One Piece Chapter 929: Orochi Kurozumi, Wano Country Shogun

Discussion in 'Previous Chapter Discussions' started by Guan_Yu, Dec 30, 2018.

Tags:

Share This Page

?

Rate the chapter

1. Blew my mind

116 vote(s)
    33.1%
  2. Great

168 vote(s)
    48.0%
  3. Average

54 vote(s)
    15.4%
  4. Poor

6 vote(s)
    1.7%
  5. Awful

6 vote(s)
    1.7%
  1. minions

minions

Bounty Points:
    I think drake s the one siding with the alliance, just my personal opinion, Burt I don’t see Hawkins with the necessary back bone to double cross kaido.

herasux likes this.
  2. BlackbeardPK.

BlackbeardPK.

Bounty Points:
    KoL video coming up soon:

"Orochi is Top 5"

But Hold my Beer

[​IMG]

After seeing the Man himself in action:

[​IMG]

3. Bellisario Faith

Bellisario Faith

Bounty Points:
    Hello to all, sorry for not getting around to doing chapter comparisons for the last two chapters. Both of those chapters are available to read online for free without the VIZ subscription, but that's unavailable in some regions. I'll try to be better about getting these done. Now that the chapters are released on Sundays instead of Mondays, I'm hoping that'll make things easier. Let's get to it! There are a whole bunch:
    • In general, as I've mentioned in previous comparisons and other readers have pointed out, the official translation from VIZ is, somewhat oddly, keeping quite a few terms untranslated here in the Wano arc in places where the scanlations translate them. In addition to the ones mentioned in previous chapters (examples such as keeping "tsujigiri" instead of "street-killer"/"murderer", "oiran" instead of "courtesan" (while occasionally mentioning that she's a courtesan, but using "oiran" in general convo), and "Akazaya Nine" instead of "Nine Red Scabbards"), this one also leaves in "Rakuda" for "Camel" and "Tobi Roppo" for the group of six strongest Headliners (see below for the details).
    • In VIZ, just like Mangastream, Franky answers Minatomo scolding him with "Yes, boss!" However, what Minatomo says before this makes Franky's response sound kinda hilariously defiant, even though it probably wasn't meant that way: "So you think the oiran bein' a real babe is a valid excuse for comin' to work late, Franosuke?!" "Yes, boss!" :lmao:
    • In MS, Minatomo responds to Franky saying how beautiful Komurasaki was with "I don't give a hoot!", whereas in Jaimini's Box and VIZ, he does agree with that. Afterwards, in MS, he says that there's still the matter of his "own word and honor", in JB he states that "We've got a reputation to uphold", and in VIZ, he says he still needs Franky "to respect that I'm the boss". Also, the other workers who attack Franky refer to Minatomo as their "leader" in MS and "master" in JB, but as "the foreman" in VIZ.
    • MS has Franky respond to Kobei's question of if he knows Kisegawa with "Why would we?!", which makes it sound like there's someone with him while he's running on these errands. This is not the case with JB and VIZ, which say "Of course not!"/"Why would I know her?!" Then, where the scanlations translate the name to "Camel" and have Franky do a double-take with "Camel? The animal?!", the official leaves it as the characters calling him "Rakuda", and Franky's double-take instead being "Doesn't Rakuda mean 'camel'?!"
    • When showing the location of Kin'emon and the Minks, MS and VIZ just say "Kuri an Abandoned Village" and "Ruins in Kuri" respectively. JB says "Kuri--in a certain abandoned village", implying the village may be significant in some way.
    • Tonoyasu's intro box calls him a "taiko drum carrier" in MS, a "sweet talker" in JB, and a "sycophant" in VIZ. Yasu also has a penchant for rhyming on a dime in the official version, such as "out of the blue" with "he'll lead me true", "broke as a joke", "my pluck and my luck", and "stout and tall" with "one and all".
    • The scanlations don't say what kind of gambling Zoro was engaging in (unless the word used for gambling specifies it), but in the official translation, Yasu mentioned he won with dice. Also, in the original Japanese, Zoro misnames Yasu as "Kasu", a word which, as both scanlations explain in a TN, means "trash" or "scum". The official keeps the spirit of the joke by having Zoro misname him "Assu".
    • In MS, Yasu calls Leftover Town "a little Hamlet", whereas JB and VIZ state that Leftover Town is called "Ebisu", as in, that's its official name. Then, on the next page, MS has Orochi asking CP-0 if they're sure they aren't after opening the borders, while JB and VIZ have him basically say the opposite: that they don't want the borders opened up, either, do they?
    • When Orochi notes that he's the one in a position of power now that CP-0 has to directly negotiate with him, the scanlations have them reply that, with that in mind, this is "a pretty pickle"/"quite the conundrum". In the official version, their reply is more specific, implying that Orochi has already told them what he wanted: "But your majesty...we simply can't fulfill this request!" Then MS has Orochi say that battleships were fine last time and he wants Vegapunk this time, but JB and VIZ instead have him say that he wants battleships this time but he must have Vegapunk next time.
    • When the doors to Orochi's room are opened, he says "Not a care in the world! Not a care at all!" in MS, says "Formalities won't be necessary" twice in JB, and goes with "Now this is more like it! Much more like it, indeed!" in VIZ. When seeing the geishas, he repeats "without a care in the world" in MS and "formalities won't be necessary" in JB, while in VIZ, he says "I find this all very agreeable!"
    • In the official translation, he makes a pun when saying he doesn't want the chicken: "I am not in a fowl mood tonight!"; in JB, the sake is said to be brewed by "Touji" (implying that's someone's name) while MS and VIZ just refer to him as "the master brewer"; and the fish that Orochi loves is said to be "mackerel" in MS, "salmon" in JB, and "pike" in VIZ.
    • Orochi in MS says he's been wanting to "meet" Komurasaki, implying they've never met before; in JB, he says he's "missed" her, implying they have; VIZ could be interpreted either way, but leans more towards the latter, where he says he's "waited to see" her.
    • In MS, the group of six strongest Headliners are called the "Flying Fighters"; in JB, they're called the "Flying Six", with the TN explanation that their Japanese name is the "Tobi Roppo", which is also a type of exit in Kabuki plays; VIZ leaves the term as "Tobi Roppo".
    • Hawkins's words to Drake after saying he's there in search of a particular man (most likely Law) are also a little different in each version: "I thought you have something you hunt that's more important to you than this mission, eh, Drake?" in MS; in JB, he says "You might be in for more than this mission entails, Drake"; and in VIZ, it's "This should be more than worth the reward of the mission alone, Drake."

arara, KuroKaze, Lumenai and 23 others like this.
  4. Aloe Vera

Aloe Vera Cracker Katakuri

Bounty Points:
    Thank you for this! :D

Bellisario Faith likes this.
  5. Mr. Kishido

Mr. Kishido

Bounty Points:
  6. JStackz226

JStackz226

Bounty Points:
    So basically, if Luffy defeats Kaido.. he can possibly make Wano open to takeover by the World Government
    --- Double Post Merged, Jan 9, 2019, Original Post Date: Jan 9, 2019 ---
    I know they only made it like that in the anime, but they did show Sanji going up against both Daifuku and Oven at the same time and holding his own. I'm sure he'll be fine while Law faces Hawkins.
    --- Double Post Merged, Jan 9, 2019 ---
    Basically, they only know about Law, Luffy and possibly Zoro. It's been stated that it was in their best interest to not have it be known the whole crew was there as well.

I hope Sanji gets to fight, he needs a redeeming battle. I know we're not going to make him look weak the rest of the story. Now would be a very opportune time to show him off
    Yeah basically Drake is saying why did they send us after some little shop owner. And then they wonder why even Hawkins is there. Then Page One says the more strong people the better it is in terms of deterring disobedience. Then Hawkins says he's in pursuit of someone (Law) and says this mission is probably a lot more than some random shop owner, as he is referring to facing Law. Sanji is an unkown wildcard in all of this (possibly known to Hawkins but I doubt it).
    Wow, since Kaku. Well I'd say since Ryuuma but that's like 10 years. Because We've had Sabaody, then Impel Down, then Marineford, and Fishman Island and Punk Hazard wasn't really much. We've really been starved of the old battle format for a while

Lumenai, Life is meh and Rider like this.
  7. stala_dynar

stala_dynar

Bounty Points:
    Thank you!
    I really wonder about Yasus introduction? I can understand "sweet talker" and "sycophant" as similar meanings. But where does "taiko drum carrier" come from? Or is it somehow that in japanese it means something like that too? Because of I kind of don't get that translation?

Sade, djiayebee and Bellisario Faith like this.
  8. Gintoki91

Gintoki91

Bounty Points:
    That's pretty much Oda's draft look like(2nd top pic) and the rest is fixed/cleaned up by his 10 assistants.

Rider and BlackbeardPK. like this.
  9. Rider

Rider

Bounty Points:
    As far as I am concerned it is more likely that usoop gonna deal with the Shogun lol

lone wolf and BlackbeardPK. like this.
  10. Life is meh

Life is meh

Bounty Points:
    Just realized something: Sanji, Law, Hawkins and Drake are all from North Blue :camthinking:

11. lone wolf

lone wolf

Bounty Points:
    That would be hilarious to watch haha..Usopp vs Shogun though it happens unintentionally...

12. Life is meh

Life is meh

Bounty Points:
    Yet another translation, this time from cnet128:

Hawkins: I came here in pursuit of a certain man.........!! // You'll find more spoils here than your mission suggests, Drake.

I think JB, Viz and cnet128 are all basically conveying the same thing, that there's more to this mission than expected. Mangastream's the odd one out.

Moreover, the translation note for Tobi Roppou:

TN: "Tobi-Roppou" is a famous kabuki technique, literally meaning "leaping six ways". Here it's written slightly differently, as "leaping six cells".

Last edited: Jan 12, 2019
  13. SanjiKun

SanjiKun

Bounty Points:
    Cnet128 coming in clutch. That's the best translation.

GeneralCracker and Life is meh like this.
  14. red admiral

red admiral

Bounty Points:
    who else of bored cause this chapter?

ODA! give us a new one

15. Trafalgar Rao

Trafalgar Rao

Bounty Points:
    We will get the new chapter next month don't worry

16. red admiral

red admiral

Bounty Points:
    I'm not worry ... I'm bored

IceWitch likes this.
  17. 4xdblack

4xdblack

Bounty Points:
    Anyone know when the next chapter is coming out?

18. Gintoki91

Gintoki91

Bounty Points:
    This Friday

4xdblack and Kuro Roko like this.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice