Powers & Abilities Something about Luffy , the Gomu Gomu No Mi and Asspulls

Discussion in 'One Piece Manga Discussion' started by Usopp Haoshoku Haki, Apr 28, 2019.

Share This Page

1. Usopp Haoshoku Haki

Usopp Haoshoku Haki

Bounty Points:
    Ever since the Katakuri fight started to elevate Luffy's stats to high high tier or even above that it's become quite often for people to call certain things asspulls.Things such as Snakeman , unforeseen endurance and an aptitude for CoO and FS made people doubt whether or not Oda cares in the slightest about proper power scaling and establishing a sense of danger for the reader.For many it seemed as if Luffy could actually be as strong as the plot demands him to be , without any certain build-up , something that lowered their Wano arc fight expectations.

However , Kaido showed the immense gap existing between him and Luffy's current strongest form.He ignored Luffy's speed , endurance and CoO progress one-shotting him and establishing the power difference between them.It was at this moment that most couldn't begin to imagine a way for Luffy to stand at least as a high difficulty opponent for Kaido.

So , here's a certain thought.Even though Luffy did great when it comes to physical stats and Haki so far , doesn't it seem weird that after like 15 years of having the Gomu Gomu No Mi and after witnessing at least 2 Paramecia awakenings he still hasn't even come close to awakening his powers? I am pretty sure that if he showed some hints vs Cracker and then awakened mid-Katakuri fight it wouldn't have bugged many people since Luffy has always been extremely smart and talented when it comes to using the Gomu Gomu No Mi to the fullest.What do you think?

Last edited: Apr 28, 2019
    Suuuuper, Izaya X, Sade and 4 others like this.
  2. Dracule.D.Goat

Dracule.D.Goat

Bounty Points:
    i bet oda have no real idea how he is going to use his awakening anyway , so he is waiting for more theory on forum like OJ for idea before he introduce it lol. I personnaly have no idea how transforming the surrending into rubber would help him. it's really meh if you ask me, but then again we have only seen "producing type" praramecia awakening, rubber fruit awakening might be another kind of power. it really wasn't that smart of an idea to introduce awakening, but if ODA have enough imagition to use this effectively then ok.we'll see. but if he knew where he was going with this it would be introduced already 100%.

and by doing this "awakening" thingy it creates inconsistency with things like WB devil fruits, or admirals fruit and why they didn't use it during the war. it's called writing yourself into a corner, i wish he would have never introduced awakening tbh.

Last edited: Apr 28, 2019
  3. Fanboy sins

Fanboy sins

Bounty Points:
    Lucci's leopard shigan also had a oneshotting ability , but that attack didn't land on strawhat after first time.
    Kaido might never hit luffy with that weapon ever again. Or if he does ,New armament might make damage way less deadly.

Obervation haki can't really be brought up , because of how emotionally disrupted Luffy was.

Zoro D Luffy, Redx and Dracule.D.Goat like this.
  4. Monkey D Theories

Monkey D Theories

Bounty Points:
    people dont realize that Luffy only needs like 2 power ups to be top tier. Advanced CoA and awakening should be enough

Hades, Usopp337 and Fanboy sins like this.
  5. Zoro Compass

Zoro Compass

Bounty Points:
    Because some fans still apply DBZ logic to One Piece power scales. They believe X character, if they are stronger, must be better than Y character in all areas.

Take Jozu, his defense should be better than Mihawk, but it doesn't matter because Mihawk excels in other areas considerably, namely in lethality and possibly Obs if you consider what the Vivre Card implied.

Luffy's endurance and stamina were just better than Katakuri's. Katakuri's Armament and Observation were better, but Luffy's tenacity was good enough to bypass those and allow him to improve his Observation. Life experiences play a part as well. Luffy's constantly bringing himself to the brink of death, meanwhile, Katakuri's never fallen on his back or lost a fight. Is it any wonder Luffy's better at taking punishment?

6. Usopp Haoshoku Haki

Usopp Haoshoku Haki

Bounty Points:
    What did it imply?

7. Scepterlink

Scepterlink

Bounty Points:
    He got the Gomu Gomu no Mi as a kid and spent most of his childhood just getting the basic pistol right.

It was only after he started facing stronger and stronger opponents did he actually improve his DF skills.

Unlike haki, which he was trained in by Rayleigh, a legend, he has had no guidance or training regarding DF powers from anybody. Everything about his fruit, he's had to figure out himself.

Awakening also seems to be a very rare skill. WeveW only seen the animal guards from Impel Down and 2 paramecia users who have been successful at it. We don't even know of a single Logia with awakened ability. And even if it's not that rare, it does seem to take a lot of skill and time to unlock.

Like Luffy, Doffy has had his fruit as a kid as well, and he's in his 40s now I believe. And he's the first paramecia we saw with Awakening.

Luffy is super talented and he grows at a rapid pace, but even then, even the most talented need some guidance or hints when figuring something out. He's never had any tips on how to use his DF from anybody.

Look at his haki, it's not perfected yet. He's had 18 months of training from Rayleigh in the basics but he still needs some tips from Hyou with the advanced stuff. And he just found out about awakening like a couple of weeks ago. In that time he's mostly been training his CoO and CoA.

In the end, he's got plenty of room for improvement in both haki and DF. He'll get there eventually. And I think it gives a better sense of difficulty when it's not easy to quickly learn a powerup just because you saw someone else do it.

QMS, Badass D. Shanks and Trafalgar_D like this.
  8. Rp4lyf

Rp4lyf

Bounty Points:
    Doflamingo has been Awakened since before Law was joined his crew. This is atleast 15 years ago.

9. Ravagerblade

Ravagerblade

Bounty Points:
    'The Clairvoyant' I believe it was.

10. Scepterlink

Scepterlink

Bounty Points:
    Umm, I don't think he was shown awakening his fruit in any flashbacks. Birdcage wasn't an Awakening ability either.

And even if he had awakened it back then, it's not like he just got the fruit, he had several years of experience with his fruit by that point.

QMS likes this.
  11. Redx

Redx

Bounty Points:
    Guys....didn't we just discuss this already?

You'd have to be genuinely delusional to think Oda actually reads these forums. lol.

Thats not "inconsistency" thats just the author not revealing all of the character's abilities. Why would they use their Awakening on such a tiny island where all of their allies would be in the crossfire?

Uh, no it's not. Just to be clear: writing one's self into a corner is a phrase that usually pertains to creating obstacles. Which Awakening is not. It's just a part of the Power System.

Last edited: Apr 29, 2019
    QMS, Shanks You, cota and 8 others like this.
  12. SanjiKun

SanjiKun

Bounty Points:
    He hasn't needed awakening. All-out Luffy was superior to Katakuri in almost every way but Future Sight. Both him and Katakuri stated this. Luffy said "even your tough CoA can't stand up to Gear 4". To call WCI "an asspull" is pure idiocy.

Even for Kaido, I kept telling people:

(1) Kaido one-shotting him with a weapon while Luffy's FS/CoO is not working properly means nothing. Katakuri could have done the same with Mochi Drill. His henchmen made it clear that no club = no one shot.

Yet, people didn't want to believe that Luffy's FS was not working properly.

(2) All Luffy needs to hurt Kaido is advanced CoA because of Kaido's tough skin (or "scales" as Luffy put it).

Both of things were proven true within 10-15 chapters. All of this is just 1 thing: Yonko wanking. Even Kaido who is the strongest, is not THAT strong.

Passenger and Hakipotence like this.
  13. Usopp Haoshoku Haki

Usopp Haoshoku Haki

Bounty Points:
    Ηenchmen don't have a clue on Luffy's endurance.Also why does the fact that Kaido used a weapon mean anything?Is he going to abandon his club next time they meet?
    Kaido's non-strongest attack had the power to put Luffy down and that's about it.

QMS, Reddot4, Sade and 2 others like this.
  14. dat1gai

dat1gai

Bounty Points:
    Your kaido and katakuri comparison is just plain wrong. Katakuri could perhaps one shot Luffy, BASE luffy, that is. G4 was a different story, kata straight up landed multiple hits on G4, none of which was even close to one-shot. Kaido one shotting G4 speaks volume. And while they did mention his club, we also have to account for the fact that kaido didn't use his DF powers, in other words he was clearly holding back. It's not Yonko wank, Oda wrote in the story that kaido is just too strong.

QMS likes this.
  15. ugaynou

ugaynou

Bounty Points:
    But see, Devil Fruit Awakening hasn't ever been explain yet. Like how to even start to go into.
    He's only seen it. He hasnt been taught it yet.
    He hasnt even had hints about it yet.
    How can anyone ever learn something without learning At Least the First Step.
    It's illogical. At least he was properly taught in Haki. And by that, I mean Advance Knowledge of Haki and how it grows and its weaknesses.
    Oda could've gave him a Hint at how to Awaken in WCI but he didnt.
    So that means he's waiting for something big to happen first. He could maybe be waiting for a certain fight for Luffy so that Luffy can learn it from that opponent.
    Until then, no one knows how to awaken atm other than Top Tier Devil Fruit Users.

QMS, Reddot4, Zorofanboy97 and 4 others like this.
  16. Hades

Hades

Bounty Points:
    What is the point of this thread

From Luffy POV, he doesn't know the key to awakening and he wasn't trained by someone when it comes to usage of DF.

More importantly FS was the key to Katakuri battle because that was what troubled Luffy not awakening.

Some one said about logia Admirals awakening... people need to understand awakening is not just about turning surroundings into df properties because that was logia ability anyways and Zoan awakening is different.

LoL at the people who thinks Oda introduces something without any basic idea.

QMS, Reddot4, Redx and 3 others like this.
  17. Dracule.D.Goat

Dracule.D.Goat

Bounty Points:
    beceause the author is god and it's very well known japanese mangaka NEVER do mistake am i right? when awakening was introduced it was clearly stated by doffy it is supposed to just "affect the surrounding", the way he say it, it seems it's the case for any DF, be it logia Zoan or paramecia, which of course is complete non sense for at least zoan, but let's ignore zoan. it's complete non sense for a lot of other power anyway. how is law going to "affect the surrounding" with his DF ? how will buggy do it? how would brook do it? i can guarantee you some of these powers are going to look like complete asspulls. And it really wasn't needed , now, oda need to think of an awakening for each and every fruits , and let's be honest it doens't make sense for a lot of fruit. btw, how come WB fruit wasn't awakened? how come crocodile isn't awakened ? he is already old and had his fruit for a while.

it's like saying introducing 10 kind of different pupils in naruto wasn't bad writing beceause it was part of the power scaling. now, i do not mean to say it's THAT BAD, but from my point of view awakening is completly unnecesseray, DF are ALREADY very versatile.
    maybe i will be proven wrong and oda will have nice idea for every single awakening and it will "make sense", but for now , i'm going to camp on my position.

Somehow luffy might suddenly have a power that doesn't even seems rubber related , it will be called awakening and wont make sense. (at least if it looks good i'll be okay anyway but still, it's not perfect writing). or he start to affect the surrending and you need to explain how it makes sense for, say, buggy's fruits?

ho and btw dont quote a sentence of mine and ignore the "lol" at the end, of course oda isn't watching forum i was joking.

Rukusho likes this.
  18. Hades

Hades

Bounty Points:
    here few points you need to remember

1) Not everyone can awaken their fruits

2) It's effecting the surrounds maybe the case for Doffy and Katakuri but it is not universal as we know Zoans have different kind of awakening.

3) Author explains the awakening through Luffy's POV if Luffy awakens just like he did with FS/advanced CoA.

4) Luffy's awakening might be different.

5) Author won't introduce something without having basis and so wait until it will be revealed through Luffy's POV.

QMS, Kaios D. Omen, Passenger and 3 others like this.
  19. Usopp Haoshoku Haki

Usopp Haoshoku Haki

Bounty Points:
    Did someone teach Katakuri how to awaken? I doubt that.Even if this was the case , there's no chance anyone taught Doffy how to awaken.

QMS likes this.
  20. L o g i a

L o g i a

Bounty Points:
    I believe Luffy won't fight Kaido alone, or if he does, Kid and Law would've done most of the work for him beforehand. Because of this, i dont think Luffy will awaken his fruit until he has to fight 1v1 vs Linlin (possibly on Elbaf - he himself stated he would) or against somebody like Ryokugyu

It'll happen soon, but it won't happen now

Furthermore, there's the possibility that awakening doesn't make you stronger, per se. Rather, it just means you can apply the same powers differently

Reddot4 and Usopp Haoshoku Haki like this.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice