One Piece Manga One Piece Rewind: Top 10 Manga Moments of 2017

Discussion in 'The Books Of Ohara' started by Takt, Mar 17, 2018.

Share This Page

1. Takt

Takt Roger Big Mom Cracker Katakuri

Bounty Points:
    MainBanner.png

Hello, Oro Jackson crew members! I know, I know...what took you so long? Well, like past years, there was just a minor civil war caused by @Divvens insistence on including Koala in this Top 10. But that doesn't matter. What matters is, it's that time again! We will be featuring the Top 10 One Piece Moments of 2017. I have ousted the overlady @Neko in order to rule this event (primarily because she couldn't be bothered with catching up). :kappa:

Here at Oro Jackson, we like to review the previous year to see how far the One Piece story has gone and remind everyone of the amazing events that have happened. We’re sharing the top 10 moments from 2017 (chapters 851 to 890), so let’s go back to the past together and examine One Piece in 2017!

smallpe1.png Number 10: The Grandfather
    sep1.png

10.png
    We first saw him as a weird head in the ground. We last saw him through teary eyes and holes in our hearts. When his daughter Chiffon was in danger, Pound, as powerless as he was, sprung into action with zero hesitation. With a little help from Sanji, he held off Charlotte Oven so his daughter could escape. And she didn't even recognize him. That is true sacrifice, risking your live for those you love, even if they don't know you. I'm crying as I write this, damn it, Oda!

“I'm sure you've had rough days, and sad days. I'm sorry I couldn't be by your side then, Chiffon. I'm ever so late, but I still want to say...Congratulations on your marriage! ”

- Pound
    We've seen sacrifices on One Piece before. We've seen impactful deaths on One Piece before. But we've never seen a Grandfather do what Pound did. In his last moments, as he drove us to sadness, it was utterly joyous to see that his baby grandson knew who he was: The Great Pound, former Head-in-the-Ground but forever a Legendary Grandfather.

10.png

smallpe1.png Number 09: Back to the Future Sight
    sep1.png

09.png
    “He trained his observation Haki so much that apparently he can see a bit into the future...”
    - Capone
    When it was introduced, observation haki looks like it was kind of useless. So you can see your opponent's next move coming? So what? Katakuri, that's what. Charlotte Katakuri was introduced as a guy who didn't just know what was going to happen 1 second into the future. He knew how entire conversations would play out! He knew Sanji would dodge the bullet aimed at him. He knew Luffy would burst out of the cake. Hell, he knew what Luffy would do at every single step in their fight! Due to this ability, Katakuri became Luffy's most difficult opponent so far. Even as a reader, it was frustrating just to witness the fight, imagine Luffy being in it.

Imagine being so good at Observation Haki that you can fool everyone into thinking you were a Logia because of how quickly you adjusted your body. Future Sight and the way Katakuri used it along with his Mochi-Mochi-no-mi made a whole new ball game out of haki-devil fruit combinations. They also completely blurred the lines between what we would call Logia and Paramecia. Can any Paramecia become a Logia if their observation haki is good enough? Who knows...at least now that possibility was opened up in the future, thanks to Katakuri.

9.png

smallpe1.png Number 08: Daifuku and Genie: Curse of the Were-Rabbit
    sep1.png

08.png
    Character transformations are nothing new in One Piece. You've got EPIC Zoan forms like Lucci and Jack. And...and then there's...Chopper. Ahem.

And then came Carrot. Just as we were questioning what she had actually done throughout the arc, Carrot turns out to be the Ace in the Hole! She looks at the moon, her eyes turn red and she becomes...quite...um...attractive. But! Importantly, she goes APESHIT on a ship, lighting it up with her electric moves. In fact, she was so effective that Daifuku's Genie, while trying to stop her, ended up helping her! One by one, ship by ship, she whittled down the fleet to the point where the Straw Hats no longer had an obstacle in front of them.

“For you too! I will fight, Pedro!”
    - Carrot

It was a perfect tribute to Pedro that Carrot was trained in this form by him and that his death spurred her to action was truly breathtaking story telling. I think we can all agree, we will be seeing more of the Sulong form and the mythology behind it and the "feral past" of the Mink tribe. No doubt, we will also be seeing more of Carrot in the future too. :D

8.png

smallpe1.png Number 07: The Hateful Eight
    sep1.png

07.png
    Unlikely alliances are a running theme in the New World so far. Law and Luffy formed an alliance early into their adventures. Kid, Hawkins and Apoo followed suit (that ended well, didn't it? :kappa:). On Whole Cake Island, an alliance was formed between the Straw Hats, Capone and Caesar. The Good, The Bad and The Ugly. Driven by the necessity to take care of Big Mom, Capone devised a plan to use Caesar's scientific mind and Luffy's incredibly distracting yells to devise a plan to assassinate a Yonkou.

I repeat. They made a plan to assassinate a Yonkou. It's surprising that Capone's massive balls could fit in his castle. But his castle is his body so can his body contain his balls? I'm...I'm dwelling on this too long.

“As soon as we each reach our respective ships, this alliance is off! We hightail it out of Big Mom's territory, every man for himself!”
    - Capone

The moment itself is a tremendous progression for Capone's character, showing how devious, ruthless and opportunistic he can really be. In the future, it's quite clear that pirates are going to have to form alliances in order to take Yonkou down. This moment is clear foreshadowing of that.

Of course, this being a Yonkou, he did get capwned in the end. But hey it's the thought that counts...:kappa:

7.png
    smallpe1.png Number 06: Beauty and the Beast
    sep1.png

06.png
    Brook called Big Mom a Young Lady. I'm done.

What else do you want me to write? Brook faced down Prometheus AND Zeus. The whole room was on fire, his skull was cracked and a Yonko was mocking his resolve. But he never budged. Not for a moment. He protected the poneglyph copy that he had obtained, he defended Sanji's honour and he taught Big Mom a thing or two about resilience.

“Young Lady...What kind of fool would ever plan to die?!

– Brook
    Brook was defeated swiftly but it is the idea that a mere side character pirate would stand up to one of the strongest characters we have ever seen...that makes this moment such a stand out. And besides, who else can boast that they've slept with Big Mom.

A...a lot of people...actually...forget I said that.

6.png
    smallpe1.png Number 05: Suicide Squad
    sep1.png

05.png
    PEDROOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!! WHYYYYYYYYYYY!

The Straw Hats were running to the Sunny to escape from Big Mom, only to find Perospero and Katakuri on Sunny! To make matters worse, Perospero was making Brook and Chopper into Candymen (he then threatens to lick Chopper...but that's a separate discussion). As they tried to make the ship fart them out of this pinch, Perospero candy-fied the ship and the surrounding ocean, trapping everyone in place.

“Good Riddance!

– Pedro

Everyone, except Pedro. Pedro threw himself at Perospero, drew him in because he got cocky. And then...

And then...

You know, perhaps Pedro's sacrifice is not so much sad as it is expected. We knew his lifespan was drawing to a close because of Big Mom. He had already survived another bombing attempt on Lord Chicken. Maybe...it was expected...maybe it was for the best.

AND MAYBE THE ONION CUTTING NINJAS IN THIS DUSTY ROOM NEED TO FUCK OFF! ;(;(;(

Pedro died for his belief in the Straw Hats and their future. Now every step the Straw Hats take will be infused with his belief and his sacrifice. Farewell, Pedro...you and Brook made the best team. You'll be missed.

5.png
    smallpe1.png Number 04: Sanjiman-Homecoming
    sep1.png

04.png
    A broken, hungry and shriveled Luffy waiting at the "spot" for "Thandi" to return. And return he did, with a box of bento which would probably not be eaten by anyone except Luffy.

“I dropped it on the way...and it got all messed up. It even got rain on it...what a failure of a meal. Am I right?

– Sanji

Luffy eats and loves the meal, similar to the first time he ate food cooked by Sanji. He then stands his ground, demanding Sanji to return. Sanji has other plans though. He had a heavy burden on his shoulders. He also feared for the safety of his father-figure Zeff. So, he rejected Luffy. And well... we all know how Luffy deals with rejection.

“Mmmm...DELICIOUS!

– Luffy

Sanji received a punch to the face, after which he speaks out the truth: that he wishes to return to Sunny: to his "home." Now we know why Garp would rain down punches on Luffy as a kid, punches push people to tell the truth! An emotional reunion, a strategic break to eat and reenergize, Sanji finally speaking out the truth and a smile to end it all. REUNITED!

4.png
    smallpe1.png Number 03: Wedding Crashers
    sep1.png

03.png
    “BIIIIIIIIG MOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOM!!!!!!
    – Luffy

The best things in One Piece often start or end with a piercing scream from Luffy. Or, in this case, many many many Luffys (or is it Luffies?). In one of his very rare brainwaves, Luffy decided to install a mirror in Big Mom's cake and told Brulee to make tens of animal clones of himself. He nearly slept through the signal too. But as usual, no problem is too big for meat :kappa:. Luffy woke up, heard the gunshot from the wedding and burst upon the scene.

Then all hell broke lose. The cake that Big Mom had been looking forward to. The cake that Struesen carefully crafted. The cake that was the centrepiece of a beautiful wedding/murder! Yeah, that cake...that cake was destroyed (and eaten) by many many Luffys. And then there was loads of white stuff everywhere :kappa:.

And thus the wedding was crashed but the damage had already been done. Pudding's heart had already been stolen by Sanji's...appreciation of her third eye (what?!). But all is fair in spontaneous love and war against Yonkos.

The crash also led to another example of Big Mom's devil fruit power as she asked the terrified chefs, "Life or Wedding Cake". Listen, when the mother-in-law at a wedding asks you this question...running is pointless. Accept your fate. :vonFlame: Ahem. Anyway. The Wedding Crashers provided Capone with the perfect platform to setup his plan.

The moment also led to our number 2. Hold onto your seahorses everyone.

3.png
    smallpe1.png Number 02: Jinberella
    sep1.png
    02.png
    Jinbei for Nakama has been an official foregone conclusion for the best part of 260 years (approximately). But he's always been held back by his affiliation with the Big Mom pirates. Well, not anymore.

As Luffy is trapped by Katakuri, Jinbei uses his Ryuzen Hispondai (if you get the reference ;) you're an OG) to get him out of a sticky situation. Despite just openly betraying a Yonko, my man IS AS COOL AS FUCKING ICE CUBE. She's all like "This is mutiny right?" and he's all like "This isn't mutiny, I'm quitting your organization". Talk about watering down your intentions. I want Jinbei to represent me someday:

Prosecutor: "But your honour, Takt had no reason to slap @Divvens in the head 73 times. It had to be considered hostile." Jinbei: "Please do not think of it that way! He was simply relocating kinetic energy from his hand to @Divvens face".

Ahem. Anyway. Jinbei is forced to make the same choice as the poor chefs before. Stay or Life. In exchange for letting everyone go, Jinbei chooses Life. ;( BUT PLOT TWIST! JINBEI "COOL FUCKING CUCUMBER" FISHMAN FEELS NO FEAR. So Big Mom couldn't take any life out of my man. :rage: But why did he not have any fear?

“There's no way a man that intends to join the crew of the future Pirate King will cower at a MERE YONKO!

– Jinbei "Balls of Steel" Fishman

And as if that insult wasn't enough! He then tries to compensate for his life by offering Big Mom sake. Jinbei the fucking savage. :lmao: Big Mom's having none of it of course...but by that time, Brook (the only useful person in this entire arc) had done his duty.

The picture was shattered...and Moment No.1 came to be. There was only ever 1 thing that could top Jinbei's speech. And here it is.

2.png

smallpe1.png Number 01: Cannibal Rising
    sep1.png

01.png
    Our first ever Yonko flashback was, in different ways, memorable, insane and horrifying. Big Mom started off a monster. At the age of 5, she was gigantic and impossible to handle. So her parents left her on Elbaf, thinking she would fit right in. She eventually found Caramel, a miracle worker (?) on Elbaf who took in orphans who had been abandoned similarly.

Big Mom was excited by her surroundings. Finally everything was fit for her size. But the first indications of her true strength was shown when she was able to punch a bear to death with 1 hit. As a child. What was remarkable about this flashback was that Linlin herself didn't think she was a monster. She had the absolute best of intentions (if a little naive). She would try to fix the long-leg tribe kid's long limbs. She would try to fix a fishman child's fins because they didn't look human with it.

Then came the winter solstice...oh dear. Linlin couldn't fast for 12 days without losing her mind with hunger. So, having tasted the delicious dessert Semla, she decided to go raid the giant village for it. And that was that...a 5 year old child brought a Giant village to its knees. One of the oldest Giant warriors, Lord Yorle, confronted Linlin in order to stop her. But that wasn't enough. With 1 move she disarmed him and with another, she threw him to the ground. A 5 year-old defeated one of the great giant warriors of Elbaf. Yorle died shortly after. Caramel then made Prometheus (even though it wasn't called that at the time). For that miracle, she was allowed to take Linlin away. What a mistake that was, Lord Yarle.

Caramel, the Mother of Miracles, was not what she seemed, however. She was a child trafficker, known as the Mountain Witch. Well, she got what was coming to her. But the children...oh the children...;(;(;(.

Linlin, on her 6th Birthday, ate some semla. And when the semla was finished...she kept eating. She. Kept. Eating. Until nothing was left. :catcry:

Even as I write this...there are few words to truly describe how unexpected, disconcerting and truly horrifying the conclusion of the flashback was. It made us somewhat sympathize with Big Mom. She's a freak of nature but a well-meaning freak of nature. She wants the world to be equal and fair so everyone can sit and eat at the same table as equals. Isn't that what we all want? Minus the cannibalism...insulting of your own kids and generally killing anyone who doesn't agree with you.

“I'm going to make a country that will make Mother happy.

– Charlotte "Big Mom" Linlin
    1.png

Last edited: Mar 17, 2018
  2. Takt

Bounty Points:
    [​IMG] Close But No Cigar: 8 Additional Moments That Just Didn't Make The Cut (Yes, 8...bite me)
    [​IMG]
    1. A Dog with a Sweet Tooth [Chapter 883 | Merienda - The REAL face behind Katakuri's inscrutable exterior.]
    2. A Mother of a Fight [Chapter 890 | Without the Monster Trio, the Straw Hats still drove Big Mom off!]
    3. I am (Not) Your Father [Chapter 870 | He was barely a father! Sanji forces Judge to disown him.]
    4. WHAT'S IN THE BOOOOXX?!! [Chapter 871 & 872 | Tamatebako explodes! Assassination Plan in Shambles! The Chateau falls!]
    5. When a Fishman Takes a Ship, Run. [Chapter 880 & 881 | With a giant wave upon them, Jinbei takes the helm!]
    6. Agent Double-0...0 She's revealed! [Chapter 871 | Cipher Pol Aegis 0 Stussy!]
    7. Iron Man 3: House Party Protocol [Chapter 869 | Germa 66 Assemble!]
    8. The Rogue's Gallery Gathers [Chapter 860| The Underworld Arrive! Big News!]

[​IMG]END: And That's A Wrap!
    [​IMG]
    We hope you enjoyed our One Piece Rewind 2017! Make sure to share this article with your fellow One Piece fans! Make sure to breathe! JUST MAKE SURE TO BREATHE FOR GOD'S SAKE! IT'S IMPORTANT, OKAY?! *breathes heavily*

Previous Rewinds: One Piece Rewind 2013 | One Piece Rewind 2014 | One Piece Rewind 2015 | One Piece Rewind 2016

This article was written by @Takt with images made by @Divvens and @Larsi. Huge thanks to @hebilea, @Kyros, @Chris Mic, @Treacle, @Pratham and @Recoilation for researching and compiling the list. Credit to @Larsi for the cinematic titles. One Piece Rewind 2017 was brought to you by Team Oro Jackson. So long, farewell, live long and prosper!

And remember! This is the Team's Top 10. What is your personal list? Tell us down below.

Also remember, remember the 5th of November, the gunpowder, the treas--- NO! *@Takt rebooting...*

Remember, the Character of the Year 2017 is coming up! Stay tuned! :D

3. Echi

Echi Katakuri

Bounty Points:
    2017 was a hard year, at least for us Kata fans. :FeelsBadMan:

Cpt., Ryan, CodeBreaker and 13 others like this.
  4. Kaiser

Kaiser Wanted! Wanted Big Mom Katakuri Smoothie

Bounty Points:
    The puns! Oh the puns! I love it! :lmao: :tearsofjoy:

5. Nadeshiko

Nadeshiko

Bounty Points:
    That Hannibal thingy… I almost forget how cute and young Linlin actually ate (or not) those people… :fearscream::fearscream:

And a nice list that was, thank you for sharing ٩(๑´0`๑)۶

6. MasterD

MasterD

Bounty Points:
    "017 made me a furry damn that bunny is sexy ahahaha
    also shoudn't brook be the beauty ?

7. Reborn

Reborn

Bounty Points:
    Great list:)

2017-18 Year of Brook and Bege

Syed, SMILE, Takt and 2 others like this.
  8. Portgas D. Xatch

Portgas D. Xatch Big Mom

Bounty Points:
    Pretty epic, agree with most all of it

Cpt., Tartan Owl, Syed and 2 others like this.
  9. Udell

Udell

Bounty Points:
    Interesting moment for number 1. The list is solid but the order is off for me. Especially that number 1.

Death72, Ryan, Echi and 3 others like this.
  10. Portgas D. Xatch

Portgas D. Xatch Big Mom

Bounty Points:
    No germa in the top 10

11. Mr. Kishido

Mr. Kishido

Bounty Points:
    The Year of Katakuri , 2017 :feelscryingman: he's still the only contender for same award this year btw :feelscryingman:
    We got so many great chapters but the one and only outstanding character remains KATAKURI :steef:

Cpt., Ban Midou, Atari Willow and 6 others like this.
  12. Dave

Dave

Bounty Points:
    LMFAO no offense but memes took the show for me i m stealing sanji meme for my next sig if u dont mind @Takt dK9mDmD.gif

13. Larsi

Larsi Silver Hair Wanted Roger

Bounty Points:
    Hells yeah. They were fun creating.

Heres one that didn't make it
    chocolate factory.png

Cpt., Munshi, salx37 and 13 others like this.
  14. Takt

Bounty Points:
    All @Larsi's amazing work. :D

Cpt., Neko, Tartan Owl and 3 others like this.
  15. Ziosa

Ziosa

Bounty Points:
    i feel like there is a moment missing; brook destroying the picture of mother caramel

but great list nonetheless

16. Ninety Eyes

Ninety Eyes

Bounty Points:
    Who knew that a base-breaking arc like WCI could spawn so many magnificent moments? Nice work on the list, I especially loved the artistic puns and use of graphics.

At least you had it easy compared to Smoothie and Sanji's fans.

Echi likes this.
  17. Kaiser

Kaiser Wanted! Wanted Big Mom Katakuri Smoothie

Bounty Points:
    Nice work with "Sanjiman-Homecoming", @Larsi.
    I really can't think of a more fitting movie title :lmao:

Tartan Owl, Syed, greenbeard and 2 others like this.
  18. Takt

Bounty Points:
    There's a reason we had 8 moments that were close to making it (rather than the usual 5/6)...Germa was one of those that could have made it but just didn't at the end of the day. :(

But hey, this is our list... Germa probably makes a lot of people's lists. :D

dizzy2341, Tartan Owl, Syed and 2 others like this.
  19. Hisoka_05

Hisoka_05

Bounty Points:
    2018 not 2017....in 2017 everything was super GOOD even the first 2 month of 2018 but March was and still so lame !!

20. Nadeshiko

Nadeshiko

Bounty Points:
    You failed my expectation Larsi-kun, that one should easily reach the big 3~ You can't just ignore the big man and his sweets alright~ :persevere:

Syed and Ninety Eyes like this.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice