Webtoon Series SOLO LEVELING

Discussion in 'Manga Library' started by ETSI, Dec 2, 2018.

Share This Page

?

DID YOU READ IT??

1. YES

19 vote(s)
    79.2%
  2. NO

5 vote(s)
    20.8%
  1. Tyrant

Tyrant

Bounty Points:
    What's with the baby step pacing, has it always been like this?

Garuntee next chapter he's gonna dish out some moves and then be surprised by the orcs power then chapter over.

2. Legendary Po

Legendary Po

Bounty Points:
    Manhua illustration looks more badass than ever... I love the artwork.. those are truly amazing..

Next chapter is complete massacre..

operatico likes this.
  3. Yasuda

Yasuda

Bounty Points:
    I read this like two weeks ago. It's a fun read but man the MC is an edgelord. I'll probably let it build up some more chapters before going back to it because of the aforementioned slow pacing.

4. Just a member

Just a member

Bounty Points:
    - That is an excuse from the author, I mean, like in almost every other isekai the character gets an overwhelimg advantage. it is like if at the start of OP Shanks gave Luffy the ability to have 3 devil fruits BB style along with the yami, gura gura and Kaido's. And the advantage this character has from the start is even more overwheling than that: only one able to level up, buy and sell etc. already posted them (also the full recover which saved his ass at least once and probably others I don't even remember). It is fine if he is stronger than the chracters he meets at first but not completely overwhelm everyone. At least, this is the kind of manga I would avoid story wise if it wasn't for the great art and how the mangaka can build up situations, but I know that it gets old pretty fast.

I will add an example from another pseudo-isekai that I love (pretty ironic I dislike the genre while one the novels I like the most is an isekai :p): the MC starts weak like every other (let's say the plot is that the whole world got suddenly trapped in a game like world divided in progressively harder levels) yet he is overwhelmingly powerfull and thanks to his experience from the past (comes from the future) along with his overwhelming abilities manages to be go against overpowered enemies (with psycological ups and downs). Usually I wouldn't like this kind of MC but why is he so strong? The humanity from the future after 70 years from the start of the game is about to be extinguished, the last 100 survivors bet their lives and mangaes to send 1 guy back in time, this guy is the best the 9 billions of people from human race had to offer plus he is already tempered by 70 years of war non stop in an hellike place. And it is just logical this maincharacter can wreck newbies and even people who has years of experience of this world despite the other being constantly stronger than him. He of course gets a unique ability too but at least it has a downside.

- Sure, but, even if I don't know how this story goes on, the isekai MC never really struggles. Example, now we are a bit far into the story (chapter 80-100 of the novel I guess out of about 270 if I remember it right) yet he is getting another fight in which he will overwhelm his enemies (high orcs), like in every other until now bar the one when he gained his pwoers (and usually I like these mangas in the very first chapters when the character is still humble and hard trying despite the bad odds). I remember a way worse isekai main character (from the "moonlight sculptor" novel I think), he lost once vs his greatest enemy in some hundred of chapters let the author make and underlined the fight terribly unfair to him making it clear he would have won without much problems in a fair situation.. anyway this mc seems to be way better until now (even if he is till an isekai's).

- Sure, just look at One punch man, the MC is practically unbeatable yet the secondary ones have almost more focus than him at times and that, along with Saitama having some shortcomings (aka not the gary sue perfect MC), is what makes the manga go on. Imagine if Saitama was perfect even as a human being, his friends were just a little more than characters put there just to show how great the MC is and the show would be boring as hell. Anyway I agree with you, weak or strong MC doesn't matter, it matters how the story is developed, characters and situations handled etc

- Ok, the strong willed/hard working MC is a troupe common to shounen as well, what is different is that the shounen MC doesn't get an overwhelming advantage from the start (like I said above it would be like Luffy get's BB power along with his df and Kaido's from the start). He also got clearly saved by that: when vs a boss got the full recovery (was it the spider?) and was able to win with that and a lot of other times (pretty much each times he uses an ability no other character has access to). He, like evry other isekai mc, doesn't get external help because that would stain his reputation and imply he is not strong enough on his own and needs help, and this will never happen. The MC is the only one allowed to save other people and be the hero, not the other way around. Not even circumstancial events will come to help him because that again would imply he couldn't win alone, needed help etc.

Anyway yes, in OP there is still the "external help" and I like it that way, if the new world keep being all the time like Fishman island and Punk hazard (where pretty much Luffy and co didn't need external help, be it other people or plot convenience, because the where way stronger than the enemies and could do alone without any problems) aka Luffy and co steamrolling everything that would have become boring pretty fast. Sure, I would have liked Luffy to win at least vs Doffy without having to get the help of other people (even more since in G4 it was a walk in the park) yet the isekai go too much (way too much imo) in the other way aka the MC is an invincible one man army.

Another aspect is that this kind of MC are perfect on all the line. Look at this MC he has overwheling powers plus it is perfect character wise, tactician, always cool etc Luffy on the other side is dumb most of the time, Zoro sleeps and get lost, Goku is dumb most of the time too etc. A good example is Naruto, I never truly like him a lot but in part 1 he was still somewhat likeable, the underdog who tried hard to be recognized (even if he has the almost cheat ability from the start aka Kurama) just to become the jesus Naruto in part 2 and lose a lot of appeal. And sorry for the late reply.

Last edited: May 25, 2019
  5. Ebisu

Ebisu

Bounty Points:
  6. operatico

operatico

Bounty Points:
    Great chapter can only imagine that hes gonna swap out some of the older shadows to make room for more powerful ones. He will be unstoppable with the support of the orc mage. What I wanna see though is the reaction of the s class and the monitoring division.

Emperor Cross likes this.
  7. Ebisu

Ebisu

Bounty Points:
  8. Uyuu

Uyuu

Bounty Points:
    the art and execution of Hymn spells are amazing. It was too bad that such a character with finely executed attack design was toyed due to "immunity to spells" that seemed to came out of nowhere. Imo it'd be better and challenging to make the orc sorcerer's debuff affect the MC, to push him to a corner a bit, to have the MC's sorcerer with the orb finally negate the debuffs as a turning point.

operatico likes this.
  9. ETSI

ETSI

Bounty Points:
    So, the Light novel's translation is finished ❤️!!! 243 amazing chapters!!!!

It was a pleasure!!! ❤️❤️❤️
    I hope the side stories that are coming next, to be equally amazing!!!

10. bimbonium

bimbonium Wanted

Bounty Points:
    I finally caught up to the series, it's been interesting so far, though a bit cliche. I can't seem to remeber the names of most of the characters tho....They sometimes feel like characters that will disappear after an arc....

11. Uyuu

Uyuu

Bounty Points:
    So by this chapter he is an S-rank already. i do feel that the progress is too fast, but i can get past the wish-fulfillment since the art is vibrant and fresh.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice