Oro Jackson log #4 - Chapter 842 - Gear 4th tankman, Cracker pulls a Team Rocket

Discussion in 'One Piece Reviews, Articles & Analysis' started by Shanksette, Oct 7, 2016.

Share This Page

1. Shanksette

Shanksette

Bounty Points:
    OMG OJ logs are back!!
    1|2|3|4|5|6

So, for those of you who are wondering "wtf is even that 'OJ log' :yawn:?", it's explained in detail in the 1st OJ log :D but, basically, I wanted to keep track of OJ's weekly reactions and ideas at each chapter release, as well as put my reactions in a detailed post. Joke's on me, seems that I had waaay more free time when I came up with the idea than now, and that, just like Cracker, I bit more than I could chew. I'm thinking of making this a monthly thing rather than weekly. Or maybe I'll just get one out when I have the time. Anyway, the main idea was to write down a summary of the community's response to the chapter, so actually anyone who's active on OJ can do it, and I'll gladly share the task if anyone's interested in writing some of these.
    Soooo, after 2 months of inactivity, here's the 4th OJ log, about chap. 842!! (yaaay)

Part I: my reactions
    I'm not going to comment on the chapters I missed (835 to 841) since I pretty much said everything in the chapters threads. For chapter 842, I'm going to try a new format, with less images and more text.
    On a global note, my comment about this chapter is that I hadn't laughed so much reading One Piece in a while. From the horror-ish scenes of Chopper appearing in a random lady's mirror to the ridiculously absurd fight, this is, to me, the funniest chapter of the whole Zou and WCI arcs so far.

[​IMG]
    (Corazon's make up anyone :kappa:?)

[​IMG]
    I sooo didn't expect this to happen :rofl::rofl:

[​IMG] [​IMG]
    Weirdest. Punchline. Ever.

Since there are basically two parallel story lines, I'll tackle both of them separately (I don't have much to comment on the Chopper side of things for this chapter).

Concerning the Vinsmokes side, Sanji is beat up so that his face is swollen, and last week I genuinely thought that Judge would be pissed at the other sons, but Reiju puts a mask on him and all's well. She then asks THE question the fans had been asking for a week, i.e. where he got his chivalry from, and ensues a very short and seemingly rushed flashback, showing Zeff threatening little Sanji of cutting his balls. Next panel shows Sanji with bruises over bruises (literally), and this is supposed to explain why Sanji can never hurt a woman. I feel like there's more to this than this 3-panel flashback and I predict we'll get another flashback, especially because, in this situation, it looks like Sanji didn't want to give a detailed explanation to his sister, so maybe he's hiding some more developped story. Regarding Reiju, I wrote a somewhat long text about how I view her character, but it's not really related to the present chapter so you can skip it if you want.
    The Vinsmokes have been questioned for their lack of originality as characters, and, though I started the arc being more interested in the Germa plot than the Big Mom plot, I'm agreeing more and more. Right now I feel like Reiju is the only one worth writing an analysis about, and here are my thoughts about her (which you may find quite generic too).
    Little Reiju seems to fit well in the Vinsmoke family, she's like the others, she's strong, she's "loved" and encouraged by her father. The only difference between her brothers and her is that she can't bring herself to hate and despise Sanji, and she actually pities that little bit of weak boy. Though, deep inside, she cares for him, she doesn't want to have anything to do with him (see her line "why are you telling me this?" when Sanji tells her about his ambitions of becoming a chef) because she wants to stay on good terms with the other Vinsmokes. Yes, she's not a saint, she probably likes her other brothers and her father as much as she does Sanji, she doesn't want to leave them or go against them, they're her family. She just doesn't want to let Sanji die or live a miserable life either. It weighs on her conscience as a sister. Good for her, she found the perfect opportunity to be at peace with herself by getting poor little Sanji out of his distress, and I also believe that her telling him to never come back was genuinely out of love for her brother.
    But as time went by, she got used to life without him, I assume she wasn't too unhappy with her regal life, and I even believe that it became much easier for her after Sanji's departure, without the contradiction between her desire to fit in her family and her pity for Sanji. Until he came back. Well, until chapter 841, no one had ganged up on Sanji to beat him to a pulp, so everything was fine. She didn't care much for the arranged marriage since, most likely, she didn't think it would make Sanji too miserable (given how she finds Pudding suitable and how she maybe doesn't grasp the extent to which the Strawhat crew matters to Sanji). But in chapter 841, after the mass beat up, she started becoming angry. Right now, the way I take it, she's pissed off because that lynching brought back bad memories of her childhood when she was feeling guilty and it disturbed her peace of mind. She's a little bit at a loss for what to do and she's taking it out on Sanji, accusing his return of being the cause of her newfound uncomfortable contradictory position. Notice however that she paid close attention to Sanji's behaviour since his return, and she's probably the only one who noticed the change in both Sanji's power and personality, which might become a relevant element later on. Looks like the brothers see him as someone who's still weaker than them and still is soft-hearted enough to consider servants as human beings. To me, the way Reiju is portrayed, there is little to no probability that she doesn't switch sides by the end of the arc. She's playing it cold for now and she's having doubts but she'll probably turn good.
    As a concluding remark, I've been saying a lot that Reiju's not a saint, that she wants peace of mind, but I'm not saying that she's a bad person. Some of you know that I used to want her to be a cold-hearted manipulator, but now that it's clear that it won't be the case, I don't want people to think I'm still clinging on some hope that she has evil sides. What I actually mean is that she's complex, and has contradictory drives, and that's a very human side to her that we got to discover only recently (previous chapter), and which I greatly appreciate. To me, Reiju used to have the potential of being a great villain, now she has the potential of being a great character: she'll obviously be facing choices (side with Judge or with Sanji) and we will see more into her psychology, but at the same time she's far from being weak and could very well be a badass fighter, so I have high hopes for her. Please don't put her aside Oda >< your strong female characters lack spotlight.........

About the Luffy side, though I wasn't much impressed by Luffy eating crackers in the previous chapter (it had been called by some members before the chapter came out), the techniques he used in this one coupled with some smartly drawn panels and absurd speech lines made this chapter hilarious to me, as in early-One Piece-hilarious. I've never cared much for fights in One Piece and don't scratch my head too much over what is or isn't logical in terms of power level, as long as it's not a hard-to-believe-in ass-pull. So I'm happy if it's turned in a humorous way. I appreciated Nami's moment of badassery, it looks like her TS weather techniques combined to Usopp's Sorcery Clima tact are pretty fearful, and she's putting her Vivre card to good use. Vivre card which, by the way, I hope is going to have further importance down the timeline.
    [​IMG][​IMG]
    Nami was pretty cool in this chapter :yaaa:!!!

A little sad that we didn't get Gomu gomu no throw up, as some members predicted last week :lmao:. So, in the end, Cracker has finally lost, he was a skilled fighter (I believe that everyone agrees on his awakening) but too bad he ate the devil fruit of... biscuits :lmao:.

Fun fact: notice how Chopper uses the same running technique as Brook in chapter 675, which was picked up and lampshaded by his running companions two chapters later.
    [​IMG] [​IMG]

Part II: Oro Jackson log

Let me start with a summary of the previous weeks before tackling this one in more detail. For a quick impression on the global appreciation of chapters by the fans, you can refer to this recent thread created by @The_Monster_Trio (props to him :yaaa:)

Since last OJ log, the story in One Piece progressed on both Luffy and Sanji's sides. Chapter 835 (Aug 4) revealed some stuff about the Charlotte family (Big Mom's devil fruit, Pound being a husband and also Chiffon and Lola's dad) which weren't too hard to guess, and got Cracker appearing for the first time, making the fans wonder if he was one of Big Mom's top warriors. Some comparisons between BM's Soul fruit and Moriah's Shadow fruit were raised. Chapter 836 (Aug 18) raised a lot of reactions regarding Nami's hammerspace in her cleavage, and some hype towards Cracker, with a lot of cracker puns as a side-effect. Chapter 837 (Aug 25), basically a fight chapter, ends on Luffy Gear 4thing Cracker which throws the OJ community on a hype fest. That chapter was particularly appreciated, as it also gave information on the whereabouts of some Supernovae, and especially the fact that Urouge previously managed to defeat a Big Mom Commander (and was the only one able to pull off that achievement), bumping Urouge up to the top of the Supernova strength ladder. In chapter 838 (Sep 1), we discover the inside of Mirror world and some fans accurately predict that Chopper and Carrot can use it to travel from mirror to mirror, and we get to see Cracker's true appearance. The latter's statement about despising pain and his managing to harm a haki imbued Luffy make the power level discussions very lively, with the start of the comparisons with Doflamingo. On a side-note, some fans speculate on the identity of the newlyweds whose wedding Shanks is attending on the cover page (Mihawk and Lucky Roo being the main guesses). During the two-week break that followed, not much was to be said about the current events and a big debate involving Mihawk and Shanks went on for some time.

Then chapters 839 (early release Sep 14), 840 (early release Sep 21) and 841 (Sep 29) focused on the now traditional arc flashback, which here told the story of little Sanji. The flashback was pretty well received by the community and dubbed saddest backstory by several members, with more and more fans wishing for Sanji to give the Vinsmokes the lesson that they need, and that they deserve. Fans noticed the strikingly obvious Nazi theme in the Germa 66 kingdom, as well as the similarities with fictional organizations such as Schoker from Kamen Rider and Science Ninja Team Gatchaman from Gatchaman (see theory). OJ members speculated shortly on the nature of the machinery seen at the end of chap.839 (preeminent answers were: clone machine, maybe of Vergo, healing structure and human-creating device) before being given the answer the following week. Sanji losing to his brothers was pointed out and some fans complained that Sanji was losing a lot of fights lately, while others argued that he didn't actually lose in most of his fights. Likewise, the fighting capacity of the Vinsmoke brothers is debated quite a lot, especially given Niji's apparently extreme swiftness, and Yonji's level is reopened to discussion, now that the flashback puts him on the same level as his brothers. Seeing that Sanji's a genuine human relieved his truest fans, and a lot of members believe that Sanji is a late bloomer who will be able to benefit from Judge's genetic modifications (exoskeleton in particular) later than his brothers. A rising theory is that the Vinsmokes were injected with Devil fruit information content (DNA? Hormones? Other molecules?) and that their swirling eyebrows are a consequence of this. I was personally very interested in the revelations about Vegapunk but not much could be said on that subject except mere speculation. Chapter 841 finally put an end to the big debate about Reiju's morality, and the big majority of fans have now accepted that she isn't a villain. A lot of people were moved by the backstory, the prediction that Sanji's mother is a sweetheart was confirmed, some speculated that Sanji's food precipitated his mother's death and some were disappointed by the fact that Reiju echoed Jaguar D. Saul's words to Robin. The way the Germa crossed the Red Line (with their snails) and the laser beam technology used in the war against Kojia left a lasting impression on the fans. A big interrogation was where Sanji got his chivalry from. I wonder if Sanji's mom is also Ichiji, Niji and Yonji's mom, since they were born on the same day, it would then mean that she was pregnant with four kids at some point :eek:. The panel that pulled at my heartstrings the most was the one where Judge asks little Sanji to never call himself his son, it was depressing and it gave me Tywin Lannister vibes too.

And, back to Luffy, a lot of fans were skeptical about the 11 hour duration of the fight (it was previously speculated, though not approved by everyone, that the fight had been ended off-screen and that Luffy had won, and that next time we would see him would be in Whole Cake Chateau), while Luffy and Nami should have more urgent things to do like rescue Sanji. But the fans understood well the "Fight. Run. Eat. Repeat." process, explaining that Luffy would first use G4 to break the biscuit soldiers, then turn back to normal before being drained, then run to cover and finally eat to replenish his energy, and repeat. For the record, I want to write down Cracker's all-time best quote: "I'm not passing on free biscuits dammit!"

All right, moving on to the present chapter! (Finally)​
    (NOTE: I haven't read entirely the chapter discussion thread so expect the following content to be incomplete and outdated. It will be updated as I catch up, meanwhile please feel free to point out anything important that I have missed :))
    • Two main reactions stand out in this chapter: the hilarity from the absurdity of Luffy's techniques, and the frustration that the fight was treated as a joke.
    • Though this chapter provides an explanation on Nami's presence during these 11 hours, some fans are unsatisfied with Cracker not being able to really harm her, and also question Oda's consistency about Cracker's haki power. Nami fans are happy to see her address a Yonko commander boldly and celebrate her entrance into the "I said Luffy's gonna be PK" club.
    • Brulee not being able to catch up to Carrot and Chopper, in her own world, while they had balls and chains attached to them, also led the fans to question her threat level.
    • Regarding Sanji, speculation that his mask will fall off in front of Big Mom and Judge was raised, thus causing some degree of chaos. Fans wondered where Ichiji was, and strong speculation about the Tamate box being passed on from the Charlottes to the Vinsmokes during the gift exchange ceremony exists, thus causing higher degree of chaos (like a war between both parties, for example.)
    • About Sanji learning chivalry from Zeff, the reactions are mixed. The general tendency is satisfaction that this important trait comes from someone as equally important to him, but some fans find the explanation too short while others think there shouldn't be more flashbacks on that subject.
    • Back to Luffy, fans are hyped to discover a new form of Gear 4th, as was accurately speculated before, and the words "full version" leads the community to think that a basic version of G4 tankman exists. It is a consensus that Cracker has lost this fight for good, and fans now speculate that he will crash the wedding party :punhusky:.
    • The whereabouts of Pound, Randolph and his crane are still unknown.

:sparkles:The corner of theories :sparkles:
    Since, these past weeks, at least as many theories proved true as false, I'll pay due homage to our theorists instead of just listing the theories which have to be barred from the pending list ^^. This below concerns only the present chapter.
    • Baum's top of the head was indeed cut off by Cracker :yaaa: (ok not really a theory... But it was correctly predicted)
    • Nami helped by softening the biscuit soldiers with rain :yaaa:
    • Luffy showed a new Gear 4th form during this fight :yaaa:
    • Brulee is indeed in the mirror world "fighting" Chopper and Carrot :yaaa:
    • Sanji's chivalry was not inspired by his mother.

Last edited: Jan 14, 2017
    YoungCoby, NieR, East and 17 others like this.
  2. akagami spy gel

akagami spy gel

Bounty Points:
    dude,just thanks for a nice summary!

Yasin and Shanksette like this.
  3. Shottie

Shottie Roger Cracker

Bounty Points:
    :rofl::rofl::rofl: damn click bait. "cracker pulls a team rocket" :tearsofjoy::tearsofjoy::tearsofjoy:
    ok ok let me read the rest of this. :lmao:

East, Yasin and Shanksette like this.
  4. Shanksette

Shanksette

Bounty Points:
    My pleasure, glad that you liked it :yaaa:!

What? What do you mean "clickbait" :lmao: it's just how it happened in the chapter :rofl::rofl:

NieR, Yasin and Shottie like this.
  5. Shottie

Shottie Roger Cracker

Bounty Points:
    I can imagine you as a reporter in the Seducing woods dodging apples and biscuits from OJ fans. :rofl:
    I'll keep an eye out for further logs from ya now. I really enjoyed your analysis of the chapter discussion. :D
    --- Double Post Merged, Oct 10, 2016, Original Post Date: Oct 10, 2016 ---
    I clicked the thread because the title intrigued me enough. but you didn't even talk about cracker blasting off again or trying to steal a pickachu. :rofl::rofl::rofl:

NieR and Shanksette like this.
  6. Shanksette

Shanksette

Bounty Points:
    Haha yeah I should have insisted on the fact that he flew far enough for massive speculations to be raised concerning his landing site :kappa:

NieR and Shottie like this.
  7. Shottie

Shottie Roger Cracker

Bounty Points:
    or that a talking cat will appear again... :kappa:

NieR likes this.
  8. Shanksette

Shanksette

Bounty Points:
    Now that you mention it, it's true that @Neko has been away for a while. Which chapter will see her return :kappa:?

NieR, Neko and Shottie like this.
  9. Nadeem

Nadeem

Bounty Points:
    Did anyone noticed that. ... the laboratory that Franky had destroyed it there was the number 66 that's means vb is from germa 66

10. Aka Hata X

Aka Hata X

Bounty Points:
    That long ass post, nice review overall, to much reiju for my taste

11. Shottie

Shottie Roger Cracker

Bounty Points:
    @Neko JENKINS!!!!! :lmao: :lmao: I have absolute no idea why I this was my reaction... but i giggled like 5 mins

NieR, Neko and Shanksette like this.
  12. Nadeem

Nadeem

Bounty Points:
    I'm not kidding. Just look at my profile pic . U can see the number 66

NieR and NRW22 like this.
  13. Shanksette

Shanksette

Bounty Points:
    Thanks! Yeah the Reiju part was a bit out of place, I should have put it in the Reiju thread instead. But this way the readers can keep in mind what I think of her while they read the review, though I don't know if it's of any help... Anyway the review part was never meant to be really in-depth, it's more my spontaneous reactions :lmao:. I prefer to focus on the log part. But thanks for your feedback :)

Lmao :rofl: she's gonna be so mad at us :lmao:

Actually, could you please show the panel with the 66? I can't find it, here's what I see of the lab (chapter 592).
    VegaPunkLab.png

NieR and Shottie like this.
  14. Shottie

Shottie Roger Cracker

Bounty Points:
    :teehee: only if the other admins pick up on this. :tearsofjoy::tearsofjoy::tearsofjoy::tearsofjoy:

15. Nadeem

Nadeem

Bounty Points:
    It's the episodes number 514 the first appearance of Franky. . The old labradorite of vp in baldimor. ..at minute10:18 u can see the number 66 on one of the building

16. Danny D. Dragon

Danny D. Dragon

Bounty Points:
    Wow, this was a good long review, and i like it a lot! Keep up the good work, i'll be expecting more review from you :yaaa:

17. East

East

Bounty Points:
    Well I'm gonna say that "Cracker pulls a team rocket" clickbait banner did it job to bring me here :kappa:

My fault, actually I thought I have already 'watched' your thread :hides:, anyway I've already fixed this, and now looking forward for your next log!

18. NieR

NieR THE REAPER! Wanted Big Mom Smoothie

Bounty Points:
    Thanks so much for the efforts and this is really a long and profound summary :yaaa:

Nadeem, Ivan Zonder and Shanksette like this.
  19. Shanksette

Shanksette

Bounty Points:
    Heeeeey, sorry for answering so late :lmao::lmao::lmao:
    I honestly thought that they would notice XD

I sincerely apologize for replying more than one month later :( actually, I don't give credit to content that is not in the manga, so if this is anime-only, I wouldn't trust it :)

Thank you :) ! The next one is up now ^^

Hahaha no problem :yaaa: thanks for staying with OJ logs since the beginning ^^ the new one is up :D

You're welcome, thanks for your words :)!

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice