One Piece Manga One Piece Rewind: Top 10 Manga Moments Of 2016

Discussion in 'The Books Of Ohara' started by Neko, Jan 7, 2017.

Share This Page

1. Neko

Neko

Bounty Points:
    MainBanner (1).png
    Colored by @poutanko

Hello, Oro Jackson crew members! It’s that time again where we feature the Top 10 One Piece Moments, so I welcome you to this magnificent event. I, Neko, will be taking over Rewind 2016. One step closer to taking over OJ :cool:

Here at Oro Jackson, we like to review the previous year to see how far the One Piece story has gone and remind everyone of the amazing events that have happened. We’re sharing the top 10 moments from 2016 (chapters 812 to 850), so let’s go back to the past together and examine One Piece in 2016!

10a.png
    smallpe1.png Number 10: Hell Awaits the Worst Generation, Kaido's Challenge!
    sep1.png
    Although Kaido’s drunk personality and ruthless actions in the “Little Pirate Games” chapter (824) were quite entertaining and revealing (about his true nature), his comment to Eustass Kid was incredibly eye-opening, and it definitely set the tone for the New World.

“Oi, tell ‘em... Go on, tell ‘em! ‘You idiots better run... ‘cuz up until now, you’ve simply been playing little pirate games! Eustass Captain Kid!”
    - Kaido
    We’ve seen how ruthless both Big Mom and Kaido are, but we don’t know the extent of their power. We’ve simply seen a sample of it, and that has brought up questions and doubts about the Worst Generation pirates and One Piece’s main character, Luffy. Are the Worst Generation pirates taking it too easy? Just how influential and powerful are the Yonko? If Kaido could knock out Eustass Kid like that... well, let’s just say Oda’s not showing us everything upfront for a reason.

09 (1).png
    smallpe1.png Number 09: An Elephant's Understanding Wallops a Ferocious Mammoth
    sep1.png
    Zunisha is one of the biggest revelations of this year, and finding out that she has a ‘voice,’ is a traveling island, and can wipe out Jack’s fleet just adds to the mystery and epicness of this 1,000-year-old elephant. When Zunisha was being attacked by Jack’s fleet, Zunisha revealed that Zou committed a crime long ago and was sentenced to walk forever and to only follow commands from someone else; she cannot act on her own will, but she can speak through her ‘voice.’ Thanks to Momo’s order to take out Jack’s ships, Zunisha had a chance to show her monstrous strength, sinking Jack and his crew with one swoop of her trunk.

Zou Arc has revealed some key information about the Void Century and the world’s history, still hidden from the public and a main part of One Piece. We already know about the Road Poneglyphs, but more mysteries add up since we find out that Zuniesha did something drastic enough to be called a crime, forcing it to walk for all eternity. It’s only the beginning, though!

Let’s hope Momo finds out what Zunisha knows. For a clearly intelligent elephant, Zunisha must know quite a bit about the world and its past, especially since she must have lived during the Void Century. This was one of the most memorable moments in 2016 because of the historical revelations on Zou and what Zunisha revealed as well as Zunisha instantly defeating a Yonko’s underling who has a one billion berry bounty!

08 (1).png
    smallpe1.png Number 08: The Strawhats are Jammed! A Cracking Battle Ensues!
    sep1.png
    Let’s get cracking on the next top One Piece moment in 2016! Luffy fought and defeated Cracker, one of the three commanders in Big Mom’s family/crew. It was a stunning performance... especially when Luffy was overstuffed with biscuits. (Though I’d have to argue that Fat Usopp was just a bit better than Fat Luffy.)

While Luffy and Cracker are battling, Nami runs away from the battle and encounters Brulee instead. Brulee reveals that Apoo, Kid, Capone, and Urouge have all tried to enter Big Mom’s territory, and mentions that Urouge was the only one who managed to defeat a commander. UROUGEEEEE HYPEEEEEEEE TRAINNNNNNN!!!! I’m one of the One Piece fans who didn’t believe in Urouge, and I’m sure 99% of you guys were the same. I totally didn’t see that happening, and I definitely underestimated Urouge. I wonder how strong he got? I’m excited to see how he is in combat, more so than the other Worst Generation pirates. /hypetalk

07 (1).png
    smallpe1.png Number 07: Soulo Concerto Ft. Edgy Cattitude
    sep1.png
    BEST. BROMANCE. EVER! More so than @Divvens and @Freeze’s bromance and @Recoilation and @Ruffles romance. Yes, romance. It’s upgraded. ANYWAY.

PEDRO AND BROOK, THE ULTIMATE TAG TEAM IN THIS ARC!!! These two are the manliest of men, and I love that Oda showed them together, formulating a plan to get a copy of the Poneglyph. From the start of the arc, when the Straw Hats were separated, Pedro and Brook have been together until their ultimate plan came together in Chapter 846.

We get to meet another one of Big Mom's top brass members as Sweet Commander Smoothie comes in to protect the room with Tamago. Up against powerful opponents, it looks like Pedro and Brook are in a pickle. Still, they went on with their plan. Pedro succeeded in drawing out Smoothie, Tamago, and most of the guards, giving Brook a chance to get into the treasure room without much of a hassle. We get to see Brook in his Soul King mode, and it was... BEAUTIFULLLLL! Brook’s soul against Big Mom’s minions who have weak/false souls in them... yeah, I just... I wasn’t even expecting Brook to rock this much, but it all makes sense cos he’s... THE SOULLLLLLL KIIINNNGGGGG!!!

“They call me... the Soul King! It only makes sense that souls merely cast in the wrong bodies like yours have not a chance of standing up against... the obstinate nature of my screaming soul!!!”
    – Brook
    Not only did Brook show his badass screaming soul and had his time to shine on the stage called the battlefield, but Pedro’s past was also revealed, giving us a peek at his true character. That flashback was enough to make Pedro one of the most respected characters in One Piece last year. Pedro was the captain of the Nox Pirates and went to Big Mom’s turf. This resulted in a tragic end for Pedro as he lost his partner, Zepo, and 50 years of his life. But Pedro, knowing the risks of going back into Big Mom’s territory, still went with the Straw Hats and risked his life to be the bait to draw out the treasure room security guards! On top of that... HE’S A JAGUAR MINK! More reason to love cats, people.

06 (1).png
    smallpe1.png Number 06: Shocking History From the Smokes of the Past
    sep1.png
    Several of the Straw Hats have mysterious pasts, and Sanji was one of them. Many had guessed that he was a former noble or prince, and they happened to be right! Sanji Vinsmoke, is one of quadruplets, a prince of the North Blue royal family that is known as the organization Germa 66. The Vinsmokes are typical nobles, of course, with their haughty, idiotic, and condescending attitude toward others, especially their own kin. Sanji was right to run away from them!

It seems that Big Mom’s subordinates weren’t just pursuing the Straw Hats at Dressrosa for Caesar. Bege Capone was there, too, and he personally delivered the Tea Party invitation to Sanji and revealed that Sanji’s a Vinsmoke. Pekoms (YEAH!) told the other Straw Hats about the Vinsmoke family and how they’re a line of assassins. Big Mom wanted their high-tech weapons and knowledge to boost her own power. LIKE SHE REALLY NEEDS IT.

Later on, thanks to Yonji, we discover that Judge used to work with Vegapunk and that Germa 66 organization actually clones people so that they can create an intimidating army full of men who only live to fight. We also find out that the Vinsmoke children are sort of like cyborgs and can be ‘enhanced’ to be stronger fighters or ‘modified’ physically when they’re injured. I can see why Sanji is known as one of the ‘Monster Trio.’ His lineage does add to his crazy combat skills, and we see him defeat Yonji and fight Judge quite impressively later, too. But the Vinsmokes are more than just your typical assassins. There’s much more to be revealed about them!

05 (1).png
    smallpe1.png Number 05: Be Our Guest, Be Our Guest, Put Our Homies to the Test!
    sep1.png
    Welp. Big Mom. I don’t really need to say more on this.

JUST KIDDING. Okay, there’s no way we can go on with this list without describing and (maybe exaggerating) how incredible Big Mom is as a Yonko! She’s everything a pirate is assumed to be: ruthless, selfish, violent, treacherous, and... yeah, just pirate-y. But Charlotte Linlin is more than this general definition of a pirate. She’s a freaking Yonko who has true influence that runs deeper than the trenches of the ocean floor! (Wait, are there trenches down there? I thought it sounded fancy, so I’m using it.)

Big Mom’s entrance was flashy and extravagant. She’s quite a (tea) party-er and she loves lively things, which is why everything around her, from the food to the trees, dance and sing along with her. This is due to Big Mom’s ability to manipulate souls apparently, which just adds more to her crazy Yonko profile. She can also take years away from someone’s life, even killing them in the process as we’ve seen with Zepo and Muscat (the Gelato Minister). Big Mom’s not one to be reasoned with.

Pirates are often described as monsters or crazy people and Big Mom takes the crazy to a whole ‘nother level! If she doesn’t get a specific type of dessert, she goes bonkers and even takes her own children’s souls. Some people have speculated that drugs could be causing her mental instability... or maybe she’s just that addicted to sugar and has serious withdrawal symptoms.

Big Mom also likes to collect rare and unique animals and humans in books, which is another oddity about her. The Vinsmokes even commented on her strangeness, so... yeah, that’s saying something since the Vinsmokes like to make copies of human soldiers. We're getting so much information on Big Mom's character already in this Whole Cake Island Arc! I’m excited to see what she’s like in battle!

We find out that she has many children. Each of them have different dads, so she’s been married quite often. She truly is a Big Ho... I mean, Mom, like Brook said, and her children aren’t nobodies, either! Already we’ve met several of Big Mom’s children and minions, including Sweet Commander Cracker, Sweet Commander Smoothie, Amande, Opera, Galette, and more (I WILL NEVER MENTION PUD... YEAH! :rage: ). We’ve seen some of the bounties for her children, which are quite impressive.

While we’re on the children topic, Big Mom definitely doesn’t like it when her children abandon their role and ruin her plans. When she was talking to Luffy and Nami (while they were imprisoned), she revealed that, if Lola had follow through with the wedding, she would be Pirate King already, defeating the other Yonko. Political marriages are common among Big Mom’s children, subordinates, and so-called allies like the Germa 66 organization. We find out that Big Mom doesn’t play fair and already has a plan to wipe out the Germa 66 family and steal their high-tech goods. We can see that Big Mom only uses her children for these types of alliances and truly does think the typical pirate way.

Despite all her Yonko madness, she surprisingly has a rather warm and fuzzy dream for the world: to have all races live together in peace and harmony. Is Big Mom so bad...?

Yeah, she’s bad. Just stay away from her.

04 (1).png
    smallpe1.png Number 04: Bleeding Captain, Weeping Prince
    sep1.png
    Sanji Vinsmoke arrives in a cat-arriage and sees that Nami and Luffy have followed him to come and get him. But the stakes are high... lives are on the line, and Sanji believes he’s forced to obey his biological family’s demands and Big Mom’s orders to protect his loved ones. In order to do that, Sanji goes into that damned arrogant noble mode and tells Luffy and Nami to go away ‘cause he’s too good for them and that it’s a no-brainer that he’d side with Big Mom, an empress of the sea.

Luffy, despite being a big idiot, sees right through Sanji’s lies and lets Sanji beat him up (or kick him up?). Luffy is determined to bring Sanji back and vows to go on a hunger strike and stay in the same spot he and Sanji fought in. Now, for a food-eating machine like Luffy, that’s a pretty big deal. He won’t eat a thing unless it’s made by Sanji, and he’s already said that he can’t become Pirate King if Sanji isn’t his chef.

This is completely different from the fight between Luffy and Usopp during the Water 7/Enies Lobby Arc. Luffy didn’t fight back. He was determined to get Sanji back and not let him go. Though both fights had completely different reasoning, this really showed the depth of Luffy and Sanji’s friendship and Luffy’s growth (in maturity especially) over the past two years.

Unfortunately, Luffy got taken away by Big Mom’s “Enraged Army,” so we’ll see how Luffy and Sanji reunite!

03 (1).png
    smallpe1.png Number 03: When It Rains, It Pours - Pudding a Dagger Through His Heart
    sep1.png
    Ugh... do I really have to write this one... :rage: Okay, I’ll write this one just for you guys...! And because Divvens threatened to feed me his biryani if I don’t do this, so I’m definitely avoiding that at all costs.

Pudding ( :rage: !!) entered the scene as a seemingly sweet young lady who had a genuine interest/liking toward Sanji. She acted like an ally to the Straw Hats that were on Whole Cake Island, even saying that she’d help them meet Sanji. But, of course, being the bit...ter pudding she is, she faked it all and revealed that she was a fantastic actress; only her family knows her true nature. Pedro, who has a rather pragmatic-type humor, said that Pudding should be taken hostage basically since she’s part of Big Mom’s crew. Many One Piece fans brushed it off as Pedro being funny, but he had a freakin’ point! And he had past experience with Big Mom, so he knows how deceitful these ho...hohos are!!

You know, looking back, there were certain parts of the story that didn’t add up. First of all, why would Big Mom’s child, while on Big Mom’s territory, even try to help the Straw Hats? Big Mom has eyes (and souls) on every corner of her island, so there’s no way Pudding would have truly helped the Straw Hats out. Grr, it was all a trap! Poor Sanji was heartbroken because he completely believed Pudding’s words and kindness. (I was fooled, too, which is why I’m :rage: ).

Pudding is supposedly the one who attacked Reiju. Pudding reveals not only her true nature, but also Big Mom’s plans to annihilate the Vinsmokes at the wedding/tea party the next day! Big Mom’s true intentions have been uncovered. Man, we’re just getting revelation after revelation with every chapter. Pudding is quite confident in telling Reiju all this. I was actually wondering why Pudding would do that because Reiju can alert her family, right?!

But Sanji totally heard everything.

And Pudding told Luffy and Nami about the real plans to kill the Vinsmokes, including Sanji.

Maybe that’s the real ray of hope! The Straw Hats knowing the truth! Just like Chapter 850 was titled! Aw, yeah. Now we just wait and see how everything will play out. I’m sure Pudding didn’t expect Sanji to overhear her conversation with Reiju, so I wonder if that will be to Sanji’s advantage. We’re up against a Yonko’s crew, though, so... we’ll have to see.

DAMN YOU, PUDDING! :rage: I’m stabbing every pudding cup or bowl someone places in front of me.

02 (1).png
    smallpe1.png Number 02: Get Stoned!
    sep1.png
    Information on Raftel was revealed while the Straw Hats and Heart Pirates were on Zou. I wasn’t expecting such important secrets to be revealed so quickly after Luffy’s crew entered the New World! So here’s what we’ve found out so far about Raftel:

• There are a total of four Road Poneglyphs, and these Poneglyphs are different from the rest: they’re deep red in color.
    • When all four are gathered, it helps lead you to Raftel. The Road Poneglyphs don’t exactly point to Raftel according to Inuarashi, but each of them point to a certain location to help you find the final island.
    • Caponeglyph (just for the pun pls)
    Those are the basics, but for Oda to reveal these crucial facts so soon...? I wonder what he’s planning because it’s too fast for my comfort! I’m sure there will be challenges along the way to get all Road Poneglyphs. We know where three are currently: One is with the Minks, one is with Kaido, and one is with Big Mom. We don’t know where the fourth one is, and that’s going to be a whole other adventure! (Unless it's revealed that someone else has it.)

When we reached Zou, the Straw Hats that got there first (with Caesar) mentioned to the other Straw Hats that they shouldn’t mention any talk of the samurai. It seemed that the Minks were sensitive about the subject after Jack destroyed their country and nearly wiped out their race searching for a samurai. But, in the end, we find out that Wano Kuni and Zou have been allies from the get-go, which you'll see why in #1 of this list.

We also find out that Nekomamushi and Inuarashi were pirates on Gol D. Roger’s ship! They traveled with Oden (Momonosuke’s father) during the time and were best friends, too. Oda hasn’t fully revealed why the two hate each other now, but it could be due to Oden’s death.

(Well, who wants to be friends with that mangy mutt anyway! NEKOMAMUSHI ALL THE WAYYYYYYYYYY!!!!!!!!!)

01a (1).png
    smallpe1.png Number 01: A Blockhead Ninja - An Alliance Whales to Life
    sep1.png
    So... this moment... ABSOLUTELY DESERVES NUMBER ONE SPOT ON THIS LIST! After Nekomamushi :kappa:

The Minks risked their lives and their historical land to protect their friend from a great enemy (Jack the Drought). Now, I’m sure most of you (including myself) weren’t expecting this. The Straw Hats weren’t and even warned others to not mention the samurai because one samurai/ninja (Raizou) nearly annihilated an entire race of awesome furry warriors. But it turns out... Oda tricked us all!

Raizou was at Zou.

The Minks knew where he was and tried to convince Jack and his subordinates to leave.

01 (1).png

The Minks fought for days to protect Raizou from being found out.

Raizou did his I LOVE YOU Jutsu when he saw the state of the country and the Minks’ physical condition from fighting off an enemy.

True power of friendship. A single rare race that can only be found on a 1,000-year-old moving elephant were all more than ready to give up their lives to protect a single man. The Kozuki Clan and the Minks go WAYYYYY deeper than any of us imagined. And the Straw Hats’ reactions to this news... especially Franky’s... priceless!

This moment made us love the Minks even more. (Just the cat and bunny and any-ones-but-dogs Minks, though :kappa:).

2. Affiliates Guest Advertisement

3. Neko

Neko

Bounty Points:
    [​IMG] Close But No Cigar: 6 Additional Moments That Just Didn't Make The Cut
    [​IMG]
    1. How Chivalry Was Made From a Cauldron of Bullies [Chapter 840 & 841 | Sanji's Flashback - The revelation of his past after altercations with his 'Brothers']
    2. Thrifty Bobbin's Enraged Posse [Chapter 845 | The Enraged Army comes! Luffy vs the world, as Sanji embraces his 'bride'.]
    3. Sanji's Legs are Judged! [Chapter 833 | Let's take it outside - A Father and Son reunite with combat!]
    4. A World in Reverie [Chapter 823 | Reverie is on! Baltigo is in shambles! ‘A World Abuzz’ indeed.]
    5. Watering Down a Temper Tantrum; Jinbei to the Rescue! [Chapter 829 | Big Mom’s Devil Fruit Reveal and Rampage - Jinbei to the rescue!]
    6. WTF Comics! What Were They Smoking?! [Chapter 825 & 826 | WE Times Comic!? The Pink and Green Vinsmokes arrive!]

[​IMG]END: And That's A Wrap!
    [​IMG]
    We hope you enjoyed our One Piece Rewind 2016! Make sure to pet a cat today and share this article with your fellow One Piece friends!

Previous Rewinds: One Piece Rewind 2013 | One Piece Rewind 2014 | One Piece Rewind 2015

This article was written by @Neko and edited by @Divvens. Huge thanks to @Recoilation for research and providing input that helped us make this article entertaining and thanks to @Takt for the witty titles. One Piece Rewind 2016 put together thanks to Team Oro Jackson. Big Neko hug to everyone involved in creating this article! And remember, this is our top 10 list, have a list of your own? Let us know with a post below!

owl, Divij, Gintoki and 103 others like this.
  4. Affiliates Guest Advertisement

5. Sanzen

Sanzen

Bounty Points:
    Totally agree.BEST MOMENTS BY FAR :D

owl, Mikael, MidnightKingZX and 29 others like this.
  6. Soma

Soma

Bounty Points:
    The most emotional moments all come from Sanji's past and present...

owl, kaizokou17, PaperFlower and 21 others like this.
  7. Zemmi

Zemmi AweZem (˵ ゚ヮ゚˵) ♥ Wanted

Bounty Points:
    That number 1 was so epic, I instantly loved the minks :<3: Had to be hard to pick the best moments b/c there have been so many good ones.

owl, PaperFlower, Mikael and 22 others like this.
  8. Pratham

Pratham

Bounty Points:
    Lmao, best line of the post :lmao:

owl, kaizokou17, PaperFlower and 25 others like this.
  9. Soma

Soma

Bounty Points:
    This pun is 10/10!

10. El-pachineko

El-pachineko

Bounty Points:
    Sanji vs luffy is easily the no 1 for me, "i can't be a pirate king without you" first in entire series

11. Crooc

Crooc

Bounty Points:
    Zou and the Road poneglyph take the first place for me, those moments completely flipped the table.

Now that I see this the amount of information we got this year is insane.

12. Mr. Kishido

Mr. Kishido

Bounty Points:
    this is so perfect, I love it <3

although I don't agree so much with those rankings ...

Last edited: Jan 7, 2017
  13. poutanko

poutanko Vivi

Bounty Points:
    What a long list! :eek: Must be tiring to type them, please take a break and enjoy some delicious pudding ~ :custard: :kappa:

14. Kyutie Mo

Kyutie Mo

Bounty Points:
    I agree with your list completely. Nekomamushi truly is the best:kappa:

Last edited: Jan 7, 2017
  15. Telvin123

Telvin123

Bounty Points:
    Pudding being evil had me shook, but even I got to admit, nothing got to me as much as the Minks did. Honestly brought a few tears to my eyes.

owl, Narya Anima, Syed and 16 others like this.
  16. Hero Sanji

Hero Sanji Vivi

Bounty Points:
    My ranking would look differently but those moments are great!

owl, poutanko, Adimas and 17 others like this.
  17. Eustass D. Shanks

Eustass D. Shanks

Bounty Points:
    In my opinion Sanji's backstory should have been in the top 10 ,and Sanji vs Luffy top 1 ,but overall good list and really entertaining to read :D
    2016>2015

18. Divvens

Divvens Wanted! Wanted Vivi

Bounty Points:
    Please feel free to share your top 10 on this thread! Let's see what moments mattered the most for individual fans too :D

There was so much that happened last year, on a weekly basis we may not realize but as we saw the bigger picture while making this article, soooo much information and soo many things happened. It was tough to list the 10, but we went by how the fans & the community reacted to these moments and the ripples they created :D Different moments had different impact for everyone!

owl, kaizokou17, poutanko and 15 others like this.
  19. DizzyBrows

DizzyBrows

Bounty Points:
    I was sure that the Road Poneglyph stuff would be in first place, but that moment with the Minks was great as well so it does deserve the top spot.

owl, poutanko, Syed and 11 others like this.
  20. Justgalon

Justgalon

Bounty Points:
    Woooww... i agree, almost all moments in list is epic! :>

owl, poutanko, Syed and 8 others like this.
  21. Eustass D. Shanks

Eustass D. Shanks

Bounty Points:
    Everybody has different opinions and if I would put Sanji's past in the top 10 I woudnt know where :smuggrin:
    Thats how good this year was xD

owl, poutanko, Syed and 7 others like this.
  22. Cyrenz98

Cyrenz98

Bounty Points:
    Nice Best Moments of 2016!!!
    I Agree on the Rankings!!!
    A Blockhead Ninja LMAO
    Bye Bye 2016;(

owl, Foody, poutanko and 7 others like this.