OP Episode 857 - Luffy Fights Back! The Invincible Katakuri’s Weak Point!

Discussion in 'Previous Episode Discussion' started by RobertoTheOharaSurvivor, Oct 14, 2018.

Share This Page

?

Rate The Chapter

1. Electrifying

21 vote(s)
    51.2%
  2. Great

16 vote(s)
    39.0%
  3. Average

1 vote(s)
    2.4%
  4. Poor

1 vote(s)
    2.4%
  5. Awful

2 vote(s)
    4.9%
  1. RobertoTheOharaSurvivor

RobertoTheOharaSurvivor

Bounty Points:
    One Piece Episode 857
    Title: " Luffy Fights Back! The Invincible Katakuri’s Weak Point! "
    [Rufi Hangeki - Muteki Katakuri no Jakuten!]
    「ルフィ反撃 無敵カタクリの弱点!」
    Screenplay: 「米村正二」 Shōji Yonemura
    Episode director: 「小山保徳」 Yasunori Koyama
    Storyboard: 「小山保徳」 Yasunori Koyama
    Animation director:
    「伊藤修一」Shūichi Itō
    Opening [21] - Super Powers | V6

Last edited: Oct 21, 2018
  2. SanjiKun

SanjiKun

Bounty Points:
    Good episode, but the "hit and fly" got a bit repetitive. That ate up too much time. I liked the scene where Katakuri forced himself to do a back flip on his head and the flashback. It was more elaborated than in the manga. They showed what significance that had for his character.

I also liked the fact that they outlined the Kong Organ was supposed to be Luffy's final move, and Katakuri retrieved his Haki at the very last second. To Luffy, that was supposed to be the end of that battle, but Katakuri retrieved his Haki in the nick of time.

Sanji's confidence in Luffy was also on point. He didn't flinch one bit, and the epic music really made that scene.

Overall 8/10.

Last edited: Oct 14, 2018
    Sawyer, arara, Suuuuper and 13 others like this.
  3. Mr Scott

Mr Scott

Bounty Points:
    Great episode, the quality in the Luffy/Katakuri fight is thankfully remaining consistent so far, Katakuri using his head to stop himself falling on his back was so awesome, seriously what a badass :catsalute:. Lastly the Sanji scene at the end was great, it actually came off better than it did in the manga.

Sawyer, Suuuuper, Rero and 10 others like this.
  4. Ziki

Ziki

Bounty Points:
    Considering how much extra beatdown we saw added in anime from Katakuri, it was good to see Luffy's G4 land in few extra hits in here as well. To balance it a little bit... even if none of those hits, or manga hits were truly deserved as they are all result of merienda but let's leave that aside.

Still with those extra hits I can't help but think that Anime messed up badly by adding calvarin because this allowed Katakuri to see it. While later in the fight there is important part where clavarin is used for the first time and catches Katakuri completely off guard... and the next calavrin no longer hits because Katakuri already realized that it's not normal attack.
    Well maybe I am complaining a little bit too much though, considering that this time Katakuri didn't have observation haki on... but still... whatever, anime is anime and the fight is going great!

Speaking of fight going great though... peerless donuts/unstoppable donuts/glactic donuts whatever their name is... they look so beastly in anime with this blueish haki. Toei continues to deliver on quality of this fight... although in general, the sad days of Dressrosa are long since gone, WCI has it's mishaps but overall quality is best since time skip at the very least. This arc is also my favourite new world arc no doubt so yea... ever since reverie ended, I am always more invested into new episodes of anime rather than the manga even though I already know the story. Wano had very solid start but the anime is simply doing so good and it's climax period of WCI as well. Best of all, anime made me like this arc more and more and even though I am waiting for WCI to end first in anime, the next time I think about making my top 5 list of One Piece Arc, for the very fist time since ages, that list will have new contender.

5. BOCCHI

BOCCHI Wanted! Wanted

Bounty Points:
    The episode was really on point and was handled very well!

6. Dango

Dango

Bounty Points:
    Really enjoyable episode.

I think Toei is doing a phenomenal job in adding very interesting fillers to further justified the reason why things went that way.

A great one, was the the filler of the slowed time of how Katakuri is actually dodging attacks.

My other personal favorite was when they kept showing Katakuri not falling in his back to emphasis his pride of not letting down his sis brulee. Then flipping with his head was sooo sick!!!

This fight is already hitting Rob Lucci lvl. Me personally, I think this fight could draw more people to start watching One Piece.

Excellent Job Toei, once again!!

7. Quindale22

Quindale22

Bounty Points:
    Great episode. So gear 4 haki is => katakuri advance haki. And also Luffy isn’t that bad fighting 2 ppl with advance use of there devil fruit. Can’t wait for his awakening. I loved how katakuri fought to keep his back from touching the floor even using his head to bounce off the ground. I almost forgot about pound (RIP ?). Can’t wait for Oven to get blitzed

8. BOCCHI

BOCCHI Wanted! Wanted

Bounty Points:
    Nah there is no such a thing as G4 haki.

G4 has so much force and strength behind each attack that relying only on advanced CoA isn't enough.

joby, Suuuuper, Atari Willow and 5 others like this.
  9. kom5

kom5

Bounty Points:
    They shorten the time or have I imagined it ?

Anyway good episode better animation than against doflamingo and cracker Im glad toei like katakuri got up at the nick of time because if they would fuck up this battle too then the popularity and sales would decrease even further right now we have a epic fight the only thing I finded not good was that katakuri took leo bazooka like nothing I mean leo bazooka is even more devasting that kong gun but the rest was good
    the way katakuri got up by using his head shows us that he wasnt overhelmed like doflamingo

10. Quindale22

Quindale22

Bounty Points:
    I don’t think g4 is only about more power I think it boost his armament haki. Doffy hand started stinging the same why Luffys did when katakuri hit him which I took as strong haki not just muscle

11. BOCCHI

BOCCHI Wanted! Wanted

Bounty Points:
    He didn't really take it like nothing... he got sent flying like all other G4 attacks did to him.
    Yeah, that was clear from the manga from each G4 attack Kata would stop himself mid air showing how he can handle the power of G4 to some extent.
    --- Double Post Merged, Oct 14, 2018, Original Post Date: Oct 14, 2018 ---
    You are thinking of anime only which even then never implied better haki. G4 is littrally is about far better status like power, defence, speed and the ability to fly. Haki is not included.

12. Inumamushi

Inumamushi

Bounty Points:
    Great episode!!! Really enjoyed it.
    One Piece never had decrease in popularity or sales. Each volume is selling 2+ million copies. Only the anime is having bad reputation.

Sawyer, Suuuuper and SanjiKun like this.
  13. SanjiKun

SanjiKun

Bounty Points:
    People confuse Haki with strength or power, like Ki in Dragon Ball. That's not the case. Haki is only 1 part of fighting.

Gear 4 makes Luffy's DF stronger using Haki to the point where Katakuri's CoA gets overpowered. Katakuri still has stronger Haki.

Hakipotence, Puck_Owns_All and SMILE like this.
  14. playa4321

playa4321

Bounty Points:
    My man he tank 5hits of G4(even Leo Bazooka) without going down. Katakuri is rly a beast, both durability+endurance are insane(Stamina aswell).
    Did Toei foreshadowing with Culverin how Katakuri will get defeat later, it was similar as King Cobra

The episode was very good, like the fight between Katakuri vs Luffy, the Powermochi was beastly, how Luffy look after he took that attack.

Great episode 9/10

For the upcomming episode, im little worry about the animation for the next episode after I watch the preview. Hope im wrong but it seems like next episode the quali of animation get little worse.

15. Gnomishness

Gnomishness

Bounty Points:
    Yeah; but in this case, I don't think it's very ambiguous that Gear 4th Luffy has at least Equal Haki to Block Mochi.

If he didn't, slamming his hand into Katakuri's guard would only really hurt his hand, no matter how hard he punched. not to mention the words: "even against your iron tight armament defense, Gear 4th won't lose".

With a sentence like that, Luffy would either be talking about Defenses, despite Gear 4th's own defense being irrelevant at the point, or talking about Armament, which they were directly clash and both of which would be relevant.

Sawyer, Hakipotence and Quindale22 like this.
  16. rayanOO

rayanOO

Bounty Points:
    Good episode overall but very very bad move from Toei part to use Culverin this early in the fight. It was useless here and makes his future use less powerful. The fact that Katakuri already saw this move contradicts the panels when he see it again and understands it.

And we don't really see a difference in power between Leo Bazooka and Kong gun or Rhino Schneider, Leo Bazooka is normally more powerful.

But except that it was good : I like the Chikara mochi design, the flip was well done and it is always good to learn more about how Katakuri's powers work.

Puck_Owns_All likes this.
  17. D Sanji

D Sanji

Bounty Points:
    Really great episode. Loved the Luffy vs Katakuri stuff more than I did in the manga. Probably cause Toei adds those filler scenes that makes the fight make more sense. Also we are starting to see the rise of MVP Oven Sama, can't wait to see more of his shit animated. Also loved the Sanji scene, definetly gave me VC vibes from that. I predict one episode from the next, we will see the infamous Sanji kicks Oven. I beg you Toei to not screw it up like the jellybean shot.
    --- Double Post Merged, Oct 14, 2018, Original Post Date: Oct 14, 2018 ---
    G4 doesn't increase haki smh. It just makes his haki attacks stronger because it improves his overall base strength.

18. Lordpalang

Lordpalang

Bounty Points:
    Great episode. Luffy vs katakuri is very good animated but it would have been better if they used another technique instead of culverin but anyway i hope they continue doing this and don't fuck up this battle like they did Vs DD and cracker.

P.s
    The scene that katakuri hits his head i heard sound effect for bones cracking did he actually broke his neck, skull or some shit?

19. SanjiKun

SanjiKun

Bounty Points:
    No. He overwhelmed Boa sisters who were using CoA and he wasn't, in the same way. It only hurts his hand when it doesn't have enough power.

As I've mentioned previously, you can overcome strong CoA with power, and strong CoO with speed. That also works vice-versa.

20. Gnomishness

Gnomishness

Bounty Points:
    Gear 4th keeps his body Rubbery despite being covered in Armament.

At very least, the haki used within it is fundamentally different from the Armament haki he usually uses.
    He did push them back, but that wasn't what I was referring to.
    This part is what makes no sense. As we see multiple times, Luffy's hand throbs painfully and visibly every time he hits into Katakuri's armament, much like somebody's hand would hurt from slamming it into a steel wall.

The solution to not hurt your hand punching the steel wall would be to put on steel gloves on yourself. If all you're doing is punching the steel-wall harder, even if you break it, it's still just going to hurt your hand more, and even if you push the steel wall back, it will still remain undented; at least until the point that your hand bleeds.

Even if Gear 4th doesn't give Luffy a stronger Armament Haki, and his maintaining rubberiness despite Armament is something else, that is still essentially more powerful Armament Haki; It wouldn't be due to raw strength.
    Yeah; but that doesn't mean that's always the best explanation for what happened.

Hakipotence likes this.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice