OP Episode 860 - A Manly Way of Life – The Captains Bege and Luffy’s Determination

Discussion in 'Previous Episode Discussion' started by RobertoTheOharaSurvivor, Nov 4, 2018.

Share This Page

?

Rate The 'Final' Chapter

1. Electrifying

9 vote(s)
    31.0%
  2. Great

11 vote(s)
    37.9%
  3. Average

6 vote(s)
    20.7%
  4. Poor

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  5. Awful

3 vote(s)
    10.3%
  1. RobertoTheOharaSurvivor

RobertoTheOharaSurvivor

Bounty Points:
    One Piece Episode 860
    Title: " A Manly Way of Life – The Captains Bege and Luffy’s Determination "
    [Otoko no Ikizama - Bejji to Rufi Senchō no Ketsui]
    「男の生き様 ベッジとルフィ船長の決意」
    Screenplay: 「冨岡淳広」 Atsuhiro Tomioka
    Episode director: 「小牧文」Aya Komaki
    Storyboard: 「小牧文」Aya Komaki
    Animation director:
    「五十内裕輔」 Yūsuke Isōchi
    Opening [21] - Super Powers | V6

Last edited: Nov 10, 2018
    Hiken_no_Esu, rayanOO, Oreki and 2 others like this.
  2. DarkWitch

DarkWitch Roger Big Mom Cracker Katakuri Smoothie

Bounty Points:
    I know Sanji kicks the carriage onto Bege's ship, but from the previews uh wtf is this?
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Nov 4, 2018
  3. bluefire12

bluefire12

Bounty Points:
    Bege.a man who assasinted infamous Crime Lord and Pirates Captains. He killed and escape their infamous assasinted. He lives to tell the tale. He cause a ruckus in Big Mom Territory causing another tale.

4. Gnomishness

Gnomishness

Bounty Points:
    A neat parabola.

5. JazzMazz

JazzMazz

Bounty Points:
    Great episode.

Aside from Ichikawa, I think this episode was completely outsourced. Studio Guts handled the key animation, but I've heard the in-betweens were given to two other outsourcing studios. Either way, its definitely Studio Guts, specifically the animation supervisor, Yusuke Ishochi, whose style shines through the most. While the episode didn't have masses of animation, the art was very on point, and I think it had a certain grittiness to it that most episodes nowadays don't really have, so I'll definitely give them credit for that. This episode marks Studio Guts return after they pretty much solo-handled the Skypiea special(which sort of felt like a waste of their talents). Good to see them back on the show, and doing good stuff again.

Despite Guts contributions elevating the visuals of the episode with strong close ups and character art, I think it was definitely Komaki's direction and storyboarding that came through the most for this episode. I appreciate how she attempts to give some actual unique atmosphere and lighting to her scenes(even if it is through just lens flares), but they definitely help, combined with her sense of colour, of giving each story beat or scene a real scene of weight to them.

Overall, great episode.
    Curious about next episode. Don't really know much about it, though I did like the scene in the preview involving Luffy and Katakuri going through each others eyes, that looked nice.

6. RobertoTheOharaSurvivor

RobertoTheOharaSurvivor

Bounty Points:
    With how the anime pace is going, we are getting closer to seeing
    Sulong Carrot

hopefully it won't disappoint

7. Oreki

Oreki Wanted

Bounty Points:
    When Luffy said Can I see a little bit in future with that background music. It was so good and look cool at the same time.

8. Puck_Owns_All

Puck_Owns_All

Bounty Points:
    Really enjoyable episode again this week. A lot of hype moments from Bege, Carrot, Sanji and then Luffy in that order. Bege was cuul as shit! and his theme song when he shot oven is one of the very best in the series I dare say :p Also loved the Chiffon moment with Bege and the rest of the crew, that was very nicely done ^^. The anime has always been very good at conveying emotional scenes and they didn't disappoint there. Gotta say though if I had one gripe with the whole Bege part, it'd be the way the Nostra Castello was revealed to be amphibious. Feel the surprise effect wasn't really there at all and it was a little to obvious that the Ship could travel on land and I can't help but think the animation theme could've done a lot better to conceal it more. Plus another typical one piece "no deaths" moment in a situation where tons of folks should've been crushed to death..lolz but it is what it is.

Also, gotta say, I also really liked the Carrot bit, and foreshadowing of the sheer epic~ness that is to come from her as we encroach on the climax of the arc ^^ (Carrot fans make sure to get spare lotion bottles ready...lolz coz it's u're gonna be needing it:lmao:). Also, the Chopper moment with him saying "Don't worry I gotchu" or something like that to Carrot was also pretty cute (not a big fan "cutsey~ness" in general:piratehunter:...lolz especially forced cutsey~ness :catcry:but I liked that bit quite a lot ^^). In addition, I'm aware Carrot is a very divisive character as regards to the "new nakama" debate, but I'm just gonna point out, that she's taken up the role of lookout quite a few times already in this arc and she was once again just standing and staring at the moon from the highest point on the Ship again this episode so we might very well be getting a new nakama in the form of carrot to fill the lookout postion :p Plus, I don't think anyone can really deny the fact that she fits the role of lookout perfectly coz she does.

Next, Sanji ^^. There wasn't really that much bad~assery from him this episode (at least compared to the last one), but I really liked the sequence of him lifting up that massive cake cart with everyone on it with just one leg and the series of reactions that followed, especially Pudding's:catded:. I really like Pudding's character and I think the anime has done a much better job at portraying her than the manga did which would make a lot more likeable I feel ^^. So yeh! for that :p. Ohh yh, quick and smart decision making from Sanji to lift the Cake up and transport it directly to the ship. Another display of his intelligence and resourcefulness:nosebleed:.
    Also I'm legit gonna fight someone if the animation team miss out the fact that Sanji used Geppo to transport that cake to the Ship, which was one of the things that made that particular feat so awesome

Lastly Luffy ^^. He didn't really get that much screen time this episode, but the last bit with him expressing his desire of wanting to be able to looking into the future and surpass Katakuri was pretty cuul. I also like the way the animation team portrayed Katakuri by putting him a few paces ahead of where Luffy was standing (indicating his superiority) when Luffy was thinking that. Really nice touch I feel. Also really like "intelligent Luffy" and can't help but feel that he's been quite mature this arc which is a big shame considering what is to come in the near future (manga readers know what I'm talking about:catcry:) but yh moment with Luffy at the end was pretty awesome!

9. Rero

Rero

Bounty Points:
    lol great episode
    Luffys goofing around was hilarious.. I was hyped at the last part..
    Bege was great this episode, but it wasn't as badass as the manga tbh
    Pudding's reactions to whatever Sanji does, always cracks me up... and Sanji lifing that huge carriage looked really great..
    loved that carrot part even tho it was short..

Puck_Owns_All likes this.
  10. The Curly Haired Ninja

The Curly Haired Ninja

Bounty Points:
    Loved this episode. Really shows that only anime can fully carry on the feels. I think Bege and Chiffon is my favourite real couple in OP. Just love their relationship.

Bege was super badass this episode. So was Sanji with the cake lifting. And I loved Bege’s happy reaction when he saw Sanji lifting it. They’re such a good team. I want them to team up so badly in the Wano arc.
    --- Double Post Merged, Nov 4, 2018, Original Post Date: Nov 4, 2018 ---
    Yep next episode will be hard lol. Looks so stupid.

11. Ziki

Ziki

Bounty Points:
    Really good episode. Bege x Chifon part in particular stood out a lot.

The final part was also quite hype... although I don't know about that "defeat him at full strenght part" but hey it was hype nonetheless... also Rayleight flashbacks :). (Luffy will need a lot more of those in the current manga arc though.)

If there was one part I dislike though then it would be Carrot's foreshadowing... I know that by now everyone including anime only's were already spoiled by what is going to happen next but still... can you make it any less obvious, rather than throwing it straight at our face. What I like about Oda's foreshadowing is that it's never obvious but rather as you read the chapter you see this one weird part and start speculate about what it meant... I don't know maybe because everyone is spoiled about it anyway, the same feel can't be replicated in anime but still... when rewatching/rereading I always loved to pick up those subtle parts where Oda foreshadows things and most of the time they weren't as obvious as this one. Oh well, it's not like long term foreshadow either, Sulong happens not far from here.

12. Inumamushi

Inumamushi

Bounty Points:
    Great episode! Really liked the Bege and Chiffon part. Sanji lifting the cart was good too. Looking forward to next week.
    Carrot commenting on full moon was there in the manga too. That was not a filler.

Last edited: Nov 4, 2018
  13. Ziki

Ziki

Bounty Points:
    Yes, but it was just brush over quickly... here however we had an obvious build up (music and stuff) leading to her saying those words making them feel more important like telling the viewer... hey look at this!

14. TivanTim

TivanTim

Bounty Points:
    At this point does it need the spoiler tag the opening itself is a spoiler for that

15. LacrimosaInferna

LacrimosaInferna

Bounty Points:
    Wow Toei really outdid himself with stretching this episode...seriously this whole Bege Chiffon was near vomiting inducing. Horrible episode with the art being the best about it. Hope next week gets better.

16. ZORO_D_SANTORYU

ZORO_D_SANTORYU

Bounty Points:
    Is it only me or WCI island arc or mainly Luffy vs Katakuri feels interesting in anime than manga?

17. SweetsFish

SweetsFish

Bounty Points:
    I doesn't hype in this and next episode (ep861) unlike BM rampage at nuts island ,this and next episode is seem bored ,but I hope i get hyped after first event at cacao island, I can't wait other BM children aside from manga has screentime in naval fight and also carrot hype at next 2 weeks

18. Hero Sanji

Hero Sanji

Bounty Points:
    Bege stole the spotlight easily. Dude is too badass for his own good. :cigar:

19. Telvin123

Telvin123

Bounty Points:
    It was obvious in the manga too. Anyways, there's no point in worrying about anime-onlys considering the opening...

20. RobertoTheOharaSurvivor

RobertoTheOharaSurvivor

Bounty Points:
    I would get thrashed on reddit if i didnt keep the spoiler hidden,
    you never know who here that doesn't read the manga
    --- Double Post Merged, Nov 5, 2018, Original Post Date: Nov 5, 2018 ---
    having Gintoki as Katakuri certainly helps XD

Hiken_no_Esu and Pritam like this.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice