Manhua Series The Ravages Of Time

Discussion in 'Manga Library' started by Riley Escobar, Nov 10, 2014.

Share This Page

1. Riley Escobar

Riley Escobar - The Villain - Wanted

Bounty Points:

[​IMG]
    Information
    Type: Manhua
    Published: Jun 15, 2001 to ?
    Genres: Action, Adventure, Historical & Military
    Authors: Chen, Mou (Story & Art)
    Serialization: None
    Descriptions:
    Nearly 2000 years ago, the prosperous Han dynasty of China collapsed. Heroes rose and fell, and three nations emerged--Wei, Shu, and Wu. Historians refer to this period as the Three Kingdoms period. The romance of the three kingdoms is an intriguing tale of heroic deeds, of alliance forged and broken, of loyalty and betrayal...

Hong Kong artist Chan Mou retells this classic tale in "The Ravages of Time" from the perspective of the Sima clan, which in the end united the three kingdoms. Readers will be attracted by an array of well-developed characters and Chan Mou's own unique top-notch art-style. Whether you have played Dynasty Warriors or not, this is definitely worth a read!

The Ravages of Time is an adaptation of Romance of the Three Kingdoms, showing the fortunes of Liu Bei, Cao Cao, the Sun family, and the Sima family. The Simas are a successful and rich merchant family, led by the young Sima Yi, who has shown a flair for spotting profitable business venture ever since a young age. The Sima family, however, possesses a sinister side as they command the Handicapped Warriors (殘兵) - a group of mercenary assassins reputed to be infallible.
    (Source Wikipedia)

You Can Read The Series Here:
    Batoto
    MangaHere
    MangaBird
    KissManga

Dio Brando, bob410, Shiki and 2 others like this.
  2. Nico Robin

Nico Robin Wanted

Bounty Points:
    Sounds interesting! :>

Shiki and Riley Escobar like this.
  3. Riley Escobar

Riley Escobar - The Villain - Wanted

Bounty Points:
    If you like Kingdom and Feng Shen Ji you will like this

Dio Brando, Shiki and Nico Robin like this.
  4. Noyman2000

Noyman2000

Bounty Points:
    An adaptation of Romance of the Three Kingdom!? Count me in!

Shiki, Riley Escobar and Nico Robin like this.
  5. Shiki

Shiki

Bounty Points:
    Its a masterpiece. Easily my favorite series of all time.

The storytelling is just amazing. One of the few series that can portray perfectly how "grey" morality of warring era is.

6. Rebellion

Rebellion

Bounty Points:
    "The Empire, long divided must unite; Long united must divide. Thus it has ever been"

There is some elements that this manhwa did better than Luo Guanzhong's classic historical masterpiece. However, Romance of the Three Kingdoms is still 30% fictional while Records of The Three Kingdoms is where you will find the most reliable sources for what really happened during the era. Unfortunately, being based on the historical novel is also one of this series weakness. In order to truly enjoy The Ravages of Time, you must have have some knowledge about Three Kingdoms and some basic geography of china. This Manhua amplified the already complex novel in terms of military strategies, tactics, political schemes and stratagems to the point of convolution. Having played some Dynasty Warriors would also help. Otherwise, the manhua would be an extreme challenge for new comers that is why it has such a small following.

Even Three Kingdoms fans such as myself had hard time to fully grasp the strategies that they are using(however three kingdoms fans will still get the general idea because we already know how the major battles and plot points will end, only Chan Mou's execution of where the events are gonna lead are different so there is still a feeling of tension even for those who already know the story) and they are a very important part of the plot, as this is a war epic, this stratagems along with the characters drive the story itself. For Example, "I'll make a ridiculously convoluted strategy, however... if my enemy is any decent as a strategist, he'll see this coming so instead I'll make a reverse reverse reverse counter strategy to his reverse reverse counter of my reverse counter to his counter! Haha!" This sometimes (though rarely on the whole) reverts to a "speed chess" match. That's when basically the two improvise with rapid changes utilizing their resources and counterintelligence. Sima Yi is probably the undisputed champion of strategical and tactical "speed chess" in this series(only to be probably rivaled by Guo Jia and Zhuge Liang) though to the point he has become the resident deus ex machina as he really makes you wonder where the fuck he's pulling his resources out from. Every commander here makes Lelouch and Light Yagami combined like a grade school.

However despite that, there is no any manga right now that i enjoy as much as Ravages of Time. The author is a master of dialogues. Seeing this characters converse about their own beliefs, deconstructing chinese philosophy from Chan Mou's pespective and also his belief to always take history with a grain of salt as it's artificial being mostly written by winners, are extremely fun to read.

Last edited: Nov 12, 2014
    Riley Escobar, Nico Robin and Shiki like this.
  7. Monkey D.Luffy

Monkey D.Luffy

Bounty Points:
    Nice series portraying the history of china during the 3 kingdom era :)
    Like a lot of characters but remembering their name is tough job lol :p

Shiki likes this.
  8. Ruffy ohara

Ruffy ohara

Bounty Points:
    This GOAT Manga needs more recognition. 10/10 masterpiece

Shiki likes this.
  9. Shiki

Shiki

Bounty Points:
    Agreed. Honestly this series still remains as my top 1 series even until now.

I wish it updates faster though. We're behind the raws by like 10+ chapters.
    --- Double Post Merged, Apr 13, 2016, Original Post Date: Apr 13, 2016 ---
    Also this is a good read https://ravagingtimes.wordpress.com/

10. Gol D. Tooth

Gol D. Tooth

Bounty Points:
    IMO this series needs discussion bc after reading few chapters I was confused as to whats going on. It also lacks map which would be helpful to understand various things: the strategies used by them, which city is located where, which are the three states, their current location etc. just like they use in Kingdom.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice