Manga Series Otoyomegatari

Discussion in 'Manga Library' started by Ukimix, Mar 11, 2014.

Share This Page

1. Ukimix

Ukimix

Bounty Points:
    Maybe some of you read this one, so it would be nice to discuss it

Otoyomegatari (The Bride's Stories) by Kaoru Mori

[​IMG]
    Mangaupdates review:
    Acclaimed creator Kaoru Mori (Emma, Shirley) brings the nineteenth-century Silk Road to lavish life, chronicling the story of Amir Halgal, a young woman from a nomadic tribe betrothed to a twelve-year-old boy eight years her junior. Coping with cultural differences, blossoming feelings for her new husband, and expectations from both her adoptive and birth families, Amir strives to find her role as she settles into a new life and a new home in a society quick to define that role for her.

Nominated for the 2013 Manga Taisho Awards.

Personal comment:
    The art is absolutely stunning:

[​IMG]

Kaoru Mori should have to be like an anthropologist mixed with a high quality novelist and with a very skilled drawer... She just should have to do such a deep investigation to be able to write something like this. The sensibilities, the mentality, the signs and gestures, the passions of the people living in those plains from the XIX century middle Asia, are really well drawn and told. And don't let yourself be misguided by the usual genre classifications like Romance and Slice of Life. In deep it is an slice of live from the people living in that plains and in that century, where marriage were a support of the economy of the clans from the epoch. So you can find pages like this from chapter 30:
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Mar 11, 2014
    Machi, Divvens, Riley Escobar and 2 others like this.
  2. Hasashi

Hasashi

Bounty Points:
    yeah I´ve been reading this too. I like it, its a pleasent read. As you said; great art. It's a win as a manga: protraying this old culture with his drawings + you learn about some interesting cultural habits. Can't say I really like the main charachters, but I certainly don't dislike them.

3. Ukimix

Ukimix

Bounty Points:
    I enjoyed the story of Carluc and Amira. Now we are beginning a new story. The last chapter was a good start. I wonder what is happening with this young bride.

Riley Escobar, Junior and Hasashi like this.
  4. Hasashi

Hasashi

Bounty Points:
    I'm actually a little disappointed with that. I hope he will somehow flip back, like the two stories come to intersect with each other, or just after a while he will continue / switch back to Amir's story :(

though I have to admit, he ended the first story at a rather good point. so thumbs up for that

Last edited: Mar 11, 2014
    Riley Escobar and Junior like this.
  5. Ukimix

Ukimix

Bounty Points:
    The author is not a 'he' but a beautiful 'she', you know? :lol:

I suppose it's possible Amir could have news about the western sociologist (I don't remember his name) in the future. But, it's possible that won't happen too. What didn't you like of Amir's story up to now?

Machi, Divvens, Riley Escobar and 2 others like this.
  6. Hasashi

Hasashi

Bounty Points:
    makes sense that 'he' is a 'she' xD , though a good 'he' writer could've written it like that too (shoujo/josei romance)

I liked the story, somehow I wanted it to end at a point when her immature husband grew up somewhat and they weren't the newlyweds of the clan/family anymore.. but thats maybe a faulty insight due to my focus on the male 'protagonist' who actually isnt that important.
    --- Double Post Merged, Mar 11, 2014, Original Post Date: Mar 11, 2014 ---
    she is awesome!!

Riley Escobar, Junior and Ukimix like this.
  7. Ukimix

Ukimix

Bounty Points:
    Hopefully she will draw an adult version of Carluc together with Amira. Someone will ask her to do it :yaaa:

Riley Escobar, Junior and Hasashi like this.
  8. Riley Escobar

Riley Escobar - The Villain - Wanted

Bounty Points:
    Informed Divvens to add this to the Manga Section Directory

Ukimix and Hasashi like this.
  9. kdom

kdom

Bounty Points:
    A dedicace by the author for manga-news last week in Paris

Ukimix likes this.
  10. Ukimix

Ukimix

Bounty Points:
    Shame that I can't see the vid due to geographical restrictions, as it's said in the vid.
    --- Double Post Merged, Apr 17, 2014, Original Post Date: Mar 31, 2014 ---
    In fact she does a lot of investigation... But she wants to provide entertainment to the reader mainly. [​IMG] Ey @kdom , what is that format they talk about? ... And did you get some interesting pics?

Divvens likes this.
  11. kdom

kdom

Bounty Points:
  12. Ukimix

Ukimix

Bounty Points:
    It's amazing an editor creates a format only for a single artist. I don't know if English editors has taken the same decision for her or other artist. The other day I bought the deluxe Spanish edition of Nausica, and it's really nice to see the drawings in big format. Sure you are lucky there in France to have sensible editors :yaaa:.

Is this a self-portrait, manga version? I found it in a Spaniard site and there is no credits for the drawing, and I still haven't read her other works, so I can tell if it's a character...

http://1.bp.blogspo****m/-WcaTUmePdzg/Uhk3QSQ1KxI/AAAAAAAAFjg/DV7B4IOlQNk/s640/1356800954066.jpg
    http://2.bp.blogspo****m/-5_Ee9FE3xtA/UiUz8lnLlKI/AAAAAAAAFpc/8wEiEAh0AsU/s200/author2414104_2164120634081281377006606+(1).jpg

It's funny the note in manga-sanctuary says she's the cutest mangaka alive but didn't say why and it's just an standard interview. Sure she made a big impression in the author of the note :).

Machi likes this.
  13. kdom

kdom

Bounty Points:
    Well theoretically it is not just for her but there are no other author yet. But Ki-oon is a very good independant manga editor. It's quite amazing to see that it is mainly 1 guy and 1 girl who are behind it.

14. Ukimix

Ukimix

Bounty Points:
    ch 38 raw (some pages I guess): http://raw.senmanga.com/Otoyomegatari/38
    --- Double Post Merged, May 14, 2014, Original Post Date: Apr 18, 2014 ---
    Ch 37 English version reuploaded by Duralumin: http://www.batoto.net/read/_/244187/otoyomegatari_v7_ch37_by_duralumin
    --- Double Post Merged, May 14, 2014 ---
    There's beauty everywhere in the chapter... and that glance at the end of the chapter... what would be its meaning. I'm behaving as stupid western and sure Miss Mori did a detailed investigation. .... have to read... know...
    --- Double Post Merged, May 22, 2014 ---
    Nice new chapter: http://www.batoto.net/read/_/245594/otoyomegatari_v7_ch38_by_duralumin/1

Aren't you intrigued by the fact that Anis talk about that woman beauty, instead that about other thing (her talk or words)? Maybe they didn't talk each other. Anyway she wants her as her friend because of her beauty.... I suppose that if love comes it would be a discovering of Ani's skin... because she also looks very naïve.
    --- Double Post Merged, Jun 4, 2014 ---
    According to this note the drawing from above is a self-portrait of Kaoru Mori. Also I found this very funny short story written by the mangaka Morihito KaneHira's about a signing sessions that included Kaoru and him, among other's fellow artists: Morihito KaneHira's “manga diary”.
    --- Double Post Merged, Jun 30, 2014 ---
    Chinese scans of ch 39, thanks to Oberon from juinjutsuteam for hosting the pics: http://juinjutsuteam.forumcommunity.net/?t=47490259
    --- Double Post Merged, Jul 5, 2014 ---
    English chapter 39 is out in the regular sites.
    --- Double Post Merged, Jul 17, 2014 ---
    Raw of ch 40 out: http://raw.senmanga.com/Otoyomegatari/40

Duralumin last post on Kaoru Mori:
    You may recall Kaoru Mori received the 2014 Taisho award for her work on Otoyomegatari. As thanks, she whipped up a map of the central asia region and clarified some real-world inspirations for the designs of her characters! This link goes back to source post and raw image, my translation is below:
    [​IMG]
    --- Double Post Merged, Dec 18, 2014 ---
    So they are going to share the nuts of the husband.... mmmm

Last edited: Jul 17, 2014
    Machi, Burn and Divvens like this.
  15. Machi

Machi

Bounty Points:
    thanks lately im so overflowed by one piece that i barely dwell on other mangas. this seri is great so far and i will read it :D

Ukimix likes this.
  16. Ukimix

Ukimix

Bounty Points:
    I told my daughter of 6 years old the story of Shirin and Anis and read with her the last chapter. It was a nice experience, since I avoided purposely all moral judgements and leave the story to be judged for what it is. My daughter thought Shirin and Anis were great friends, and didn't have problems in understanding that they could share the husband. That was really nice!

Machi likes this.
  17. Machi

Machi

Bounty Points:
    I'm still following this manga. The story of Shirin and Anis...I don't want to pass judgment on this but it was interesting nonetheless. Anis is very lucky to have such a kind husband.

Now the story continues with Pariya and Umar. I must say I enjoy her awkwardness. XD

I guess this manga is not monthly released?

Sallucion likes this.
  18. Ukimix

Ukimix

Bounty Points:
    It's nearly monthly based (10 issues per year). Here the mangaupdates profile of the series and here a note about harta (before Fellows!) the magazine. The new chapter is released in October.

Here a color work made by Duralumin, the scanlator:

[​IMG]

Machi likes this.
  19. Machi

Machi

Bounty Points:
    Last edited by a moderator: Jun 3, 2017
  20. ann_lle

ann_lle

Bounty Points:
    It is a pleasant read, isn't it? I like Amira and Carluc most, and I hope at some point the author will bring us their story again, but even if she doesn't, it's still a good read.
    I like that the author tries her best to portray the story as accurate as possible. It makes me feel 'Ah.. someone of different culture values the culture of my ancestors. That's nice.'

Hasashi and Machi like this.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice