was way off, it seemed so impossible to occur in that path, so I quickly reacted and something meteor smashed my head, I thought of another way but its more romantically based theory about Joichiro.
    [​IMG]
    You know how quoted to Souma:

[​IMG]

This gives you an idea, that Joichiro must of given up everything for this women a.k.a. Souma's mom. I think both Joichiro and his partner went to Totsuki Culinary Academy, then his partner probably failed on a exam, for example, the training camp arc where every one went to the hotel resort owned by Gin, then we learn Megumi fails one of them as Shinomiya harshly judges her due to his philosophy and is nearly expelled but Soma get pissed off and then Souma challenges him to a Shokugeki.

However, we see a draw occurred right in the final moments of the unofficial Shokugeki and Souma and Megumi managed to avoid expulsion, maybe Joichiro had a same situation however he lost which caused his expulsion and his lost. If you read the quote again Joichiro will give every thing to her well it's not just food but he would do anything for her, the word 'food' acts as a replacement for everything.

This is the theory, I am sure it sound humorous but I am improving my theoretical skills step by step...

Exma, LogicoftheVI, Putu and 9 others like this.
  5. Raftie

Raftie

Bounty Points:
    I always thought it has to do with Soma's mother. Also, I think Erina's father play a big part on this as well and Tootsuki Academy's history.

Last edited: May 18, 2016
    Putu and Soma like this.
  6. Hi Shin Unit

Hi Shin Unit

Bounty Points:
    I think it something more deeper because if it was the same case, Gin should had notice that this is basically the same scenario like Joichiro.

So IMO Joichiro not graduating must be deeper and Azami & Soma mother are part of the puzzle for being blamed. Such as Azami is doing all this for Joichiro sake. Chapter 151
    [​IMG]

Back in the day in high school, Joichiro must had been like Azami

Putu, Shinji and Soma like this.
  7. Captain Highlander

Captain Highlander

Bounty Points:
    Honorable Diploma. The best diploma ever.

Putu and Soma like this.
  8. iamzea

iamzea

Bounty Points:
    Did he quit or was he kicked out?

Putu and Soma like this.
  9. Soma

Soma

Bounty Points:
    Well I don't think he supports Joichiro in that, he probably means Joichiro soft side costing him his graduation, and Nakiri doesn't want anyone to be soft sided and take Shokugeki less serious! He technically wants a strict school...

Putu and Hi Shin Unit like this.
  10. Hi Shin Unit

Hi Shin Unit

Bounty Points:
    Azami goal is to have high quality food which are healthy.
    So no more fast food chains lolz

Azami role of teaching is technically the Real life equivalent of todays chefs in training.

Putu and Soma like this.
  11. Soma

Soma

Bounty Points:
    Well yeah he just wants to stick to one thing, rather different foods from different clubs...

Putu and Hi Shin Unit like this.
  12. Shinji

Shinji

Bounty Points:
    If I'm to think about this as something a little more deeper than leaving for not being able to learn anything new, then maybe Jōichirō could've left due to some kind of clash with someone, like maybe a personality clash perhaps. Or maybe it might have something to do with Sōma's mother. Though to be honest, this topic is so random, that it could be anything.

Putu and Soma like this.
  13. Justgalon

Justgalon

Bounty Points:
    Honestly i don't know why, but i think it because revenge past. Just IMO :D

Putu and Soma like this.
  14. Putu

Putu

Bounty Points:
    Maybe spending with Soma's Mom much, or getting job after Stagiarie Arch then focusing travel around world learning cooking style, get along with her wife, spending much time serve Erina (when she was kid), etc...

Soma likes this.
  15. Soma

Soma

Bounty Points:
    True, I think he thought the school was boring...

Putu likes this.
  16. Putu

Putu

Bounty Points:
    Hell yes, boring man, loves traveling a lot, he's travelers xD

The bothering ones is his name, 'Yukihira'. Well Japanese thing after married always changing his/her last name (as family's name), so his using her wife name as family's name not 'Joichiro'.
    Nah 'Yukihira's' family is takepart of his journey, why he cooking for Erina (child), why he didn't graduate, is 'Yukihira's' have related with Senzaemon, well that's from me :)

Soma likes this.
  17. Devil

Devil

Bounty Points:
    i say this they blamed Yukihiras dad for cheating and kicked him out of the school. Japanese food industry disrespected him and no job for him. That is the reason he is travelling chef around the world where as in itself in japan he has nothing more than a diner. Azami went to watever place and came back to japan to take revenge on japanese culinary orgonaizations

Soma likes this.
  18. LogicoftheVI

LogicoftheVI

Bounty Points:
    Great theory I'm definitely interested in finding out more on this subject.

Whatever reason Jou has for not graduating, it's pretty clear to me he's still on good terms with the academy. He's still good friends with Grandfather Nakiri and he did send his son there to get better. At this point I think Jou walked away from the academy and whatever Azami is talking about came after.

I could also see whatever happened to Jou being the trigger twthatent Azami down the path he's on now. This idea kind of lends itself more to the side of Jou being kicked out of the school.

Last edited: Jul 22, 2016
    Soma likes this.
  19. Soma

Soma

Bounty Points:
    I mean Joichiro is a freelance badass cook

20. Devil

Devil

Bounty Points:
    issue is not that he good cook we already know since he was second seat the issue is he never graduated

Soma likes this.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice