News The Evolution of The Print Numbers of Kingdom Manga Volumes

Discussion in 'Kingdom' started by Mr. Kishido, Apr 18, 2018.

Share This Page

1. Mr. Kishido

Mr. Kishido

Bounty Points:
  2. Zephyr

Zephyr

Bounty Points:
    Currently the BEST manga imo.

Cool poster as well.

Last edited: Apr 18, 2018
  3. TheoryKing

TheoryKing

Bounty Points:
    It's def. the second best manga imo (giving the best to OP for longevity).

Man I just hope they pick up on official translations of this series, I'd support with buying all the volumes.

4. Kaiser

Kaiser Wanted

Bounty Points:
    It's awesome to see Kingdom's popularity increasing. It's such a great manga, and it totally deserves it.
    I hope for this too man.. I'd definitely buy them.

Marcusx8, Zephyr and BossYimz like this.
  5. Gotta catch'em all

Gotta catch'em all

Bounty Points:
    Kingdom also has plenty of longevity and unlike One Piece I can't single out any mediocre sections of the story like the garbage davy back fight arc. Pretty much only Vinland saga and Yowamushi pedal are contending with it at the moment for me and with Berserk's slump in quality I would probably vouch for kingdom as the best currently running manga.

6. BossYimz

BossYimz

Bounty Points:
    def the best manga right now for me

7. TheoryKing

TheoryKing

Bounty Points:
    Well the davyback is a small small "fun" little arc that he put in, writing wise that arc was perfectly fine. Overall, the quality of the manga with all the arcs connected is still really only matched by Kingdom. I wouldnt even consider Breserk (300 chaps) or vinland saga (143 chaps) even in contention against OP or Kingdom. Only thing I'd dock OP on is the repetitive comedy gags for the main characters. But Kingdom is also slowly falling into that same issue with main characters like Shin / Ten and such becoming SBK as the manga goes on.

Theres nearly a 400 chapter gap between the 2 manga, bro thats a huge gap when it comes to longevity. And with OP looking like it can go up to 1300+ idk if Kingdom will ever even come close in longevity.

Last edited: Apr 19, 2018
    novaselinenever and Andrewww like this.
  8. Gotta catch'em all

Gotta catch'em all

Bounty Points:
    You're way overrating how much of a factor longevity should be in judging manga. One piece suffers from a painfully repetitive arc formula where the heroes go to a island, befriend the locals, and beat up the evil villain. The villains are literally all pure evil, there's a few interesting ones like Crocodile and Doflamingo but the vast majority feel annoying. There's also next to no character development (power-ups obviously don't count), even for the leads and when there is some, it's off-screened. The characters get fleshed out with plenty of backstory and personality in their initial arcs but don't really end up changing in the end. Even after a two year time skip the characters are literally exactly the same character. Plus, there's also other 'serious' arcs which are straight up boring to read through like Thriller bark and Fishman island, even dressrossa which has the best one piece villain feels like a slog because of how dragged out the entire arc feels.
    Kingdom in it's first 500 chapters hasn't had a single arc I can point at and say 'that was garbage'. One piece had 2. I love the manga but a lot of it's flaws are straight up ignored on this place in general

Berserk has just as much 'longevity' as one piece as well, the manga started in 1989, OP started in 1997. Not to mention it's monthly so the chapter count is misleading. Vinland saga has been amazing (and it's also monthly, so it has higher page count) and I prefer it over kingdom just because the MC isn't a shounen protagonist stuck in a seinen, not to mention each chapter of Vinland Saga has been an absolute blast to read through. If you asked me 6-7 years ago I would have told you that OP is easily the best manga. Other than Zou and Sabaody, post-ts OP has been a slog to read through, Luffy's bullshit plot armor and power-ups don't help either.

Last edited: Apr 19, 2018
    Topi Jerami and Zephyr like this.
  9. Finalbeta

Finalbeta

Bounty Points:
    It's getting better and better

I honestly believe we will reach 1m quite soon

10. TheoryKing

TheoryKing

Bounty Points:
    That's because to be able to sustai a longevity of 900+ chapters over 20+ years is something that should be accounted for when objectively determining the greatness of something. The formula for OP is pretty much the same, that's because the entire manga is essentially about the main character exploring islands and building allies along the way to the final war so idk why Oda would need to step away from that when it's the core of the story. The villains being pure evil is a bad thing now?? I don't get that. Magellan wasn't pure evil, Sakazuki & Marines weren't pure evil, BM in this arc isn't pure evil, Arlong wasn't pure evil, CP9 wasn't pure evil. Majority of the OP villains aren't pure evil. And I personally don't find Crocodile or Doflamingo interesting so we def. have different tastes in villains.

The character development in OP is about as good as the character development in Kingdom or Breserk. The core of the main characters stays the same, while they have slight changes in traits. IE, Zoro's big development pre-TS was him putting Luffy's dream ahead of his & Post-TS was him being more smarter/aware of things now being much more serious to compensate for luffy's carelessness.

Actually I found the Ouhon/Shin/Tou arc to be pretty boring, outside of the whole ordeal with Ten being capture. Where as arcs like FMI that you find boring, are one of my top arcs for the manga that I liked. Hell dressarosa was amazing for me due to the amount of time it took to explore characters that weren't the strawhats that arc is amazing to read as a whole & even WCI as a whole is great tbh. Dressarosa felt like a slogfest if reading it week to week basis, but not in a continuous story. I don't believe flaws of OP are overlooked here, especially when myself have made 2 threads regarding the issues of OP (though of course I did get a lot of flaq on the first one).

- Average berserk chapter is about 20 pages, there are in totality 355 chapters
    - Vinland saga outside of it's first 3 chapters has about 20 pages a chapter with 143 in total

vs

- OP has around 20 or so pages , there in totality 900+ chapters. Oda has been on a week to week basis for decade + now, and no signs of slowing down.
    - Kingdom has around 20 or so pages, there are in totality 500+ chapters, and it ain't slowing down anytime soon.

Neither Berserk or Vinland Saga can compare to Kingdom & OP in regards to sustained longevity. Hara & Oda are putting in more work, while sustaining a quality product that is among the top 3 of the manga world in sales.. you can't overlook that man.

All great manga have plot armor, including Berserk/Vagabond/OP/Kingdom/Vinland Saga/ etc plot armor is everywhere man. However it's the execution that's the issue, which is where I'd agree with you in particularly to the recent OP fight with Katakuri, where it was executed badly.

So no i don't think i'm overrating longevity, I'm just making it a key factor in determining "greatness", which is often overlooked. And tbh I would have the chinese manga Feng Shenji over Vinland Saga and even berserk if it had the same amount of chapters as berserk. There's also Ruler of the Land + Ravages of Time that I'd easily put over Vinland Saga (and put Ravages of time over Berserk as well). But hey everybody has difference standards in regards to which one is great & which one they like.

But yea Kingdom & OP top 2, with OP ahead due to longevity for me. They're completely different genres but both are great reads for me.

Last edited: Apr 20, 2018
  11. Andrewww

Andrewww

Bounty Points:
    Let's agree to disagree !
    1 37,996,373 ONE PIECE
    2  6,874,840 NARUTO
    3  5,223,712 Ao no Exorcist (青の祓魔師)
    4  4,701,596 FAIRY TAIL
    5  4,665,634 Toriko (トリコ)
    6  4,415,491 Gintama (銀魂)
    7  4,399,938 Bakuman. (バクマン。)
    8  4,187,258 BLEACH
    9  4,109,481 Kimi ni Todoke (君に届け)
    10 4,056,981 GANTZ

It still didn't defeat one year of OP :D!

And I am a big fan of Kingdom but Attack on Titan is better :D but still top 3 for me :D!
    --- Double Post Merged, Apr 20, 2018, Original Post Date: Apr 20, 2018 ---
    One world little one 430M+ in 2017 !
    But again we are compering apples with oranges kingdom is based from actual history so it is easier to write then OP!

Again OP will never be reached by any manga !
    And there are so many better mangas then kingdom Attack on Titan being one of them, Berserker, Vinland Saga, Vagabond and I can go one and one!

But OP has 900 ch and 430M that is a statement also nr 1 for 11 years !
    So again because you don't think OP is that good it is really irelevant when you have those cold fact rubbed in your face :D!

12. Beky

Beky Cracker Katakuri

Bounty Points:
    Longetivity imo isn't a good measurement for quality.

I mean you can use it but is it fair? I just means one manga started before other and had more time to develope.

Let's put OP, Kingdom , Berserk and all the quality mangas to start at the same date. Do you still then think it would be the same if they had the same longetivity?

Gotta catch'em all likes this.
  13. TheoryKing

TheoryKing

Bounty Points:
    Berserk started before OP, OP has 500+ chapters on it . By the end of this year it'll have 600+ chapters on Berserk.

Kingdom started in 2006, Vinland started in 2005. Kingdom has 400+ chapters on it.

Longevity is a feat in itself, its a testament to the consistant hardwork put into their works by Oda and Hara.. and their hardwork is what led to these 2 manga being in top 3 in sales.

But do you judge em on what if or what is?

14. Beky

Beky Cracker Katakuri

Bounty Points:
    Vinland Saga and Berserk are Monthly issues so it is not the same as OP or Kingdom who are weekly.

Plus Hara takes a lot of breaks.

Gotta catch'em all likes this.
  15. TheoryKing

TheoryKing

Bounty Points:
    Berserk releases 1 chapter every 6 months because thats what the dude chooses to do.

Vinland saga releases 20 page chapter every month because thats what the dude chooses to. (10 chapters a year)

Kingdom has released 13 chapters already this year, 14 by the end of this month.

AoT is a monthly release that releases 40 page chapters every month.. for AoT you can argue that 100+ chapters doesnt represent the accurate amount of story its told, because its practically 2 to 3 chapters in 1 big chapter every month.

But hey like I said bruv everybody has diff. preferences.

Andrewww likes this.
  16. Beky

Beky Cracker Katakuri

Bounty Points:
    Ya missing ma point.

Ya they chose to write like that. Maybe health issues maybe this and that. Hence why longetivity isn't really a good criteria to grade a manga.

That just means Oda has better conditions and he can do it weekly. To grade quality on that is beyond me

17. Topi Jerami

Topi Jerami

Bounty Points:
    Congrats Kingdom

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 20, 2018
    mad monk likes this.
  18. mad monk

mad monk

Bounty Points:
    well deserved.

Beky likes this.
  19. Andrewww

Andrewww

Bounty Points:
    Congrats Shin !
    Next time we seen you as general you will have more then 40M :D!

20. TheoryKing

TheoryKing

Bounty Points:
    Mate i'm countering your point, i'm not missing it. You don't believe longevity plays a factor into the greatness of a series, I'm disagreeing with it.. because it does when the quality of that manga is not inferior to the other's. You're saying it's not fair to Berserk or Vinland saga or any other manga like that , but then it's not fair to OP & Kingdom when you take away their feats of sustained quality.

If OP was some trash manga with 900+ chapters, I'd give it to you. But it's not, those 900 chapters have a sustained quality in them. Yes people don't like certain arcs or parts of the manga, but that's there for every manga.

I'll take OP's 900 chapters over Berserk
    I'll take Kingdom's 500 chapters over Vinland Saga

Because that's the product that's out there at this very moment. And that's only there because Kingdom has more time put into it by it's mangaka than Vinland Saga. OP has more time put into it by it's mangaka than Berserk.

And that doesn't mean Oda has better conditions and he can do it weekly lol, you're sort of making huge assumptions on that end mate. We don't know about that, so not gonna talk about who has better conditions for all we know Hara & Oda are busting their asses to meet the weekly deadlines, while the other 2 taking their time sippin tea delivering their chapters.

Andrewww likes this.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice