Discussion The Promised Neverland [General Discussion]

Discussion in 'The Promised Neverland' started by Char Aznable, Aug 1, 2016.

Share This Page

1. Char Aznable

Char Aznable

Bounty Points:
    [​IMG]
    The Promised Neverland
    Type: Manga
    Volumes: Unknown
    Chapters: Unknown
    Published: Aug 1, 2016 to ?
    Genres: Mystery, Horror, Sci-Fi,Shounen
    Authors: Demizu, Posuka (Art),Shirai, Kaiu (Story)
    Serialization: Shounen Jump (Weekly)
    Synopsis: Emma and her friends have a pretty good life at the orphanage they grew up in. Though the rules may be strict, the caretaker is kind. But why are the children forbidden from ever leaving...?

Chapter 1 is out on MangaStream

blackmarco_, ashfr, r-chan and 18 others like this.
  2. pelin

pelin

Bounty Points:
    This sounds like another Punk Hazard.

3. Kappa King

Kappa King

Bounty Points:
    Straight up Auschwitz with Aliens from what I have seen and considering the fact that The date is October 12th, 2045, we have an established timeline of where the story is taking place at the very least. The bar-codes and exams must me they are measuring their intelligence but I am not sure how that is related to growing plant?

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 3, 2017
  4. brunolzz

brunolzz

Bounty Points:
    From the little information that we've got it probably has to do with their stock. See how at the beginning of the chapter Conny mentions how she wasn't able to answer almost anything and she then was sold at a young age, meanwhile the main trio are the smartest kids inside the farm (only using the word farm feels messed up) and they are the oldest ones, that means that they are more valuable. It probably has something to do with their nervous system or the taste of their flesh that equals more value.

BTW, this series looks promising. It's nothing new overall, but definitely new for WSJ standards. I hope it doesn't become darker than it already is or else I don't see it surviving in WSJ. The setting is interesting and the main trio seems like a good cast to follow, plus there's a female MC. Also, the art is lovable.

HakiPunch and Nico Robin like this.
  5. Gintoki

Gintoki

Bounty Points:
    Not bad first chapter. The dark theme seems promising and will be interesting to see kids dealing with a situation like that.
    I hope this doesn't turn into let's be heroes and save the world thing too soon. I would like to see it focusing on the kids learning to survive and grow up in this cruel world.

LogicoftheVI and Char Aznable like this.
  6. Monkey D Theories

Monkey D Theories

Bounty Points:
    Promised Neverland> AoT
    --- Double Post Merged, Aug 4, 2016, Original Post Date: Aug 4, 2016 ---
    is this a monthly?

7. sircrocodile77

sircrocodile77

Bounty Points:
    I dont think the first chapter was that dark, hunter x hunter and death note were as dark in weekly shonen jump, and they succeeded so...

Arashirai and LogicoftheVI like this.
  8. brunolzz

brunolzz

Bounty Points:
    It is weekly, it's being published in WSJ, although I'm not sure if any group has picked up this manga. Mangastream translated the first chapter but I don't know if they're going to continue to translate this one (I hope so).

True, Death Note and Hunter x Hunter have their dark moments and a lot of deaths in it, but turning humans into food is a whole new level of messed up, especially because it involves kids.
    --- Double Post Merged, Aug 8, 2016 ---
    Chapter 2 is out on Mangastream.
    Chapter 2: Exit

Another good chapter with some cool details added. I felt a bit weird by the fact that Emma and Norman were being too rational, but they are pretty shaken up. Now they see the obvious details that they couldn't see before about the place and the fact that escaping the place will be about outrunning Mama instead of hide-and-seek. I also like the direction this is going for, it's a survival battle more than anything, add the fact that they know nothing about the outside world and that they have to find a way to protect all of the other kids and the stacks are so high. I have to point out the fact that the wording in this series create a more dramatic tone, such as Mama being called reaper.
    Another thing that I need to praise is this art, it's so beautiful and the changes in the characters expressions are so subtle and yet impactful. Mama's last panel looks astonishing. Posuka Demizu is AMAZING!
    3.75/5 start for The Promised Neverland.

LogicoftheVI and Shafted like this.
  9. Shafted

Shafted

Bounty Points:
    I just gave this one a shot since I seem to like everything that mangastream chooses to scanlate. Needless to say I was absolutely blown away, half way through that first chapter and I was absolutely hooked. I'm a little worried that this "escape" arc might take a little too long to complete but the premise is really strong and the writers seem to know what they're doing.

10. brunolzz

brunolzz

Bounty Points:
  11. Monkey D Theories

Monkey D Theories

Bounty Points:
    plz someone....make this an anime
    --- Double Post Merged, Aug 23, 2016, Original Post Date: Aug 23, 2016 ---
    this kinda reminds me of Death note, with all the intellectual warfare and stuff

12. Deleted member 10852

Deleted member 10852 Guest

Bounty Points:
    Amazing chapter. Loving this series so far. So Mama also has a number? Interesting.
    This freaked me out. LOL

[​IMG]

LogicoftheVI, Dazai and brunolzz like this.
  13. Shafted

Shafted

Bounty Points:
    I wonder if "Mama" will end up joining them after learning that the demons intend to eat her regardless or something along those lines. I wouldn't mind it if it was strictly the kids against this Mama but since this is a shonen I doubt that's what will happen :unsure:

LogicoftheVI likes this.
  14. Illumina

Illumina

Bounty Points:
    Well, I hesitantly like this manga so far... but, uh, has anyone noticed that the three main characters look and act almost exactly like the three main characters from Princess Tutu...? I know they're completely different genres, but still...

Calling it right now, the main girl ends up with the dark-haired boy :cigar:

LogicoftheVI likes this.
  15. Mr. Reloaded

Mr. Reloaded

Bounty Points:
    Just caught up to see what all the hub was about. I like it, it's very different from usual Shonen which isn't a bad thing.

Normally I'd hate the type of optimism Emma has, but taking into account that she's only 11 and as such doesn't get those kids are beyond fucked I'll let it slide.

Lots of good potential here.

Glad to see Ray finally mattering in the story.

<Link Removed> Chapter 4 is out.

16. Dazai

Dazai

Bounty Points:
    lol thats a death flag on Norman if I've ever seen one. Says he loves the main girl then says he doesn't mind dying for her... rippppppp

I like this series so far, I really hope this first Prison Break arc is good, after that it could go a lot of different ways but one things for sure they'll find the group of humans Ray mentioned. I don't want this to be too similar to Owari no Seraph but right now I'm not worried about that because the world building seems pretty broad and there's lots of different directions this could go in.

17. Illumina

Illumina

Bounty Points:
    Lol! That's exactly what I was thinking too :lmao:

LogicoftheVI, Mr. Reloaded and Dazai like this.
  18. brunolzz

brunolzz

Bounty Points:
    Chapter 4: Optimal

Another good chapter and now we got some characterization for Ray. I was thinking when were they going to tell him and I'm glad it was this soon. I was a bit shocked at how rational he was. Mama also noticed that he wasn't at his habitual spot so that may be an indication that she'll probably pressure him.

Only 30 years have passed, I mean it's obvious that there's still some kind of a society out there, otherwise where are thos kids coming from? The question is how far gone is the world at this point.

And Norman, oh Norman... To think that they are neck deep into this mess and he has the time to be like a normal kid and be in love with Emma, that's sad. Great characterization for him and a death flag already, that's saddening. In order to understand his reasons we have to realize that that's the only world that he knows and because of that he's willing to die as long as he can make Emma happy.

I love Emma's stuborness and her expressions this chapter, regardless of how troublesome rescuing all of them this can be, she won't accept the idea of not trying. I love her already.

3.75/5

Deleted member 10852 likes this.
  19. Mr. Reloaded

Mr. Reloaded

Bounty Points:
    Chapter 5

The true boss of the first arc, the transmitter itself. Oh and the new mama too I guess.

LogicoftheVI, Dazai and brunolzz like this.
  20. brunolzz

brunolzz

Bounty Points:
    I knew they were underestimating Mama! So now we have another person? Or is Sister Krone a demon? The final panel left me confused. A slower chapter where they didn't progress at all and now Mama is closing the circle on them, AND there's another kid. Things are getting tougher and I have no idea how are they going to be able to escape with everyone else.

Nice chapter overall 3.25/5

LogicoftheVI likes this.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice