Others What happened to bounty hunters?

Discussion in 'Characters, Groups & Organizations Discussion' started by dizzy2341, Sep 12, 2016.

Share This Page

?

Do you think bounty hunters are underrepresented in One Piece?

1. Yes

24 vote(s)
    63.2%
  2. No

2 vote(s)
    5.3%
  3. They are not needed

12 vote(s)
    31.6%
  1. dizzy2341

dizzy2341

Bounty Points:
    I was thinking about the world of One Piece and the different factions and stuff then I realised... What happened to the bounty hunters?

One of the most interesting things in One Piece are bounty posters.

They give us a decent indication of strength even though strength isn't 100% what makes up a bounty.

There are hype moments when the straw hats get an increase and it is really cool to see where they stand in the world and how much of a threat the government actually see them as.

But how come there are hardly any bounty hunters to collect these bounties? I can't remember the last important canon bounty hunter. When has the main antagonistic of an arc actually been a bounty hunter? It is as if the bounties are not there for the bounty hunters to collect but are simply hype tools.

Also on a separate point, who is bringing in a billion berry bounty person? No fodder is brining in Dragon so they might as well not even have a bounty for him. The marines don't get the reward since it is their job, literally every single bounty hunter we have seen is fodder or seriously unimportant and weak and pirates can't go get the bounty because... well you know, they will get their asses caught too. So who is getting the bounties?

Do you think in the future Oda will elaborate a bit more on bounty hunters and give us a decent character who is actually a threat to pirates rather than some scrubby punching bag? Just imagine how awesome it would be if Mihawk was a bounty hunter, but Mihawk is so sick as a warlord so I'm not complaining.

ewhee~ and Flower like this.
  2. Erkan12

Erkan12

Bounty Points:
    Chinjao fodderized the last one.

3. Byakko Zoro

Byakko Zoro

Bounty Points:
    The nomenclature speaks for itself.

Bounty hunter(s) mostly move solo or in small groups, which makes taking down a NW crew that much harder. Most large scale operations are carried by organizations such as Buggy's Pirate Dispatch company, Mafias, mercenary armies like the Vinsmokes or large pirate crews like the Yonko.

As we move into elite territory, the Yonko, the chances of solo bounty hunters retrieving their prey exponentially plummet.

They also have to compete with powerful groups such as the Marines and other pirate crews, who are far more adept at large scale conflicts. How are you supposed to take out Jack and his armada as a mere Bounty Hunter? Or even Worst Generation crews?

In East Blue and podunk cities (Franky family in Water 7) the vocation is far more profital as we're talking about small time rookies.

1 Crocodile, who is enough to hunt every single pirate setting foot in Alabasta, is bit a mere ran-also in the Yonko controlled NW.

Now let's talk economics. Raw, pure, greedy MONAY. Say the wife keeps pestering you to splurge 1 billion beri on a vocation in the carribians complete with a dreamy beachfront duplex, luxury cruise ships and the stringray fantasy pool she kept dreaming about.

Do you go mammoth hunting in the Mongol half-beast-DF-guzzling-frankenstein infested Kaido empire or go to freaking Sabaody and hunt 3 supernovas?

The third reason is.... bounty hunters are boring af. All they want is to kill some pirates and make some bread. That jean ango freak could barely last in Diamante's colloesum - Diamente! You want him to take on Doffy?

Bottomline, to create an engaging bounty hunter you need to invest in a compelling backstory, inspiring motives or just drop badass moxie like there's no tomorrow just so he wont waste precious time allocated to bigger and better beasts like the supernova and the Vinsmokes.

Still, I'm hoping they'll get their moment to shine in a more conducive arc, maybe a badass itinerant samurai in Wano.

Last edited: Sep 12, 2016
  4. dizzy2341

dizzy2341

Bounty Points:
    Good post, I wasn't expecting him to be able to beat Doffy lol. I was just thinking it would be really good if we got some actual bounty hunters who weren't fodder. If the Vinsmokes were the best family of bounty hunters in the world that would be freaking awesome but I prefer what Oda wrote. It's just a shame to see so many interesting characters go by and not a single interesting one be a bounty hunter.

I know these characters are far better in their actual position but I was just thinking how epic it would be if they were bounty hunters.

Mihawk, just imagine whenever you see a ship cut in half it is an indication a God is approaching you.

Law, suddenly your whole crew is surrounded in this blue haze, mayhem is sure to follow

Whitebeard Jr

Van Auger

Also I think there should be some bounty hunters who were so strong that if they worked in a pack they legit could capture someone as strong as Jack. It would be really interesting and add a new threat to the world.

Last edited: Sep 12, 2016
  5. Sophiaa

Sophiaa

Bounty Points:
    Aren´t the Shichibukai bounty hunters though ? They seem to do a decent job, just look at Weevel destroying most of the WB pirates .

6. dizzy2341

dizzy2341

Bounty Points:
    They technically arn't bounty hunters because they don't receive a bounty for turning in wanted pirates. It is part of ther job as a warlord. Bounty hunters are like daddy the father from way way way back in Logue town.

Ariadne_Wyvern, Flower and Sophiaa like this.
  7. Sophiaa

Sophiaa

Bounty Points:
    Really ? But didn´t Mihawk went after Krieg, for having the highest bounty in East Blue ?

Ivan Zonder and dizzy2341 like this.
  8. dizzy2341

dizzy2341

Bounty Points:
    Nah he went after him because he wanted to. Mihawk wouldn't listen to the government if they told him to do that anyway. He simply did it because he felt like it. I think Krieg pissed him off but can't really remember.

Ariadne_Wyvern and Sophiaa like this.
  9. Sophiaa

Sophiaa

Bounty Points:
    I don´t really think Mihawk would refuse to go after him, should the government told him to do so, since he did show up to Marineford and found for them after all.

Ivan Zonder and dizzy2341 like this.
  10. dizzy2341

dizzy2341

Bounty Points:
    Yeah but when they had the meeting to decide the next warlord, the government were surprised Mihawk actually bothered to show up implying that he doesn't usually follow orders from them.

Sophiaa likes this.
  11. Sophiaa

Sophiaa

Bounty Points:
    I think Mihawk is just a way more serious Kizaru and just does what he has to, or wants to.

12. Tefenut

Tefenut

Bounty Points:
    When was it ever said that the schichibukai don't receive bounty rewards? Why wouldn't they get the rewards when they have a frozen bounty? Which means they are no longer wanted. What prevents them from getting $$?
    The schichibukai are pirates who were given amnesty by the world government in exchange for their cooperation and ceasefire. Not in exchange for a quota of famous pirates who they aren't even getting rewarded for lol :lmao:
    I am sure there are strong bounty hunters/organizations out there. Fujitora could have been one, especially since he is a gambler. Fujirota aside, his existence is proof there are powerful non pirate/navy people out there in the world. Look at Zoro's dojo master, he was probably strong. Now imagine a dojo master in the new world. There will always be a way for Oda to add ridiculously powerful people to the story, the OP world isn't a box of marines and pirates. Enel is another proof of this.

However that aside, Oda doesn't have the time to add all of his ideas so it's possible there will be a mini bounty hunter plot in another major arc or we won't get a bounty hunter arc at all. Like Jean ango, powerful bounty hunters will start showing up all over the place.

Monkey D Baelish likes this.
  13. dizzy2341

dizzy2341

Bounty Points:
    I really like your bit about Fujitora, makes a lot of sense:yaaa:

Yeah you are right actually, they can bounty hunt so I guess the warlords make up for the lack of bounty hunters we have seen.

Last edited: Sep 13, 2016
  14. Icecream001

Icecream001

Bounty Points:
    Hahahaha you are so right I agree!

Ivan Zonder and Sophiaa like this.
  15. JBOP

JBOP

Bounty Points:
    Mihawk is either a bounty hunter, or a very bored individual. He went as far as to chase Don Krieg from GL to EB.

That in itself tell us that Mihawk isn't always fooling around, but hunting pirates actively.

Bounty hunters is not an excluding job in itself, you can be a pirate and a bounty hunter, same with bounty hunting marines . For those who doesn't remember, Smoker is a bounty hunter, and I bet there are many other marines hunting pirates in order to claim their bounties.

Last edited: Sep 17, 2016
  16. dizzy2341

dizzy2341

Bounty Points:
    A lot of what you said is correct but why would Mihawk go all the way to east blue for a tiny bounty such as Kreig's?

Marines can't collect bounties because it is their job. They get paid regardless.

17. JBOP

JBOP

Bounty Points:
    I do not know pal, that's why I'm a saying he may actually do so as a hobby (A very sadistic hobby)

If I'm not wrong, during his introduction smoker was collecting the bounty of a pirate/bandit. But that happened soooo long ago that my memory is fuzzy about it

Last edited: Sep 17, 2016
  18. Eustass D. Shanks

Eustass D. Shanks

Bounty Points:
    Shichibukais have to receive bounty's.
    Just look at the mother of Weevil .. She wants Weevil to destroy them to collect they're bounties.

19. Heavenly Yaksha

Heavenly Yaksha

Bounty Points:
    The new world is just too strong for a bounty hunter which tend to travel alone to take down a crew by himself

NRW22 and dizzy2341 like this.
  20. DizzyBrows

DizzyBrows

Bounty Points:
    they're irrelevant now. no need for such characters in the nw.

BOCCHI, NRW22, Kyro Kakugi and 2 others like this.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice