Private Season of the Sword

Discussion in 'Battlegrounds' started by Fire Tiger, Jan 13, 2019.

Share This Page

1. Fire Tiger

Fire Tiger

Bounty Points:
    Seeing Jin's attack, Kilij formed an X with his swords to block the incoming strike. Like a cannon the crescent strike hit him with full force. Instead of absorbing the force into his body, Kilij elected to relax his stance and let it push him back. By doing so Kilij ended rolling backwards a few times but got up again in an instant not worse for wear with just some minor bruising .

"Jin senpai, your strength and mastery of the art of the sword is definitely way above mine. But there's many ways to fight and how could a gladiator like me let himself be beaten so easily. So I apologize beforehand for what's to come."

As Kilij spoke he charged once again. But as he drew closer he stopped and jumped to one side. He moved around that side performing a few faints but didn't attack. He jumped to the other side and as he moved he took note of how Jin tracked his movements. With Jin's attention on him, Kilij swung both his swords from above and as he did that, he kicked dirt straight towards Jin's face.

[A dirty move, but an effective one. Let's see how he reacts to it. This might be a chance to get a hit in.]

Last edited: Mar 20, 2019
    CAPTAIN KHAN likes this.
  2. CAPTAIN KHAN

CAPTAIN KHAN

Bounty Points:
    Narration
    Thinking
    "Speech"
    Action

Jin saw his attack hit Kilij as he tired to block with a cross block stance with both his swords . Despite the good effort,the attack overpowered Kilij's block and pushed him back ,he ended rolling backwards a few times. He sustained only some minor bruising .
    With a smirk ,Jin eyes glowed at this comment and he replied " We are pirates ,aren't we ? Come at me with whatever you got my friend "

Kilij was already charging at the time . As the distance between them lessened , he stopped and jumped to one side .
    Jin took notice of that and he followed Kilij .
    However Kilij moved away performing a few feints . Then he jumped in the other direction and swung both his swords from above . At the same time he kicked dirt straight towards Jin's face. Jin could follow Kilij's feints but the combo of swords from above and the dirt got him .

Jin pushed his already drawn wakizashi to block the sword coming from his left and took his katana from the sword belt to an upright postion with the hilt at the top and tip of the sword at bottom to block Kilij's right sword .
    With his attention elsewhere the dirt landed on his face and some of it entered his eyes . Jin decided to pull himself back as far as he could so as not let Kilij take any advantage .

Pretty well move but a cliched one . I think I have a remedy though it may bite me if things take too long .

Jin blinked continuously while moving away to settle his dirt out of his eyes .
    His eyes turned red as he felt a hint of pain . Such an act caused a flow of tears from Jin's eyes and some of the dirt came out with it .His eyes were somewhat dizzy but he hoped it would be fine by the time Kilij attacks .
    Jin laughed as he said "Hahaha been a while since someone made me cry . That was well improvised but too cliched ,don't you think ? Good it would have been boring otherwise and just like a dojo fight . Hahaha let's see what else you have up in your sleeve ."

Fire Tiger likes this.
  3. Fire Tiger

Fire Tiger

Bounty Points:
    "As you wish." Kilij smiled as he took some distance from Jin. He had more options now with Jin's vision impaired. After he walked back a bit, Kilij sat himself on the ground and took off his boots. When he stood up again his feet could feel the dew covered grass. By doing this the sound from Kilij's footsteps would be reduced to a negligible amount. Now he was as quite as cat, as he slowly circled Jin.

[Let's try this once again.] From behind Jin, Kilij took drawing stance and silently performed his "Tora Sonson" once more.

[Ittoryu Iai: Tora Sonson (一刀流 「居合」 獅子歌歌 Ittōryū Iai: Shishi Sonson?, literally meaning "One Sword Style Draw and Resheath Technique: Tiger's Song"): Placing the sheathed sword upright and listening to the "breath" of his opponent, the attacker rapidly unsheathes, attacks, and resheathes their sword. An interesting note is that the user does the technique back-handed as opposed to from the waist with a standard grip on the sword.(21 Strength, 11 Mastery) Destructive Potency Rank: C]

CAPTAIN KHAN likes this.
  4. CAPTAIN KHAN

CAPTAIN KHAN

Bounty Points:
    Narration
    Thinking
    "Speech"
    Action

Jin's eyes were adjusting slightly as he saw Kilij trying to take an advantage of it . As the distance between them became larger Jin had more chances to recover . He tired to follow Kilij's movements as he vanished out of impaired field of vision .
    You shouldn't have created even more distance .

Jin was hardly surprised at the move but the silent attack from his blindspot was cumbersome .
    As Kilij's Iai was about to hit Jin ,Jin tried to put both his swords diagonally from top-right to bottom-left to intercept the incoming attack . But it was not enough as the Kilij's sword hit Jin's belly . Jin felt a bit of pain as he side-stepped but the attack was not enough to render him immobile .
    Kilij's attack made a slight bruise on Jin's skin but could not pierce it . Jin did not feel much power on the attack .
    Base Durability:
    1-20: 1. Wall/Tree Level
    21-40: 2. Small Building Level
    41-60: 3. Large Building Level : Jin's durability
    61-80: 4. City Block Level
    81-99: 5. Town Level
    Jin smiled as he said "That was not nearly enough Kilij , you need more power and technique . Let me show you . "
    As he said those words Jin steadied himself from the attack and side-step he had taken earlier . His vision was almost clear now .

With the katana in his right hand,he twisted his right wrist and forearm along with right part of his shoulder inward towards his chest . With the twisting motion he thrusted forward his long katana towards Kilij's chest . After the attack he pulled back his right arm but stopped it midway .
    Bullet (弾丸)
    Required Mastery: ( Ittoryu: 41, Strength: 41)
    The user thrusts one of his swords towards his target by twisting his wrist, forearm, and shoulder inward, toward his chest. When he pulls back his sword arm, his arm remains halfway extended for a repetition for the attack.
    DPR: B
    https://orojackson.com/threads/no-name-islands-ma-library.52636/#post-3817646
    Destructive Potency of Attacks
    1-20: 1. Below Street Level
    21-40: 2. Street Level
    41-60: 3. Wall/Tree Level
    61-80: 4. Small Building Level
    81-99: 5. Large Building Level : Effective Strength of Attack ( B Rank )
    100: 6. City Block Level
    Jin grinned as he commented on his attack " I named the attack Bullet . Does it suits ? "

Fire Tiger likes this.
  5. Fire Tiger

Fire Tiger

Bounty Points:
    Jin's counter attack was aptly named. It hit him like a high caliber bullet shot from a sniper rifle. Kilij sailed through the air as he fell on his back. Placing one of his hands on his chest, he checked for bruised ribs. Thankfully they seemed fine.

"That felt like a tree fell sideways onto me. Is that a result of your better technique or is it because you have greater strength?"

Said Kilij as got up from the ground. He momentarily planted his wooden weapons on the earth as he straightened his clothes to remove the grass and dirt from it. Picking up his weapons again and faced Jin.

"Bullet, I don't have techniques as strong as that. But maybe something like this might have an effect."

Kilij grabbed his right sword in a reverse grip and his left one a normal one. The left one was vertical in front of his face like a rhino's horn, while the right one was touching the base in a slightly diagonal angle. This time forgoing underhanded tactics, Kilij launched himself at Jin while he spun.

"Rolling Rhino!"

-Sai Kuru (犀回 Sai Kuru?, literally meaning "Rolling Rhino"): The user holds his swords in front of him pointing up, like rhinoceros horns, and spins quickly.(21 Mastery, 21 Strength) Destructive Potency Rank: C

CAPTAIN KHAN likes this.
  6. CAPTAIN KHAN

CAPTAIN KHAN

Bounty Points:
    Narration
    Thinking
    "Speech"
    Action

Jin was still grinning while he replied "Well it is a combination of both . But much of it was technique . You need to practise more if you want to attain it . It is not unthinkable ."
    "You know the popular saying - Becoming one with the sword . Even I am very far from there ." added Jin while laughing loud enough that it spooked a flock of birds to change their course away from their battlefield .
    Jin stopped his laugh and spoke in a serious tone "But you still must know how your techniques not only does damage to the opponent but how it affects your sword and the surroundings . Then only can you improve upon it . Make it more efficient ."

Jin relaxed himself from his stance and jogged around as Kilij was picking up his weapons
    "Hmm interesting . Let's see what you got my friend "replied Jin with his eyebrows raised .

As Jin was finishing his sentence Kilij launched an attack which ironically involved launching himself at Jin .
    Jin immediately jumped diagonally up and backwards to move further away from the attack's trajectory and lifted his wakizashi above his shoulder at the same time . While mid air he made a circular swing downwards resulting in compressed air moving in a spiraling motion towards Kilij and his attack .
    -Sanbyakurokuju Pound Ho (三百六十煩悩鳳 Sanbyakurokuju-Ppondo Hō?, literally meaning "360 Pound Cannon"): The user delivers a stronger version of his 36 Pound Cannon, which is presumably 10 times stronger than the original.(51 Mastery, 41 Strength) Destructive Potency Rank: B
    81-99: 5. Large Building Level : Effective Strength of Attack ( B Rank )
    Planting both his feet on the ground ,Jin was suddenly breathing heavily .
    Hmm not bad to have forced me this far for a novice . Still I shouldn't say this out loud or it would get to his head . That is not constructive for one who is learning .

Fire Tiger likes this.
  7. Fire Tiger

Fire Tiger

Bounty Points:
    Kilij unleashed his attack the "Rolling Rhino", one of the better moves on his arsenal. But just as it was about to connect Jin dodged and countered with a move of his own. It happened fast enough that Kilij didn't get much of a chance to evade. It was not that he didn't see it, he was perceptive enough and his mind easily captured the intricacies of the attack with mind bending detail. He saw it from up close after all. It was just that at this distance, his muscles couldn't move fast enough to avoid it.

The shockwave exited the blunt sword like a runaway train without brakes. This air missile was see through, but the distorted vacuum that it generated as it moved left a clear impression for the briefest of moments. When the wave was nearing Kilij's torso he heard the clap like sound of the broken sound barrier. Something similar to the cracking of a whip, only that this time it came from the wooden utensil.

The only thing Kilij managed to do was to give a sigh as the force from the wooden sword connected with him once again. Thankfully the "Rolling Rhino" attack had a wide field of effect making it so that it absorbs some of the collateral impact from Jin's move. Although not enough to entirely defend himself. Just like the last attack, Kilij found himself sailing through the air as he was going to impact the ground. In that moment, other than the pain, Kilij only registered how beautiful the morning sun looked on this island. Maybe as distraction his mind wondered what it would be like to use that big ball of fire in the sky to forge a sword. [What a masterpiece would that be?] With that thought Kilij hit the ground and lost consciousness.

When he opened his eyes again the sun rise had turned into a sunset.

Last edited: Apr 24, 2019
    CAPTAIN KHAN likes this.
  8. CAPTAIN KHAN

CAPTAIN KHAN

Bounty Points:
    Narration
    Thinking
    "Speech"
    Action

Jin placed his katana upright on the ground while raising his shoulders and bending his torso. He also raised his wakizashi to avoid the dazzling sunlight .

His attack was very swift and precise , his earlier extreme reaction also allowed the attack to be even more effective as it clashed with the spinning Kilij and forced him down to the ground .

Jin relaxed his shoulders ,picked up his katana and went near Kilij whilst still raising his wakizashi .
    He is not moving . Did the attack hit him too well ? Or is he planning something ?!!
    Jin prodded Kilij's right shoulder with his katana .
    There was no response . Jin repeated the act yet nothing yielded but he could hear Kilij's breathing .
    With an curious look on his face "Hmm, never thought the attack would be this effective on a man of Kilij's build . Or maybe it was culmination of all the attacks . Anyways I should not try to wake him up , he should be exhausted from the fight . "

Jin decided to use this time practising the sword by himself. He went near the rock where he had placed his real swords ,he picked them up and placed his wooden swords within the piece of cloth he had brought ,wrapping them like a gift . He went on swinging his swords for some hours til the sun was high up . By then he was very exhausted and was sweating all over his body . His sweat over his neck was so much that it made his haori wet around his shoulders . Jin looked for a tree to hide himself from the heat .

Jin found a large tree very near to the field . It was a lone tree but was large enough to provide ample shadow . Jin looked in Kilij's direction to find that he has not moved yet . He sat down as he placed both his swords near him on the ground,closed his eyes and decided to meditate for a while . He almost fell asleep but some birds chirping around the tree kept him awake .

Being refreshed after meditating for a long time, Jin felt hungry . He looked at the sky ,realising it was almost sundown he decided to wake up Kilij .
    Kilij was already awake when Jin reached near him .
    Jin smiled as he said " Mate I am hungry . I know a decent restaurant that serves a plethora of dishes . "

Fire Tiger likes this.
  9. Fire Tiger

Fire Tiger

Bounty Points:
    [That was a nice nap] Thought Kilij as he lay in the ground. But that thought was interrupted by the pain of his bruised muscles. [Ouch. Oh well. I've been injured way worse than this before. So it could be worse.] Kilij felt pain in his chest as he moved, but from experience he knew that this type of injury weren't threatening at all. Just a bit inconvenient. It was at that point that he saw Jin approaching him.

"Sure." Said Kilij as he got up from the ground. Walking over to his stuff, Kilij pulled out a water canteen that he used to clean himself from the dirt and grime of the day. As he cleaned up, Kilij was thinking of the places his eaten at. A place came to his mind, a restaurant hidden in a back alley with red paper lanterns on the outside and a wooden bar on the inside. Feeling slightly refreshed, Kilij replied. "Other than the ramen place, I often visit an isakaya pub. This place tends to serve a pretty big crowd, so they have a more expansive menu than the average pub. They even have some outdoor siting to enjoy the evening air."

With that Kilij picked up his equipment and looked at the sun that was descending in the direction of the forested area. [The dawn is beautiful on this island, but the dusk is somewhat lacking.] Pondered Kilij as he was getting ready to depart. "Shall we go? If we hurry we might avoid the evening crowd."

CAPTAIN KHAN likes this.
  10. CAPTAIN KHAN

CAPTAIN KHAN

Bounty Points:
    Narration
    Thinking
    "Speech"
    Action

"Okay get your gear and let's head there as soon as we can . "replied Jin .

Jin could feel some of his last remaining bit of sweat clinging to him ,even meditating in an open field with cool air had not gotten rid of all sweat ,some survived . He pulled up his right arm to see if it smelled . Fortunately it was bearable .
    Good ,it is within limit . Maybe I have practised so much in my life ,it does not cause irritating smelly sweat anymore. Well it is not that I ever cared for it . May as well be termed a smelly person . Wait I heard someone singing about a smelly cat in the alley the other day ,she might find another person to add .
    Laughing at his thought he took up his gift wrapped cloth containing the wooden swords,put his real ones in on his sword belt and started walking .
    I forgot to see how the wooden swords fared after the fight . I shall have to see them before returning .
    Stopping his laugh and with a surprised look Jin replied "I was about to suggest the same place,I doubt there are any other isakaya pub with an outdoor sitting here .Hahahha.. . It is in a back alley . And wait ....mmmmm...I think it also has red paper lanterns with character for Ne written in hiragana .You know the place I mentioned just now when you woke up ."
    Jin looked back towards his mate who was getting ready to depart .
    "Yeah . Also I am hungry ,man . Do Minks not get hungry ?!! "said Jin with a sarcastic look at the his last part of the reply .

11. Fire Tiger

Fire Tiger

Bounty Points:
    "Yup, that's the one. They serve great karaage there. It has a nice ambiance. A good traditional place, but they do have modern sensibilities. So you get the best of both worlds. Plus they're open till the morning."

"Hungry? Obviously you haven't seen me eat. I hold the record for wolfing down a whole chicken in record time. If you blink, you'll only see the bones. Tora-tora-tora-tora-tora."

Laughed Kilij as he reentered the town. As he was returning his toll token at the gatehouse he noticed an uptake of activity from the townsfolk. They were dressed in fancier traditional clothes than normal. These were made in silk with elaborate designs and patterns. There were stalls and kiosks assembled all over the plaza and there was a jovial mood around the place. Kilij was a bit dumbfounded at first until he remembered that there was supposed to be a festival tonight.

"I forgot that there was a festival tonight. It seems that you arrived at the perfect time to visit the city." Spoke the Tiger Mink as he walked to a stall that was selling masks. They had a great variety from fox masks, to oni masks, noh masks, and even comical masks of famous individuals from the sea. Kilij picked a tiger mask and payed for it. He put it on and turned to Jin.

"It's almost as if I have two faces. Anyway let's hurry. I'm getting the feeling that the pub will be more full than usual."

CAPTAIN KHAN likes this.
  12. CAPTAIN KHAN

CAPTAIN KHAN

Bounty Points:
    Narration
    Thinking
    "Speech"
    Action

Jin laughed along with Kilij and replied "We shall see it then "

Both Jin and Kilij made it through the city . Jin saw the city lining itself up for festivities . The streets were cleaner than usual . It somehow seemed Ne had put on a new skin to welcome the festival .
    He has never been that found of festivals to remember their timings or even their names . Though he somewhat enjoyed the fireworks . Almost everyone enjoys the fireworks,Jin could not escape from that .
    "How lucky I am !!" replied Jin in the most sarcastic way he could .
    He remembered the festivals during his childhood ,some spent with his family and some trying to steal food from the stalls . They were of huge contrast and always led Jin thinking of what would have happened to him if his parents had not died at such an early age.
    The festivals had a different meaning for me ..... Better not foul it up for Kilij here . He is super excited .

"Two face Kilij . That has a good ring to it . Wonder the Marine would put it on your bounty poster ?!"Jin joked as he fiddled with a oni mask .

He hurried and tired to see for available seats around the pub .
    As he found two seats ,he signaled Kilij towards it and said " Let's grab them before anyone claims them . " pausing a bit and changing to a bit serious tone he added " So how was the spar ?!! Did you grasp anything ? "

13. Fire Tiger

Fire Tiger

Bounty Points:
    The izakaya pub was bustling with activity from the many patrons. Kilij didn't know if the crowd was from the regulars that usually come after work or if they were from the nearby villages that were attracted to the festival. Thankfully Jin managed to secure a couple of seats on the outdoor tables. The dark wood tables surely have seen many customers in their time. Countless scratches that made names or drawings covered their surface. Kilij even spotted the name of the blind old man that ran the smithy. After a second of thought, Kilij pulled out a hidden dagger and used it to carve the words "Kilij Dao Odachi Blacksmith of the Backyard Pirates".

A waitress came and Kilij ordered several plates of fried chicken that was locally called karage and a pitcher of ale. It was then that Jin asked a question.
    Kilij stopped to ponder the matter. He was outclassed by Jin in pretty much every aspect. Even though he was well experienced fighting in the gladiatorial arenas, it lacked in comparison to a combination of classical training and life experiences. Therefore he put his thoughts together and replied to the crew member.

"Lately I've been spending a lot of my time on the forge and I seem to be somewhat neglecting my martial training. During today's spar I tried to rely on trickery to get the upper hand, but it was pointless in the face of a more seasoned fighter. I need to improve my mastery of the sword and get into better shape to perform my specialty moves."

The food arrived and the Tiger Mink feasted on chicken. The greasy meat was covered in a fine layer of breadcrumbs and it made a splendid crunching sound as one bit into it. The tender taste pleased the Mink so much that he made the choice to get another serving. As a pile of leftover bones grew on the table, the Mink turned to say a few words to his friend.

"I gotta thank you for helping me gain experience Jin. I know that everyone in the crew had their own dreams and aspirations. To take time to aid another can not be understated. Therefore when we go back to crew, I'll forge you a new blade of your choice."

As he spoke those words, Kilij's gaze shifted to the sky as a series of fireworks lit up the night. Booming noise and colorful lights reflected on his tiger face and he smiled. [Not sure if he heard me with all the noise, but it don't matter. The future is bright either way.]

CAPTAIN KHAN likes this.
  14. CAPTAIN KHAN

CAPTAIN KHAN

Bounty Points:
    Narration
    Thinking
    "Speech"
    Action

Hmm . A humble afterthought . Should I praise him ? Nope let's just say he is on the right track . Yup . That's it .
    Jin cleared his throat mimicking a very cliched approach to a lecture and spoke "Okay . I think you have the right idea there . Trickery would only get you an advantage if you have the skills to back it up with . You need to develop technique . Now that can only be done through a thousands swings a day . If you do that , you will know what to do like what to add in and improve over your form to gain powerful attacks."
    Jin paused as the karage and a pitcher of ale came . He then went on to add "Also you did not push me far enough . You need to be more gritty . Now now we shall leave the lecturing for later , let's have some of the food ".

Jin took a bite of the chicken and he felt he was in Heaven . Whether it was the taste or the hunger that led to such belief was a mystery . He started to dig in while admiring its taste .
    Now this is ecstasy in a healthy form !!! I should make myself hungry before tasting good food . It tastes even better ...
    His thought of culinary heaven was interrupted by Kilij .
    "Your welcome ,mate . "replied Jin with a sparkling smile with all his teeth out .
    He let out blurp and continued "Nice . A new sword . I shall waiting for it . "

Fire Tiger likes this.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice