One Piece on American Television: How did we get here and where do we go?

Discussion in 'One Piece News Central' started by Mr. Kishido, Mar 14, 2017.

Share This Page

1. Mr. Kishido

Mr. Kishido The Notorious Wanted

Bounty Points:
    Disclosure: I work for CNN, a subsidiary of the Turner Networks, which owns [adult swim], AKA, the place that just cancelled One Piece… again. Also, I only found out a couple of hours before you guys did, I have no real insight behind the decision, but I’ve been working in television my entire adult career so I speak from some experience.

In case you hadn’t heard the news, One Piece has once again been removed from American television. Toonami announced yesterday that March 18th will be the last night One Piece airs in it’s 2:3o AM timeslot, and it will be replaced by Tokyo Ghoul.

Whatever your thoughts on the latter show, it’s very sad for readers of our site and listeners of our podcast that One Piece will no longer be a part of the mainstream anime block. Especially since that block turns 20 years old the day before. So with this article I thought I’d try to put all of One Piece’s history on American television into perspective, and where the show goes from here.

source
    http://onepiecepodcast.com/2017/03/...ision-how-did-we-get-here-and-where-do-we-go/

Reniki, Serthhi, Kaiser and 6 others like this.
  2. Affiliates Guest Advertisement

3. Nico Robin

Nico Robin Wanted! Wanted Robin

Bounty Points:
    That was a really good article! I really wish that they would step it up with the English Dub (especially if they want to bring it back to tv), because they are quite far behind.

Kaiser, Ziosa, Nitwit and 2 others like this.
  4. StormQueen

StormQueen

Bounty Points:
    Thanks for the article!! No american tv station did One Piece justice, I never heard of it til I moved to Japan!

Kaiser, jazzyjoy92, Ziosa and 2 others like this.
  5. Phazon

Phazon

Bounty Points:
    I remember when Funimation took over the rights for One Piece from 4Kids.

I also remember Funimation going back to the beginning and dubbing the series from the start.

They COULD have just left off were 4Kids finished, but noo, they decided to actually redub the series.

In a nutshell: People will still complain about anything.

Kaiser, Nitwit, Ziosa and 1 other person like this.
  6. Calvan

Calvan

Bounty Points:
    Television as we know it is dying a slow painful death.
    I imagine in the next 20 years everything will be on demand.
    Noobody will be a slave to a schedule just to watcxh their favorite programs.

Kaiser, Nitwit and Ziosa like this.
  7. Ziosa

Ziosa Bon Chan

Bounty Points:
    Thanks for the article, an interesting read. i started with the dub but when i caught up, which was just after thriller bark, i decided to watch the sub; I streamed all the episodes never watched them on tv

Kaiser and Nitwit like this.
  8. Kaiser

Kaiser Manners Maketh Man Wanted Sanji

Bounty Points:
    That was a very good article, and a interesting read.
    Now personally, I haven't watched the Dub in years. And that was ever since I reached the (at the time) latest Dubbed episodes and moved on to the Sub. And this was some 7 or 8 years back. And it wasn't because I didn't like it. It was more because I enjoyed it more in Japanese.
    And although I didn't watch it while it was airing on Toonami, it is somewhat sad to see that they had to cancel it.

Nitwit likes this.
  9. Reniki

Reniki Vivi

Bounty Points:
    I think the anime failed in the US.
    Most of them have already watched it subbed and probably read the manga. That is probably the reason why it got replaced by Tokyo Ghoul.

Nitwit likes this.