One Piece Chapter 844: Luffy vs Sanji

Discussion in 'Previous Chapter Discussions' started by Sanzen, Oct 27, 2016.

Share This Page

?

Rate the Chapter

1. Blew My Mind

313 vote(s)
    60.9%
  2. Epic

120 vote(s)
    23.3%
  3. Great

34 vote(s)
    6.6%
  4. Good

30 vote(s)
    5.8%
  5. Meh

17 vote(s)
    3.3%
  1. caesar lover

caesar lover

Bounty Points:
    i have a question if luffy starves himself how is he going to fight since all his energy comes from food?

2. Affiliates Guest Advertisement

3. AlexAngely

AlexAngely

Bounty Points:
    Japanese... Did you ever think why Nami's character is way more popular in Japan than in western?
    I'd say, she is surprisingly popular for non-fighter character in a title that is all about fighting.
    No, it isn't for boobs, the bigger her boobs got the less popular she became.

My belief, Japanese readers understand her character way better than western readers. My belief, they can see all these clues, how Oda year after year was building up her qualities, such as kindheartedness, forgiveness and emotionalism (Skypiea (Sanji), W-7 (Usopp), post-EL (Usopp), TB(Lola), FI(Jinbe, Octopus), PH(Children), Momonosuke (through several arcs)). And since it is japan we are talking about, they value such things a lot.

Oda spent a great deal of time displaying her as soft and kind person inside (tho "bitchy" and "bossy" outside - Japanese love this combination).

Now, given circumstances, how Nami was personally interested to go after Sanji, and gravity of matters on hands, they expected her to give maximum of these qualities they love her for.

But instead, not only her emotions didn't reach half of what she gave in W-7, her kindheartedness and forgiveness are in serious doubt after this chapter.

Disconnect between expectations and actuality is so huge, it can't be simply written off for a plot call. That is why I think they gonna protest.

This all is my personal opinion.

Last edited: Oct 27, 2016
  4. Jinbe90

Jinbe90

Bounty Points:
    Now it is time: Jinbe + Sanji tag team will plan something

5. Fushicho Marco

Fushicho Marco

Bounty Points:
    It's because they ship Sanji and Nami and now Nami took Luffy's side. :lmao::lmao::lmao::lmao:

6. The Cat Burglar

The Cat Burglar

Bounty Points:
    I have the impression I'm the only one that did not cry or something lol

7. Cuistot

Cuistot

Bounty Points:
    Smh i saw some people complain on several other forums that Sanji couldn't even take down a weakened Luffy and that he doesn't belong in the M3 etc.

Honestly these people should just stop reading/watching One Piece. Like right now.

8. AlexAngely

AlexAngely

Bounty Points:
    Nami didn't take Luffy's side. Luffy's side was with Sanji. It wasn't Sanji vs Luffy - it was Sanji and Luffy vs Separation.
    Nami sided with separation - against both Sanji and Luffy.
    I see it this way unfortunately

9. Fushicho Marco

Fushicho Marco

Bounty Points:
    https://mangastream.com/r/one_piece/844/3760/13 " we'll leave".... Luffys security more important than sanji's .. imo :)

10. TheSurgeon07

TheSurgeon07

Bounty Points:
    I don't think nami slapped Sanji because he was attacking Luffy specifically, although it's part of it. Nami isn't a second Zoro or even acting protective of Luffy. Nami has always been like this in situation where things stand on a stalemate between crew-members. It's just how she is and how she has always responded with emotional situation.

AshuraTensei and LuffyZi like this.
  11. AlexAngely

AlexAngely

Bounty Points:
    But Luffy didn't want to leave!
    If anything, she helped Sanji to break up, and was in Luffy's way to keep him.

12. Holy Earlobes of GOD!!

Holy Earlobes of GOD!!

Bounty Points:
    As far as I'm concerned, this is one of those moments where no one was really wrong or right.

People think Nami failed to understand the motivation behind Sanji's actions. She didn't.
    She understood what was going on but felt Sanji took things too far (which is understandable). People may not think of Nami as pridefull but she is. She takes great pride in her crew and captain and hates to see them disrespected.

Celestial Cat, Syed, Treacle and 9 others like this.
  13. AlexAngely

AlexAngely

Bounty Points:
    It is also remarkable for Oda to display Sanji crying after Luffy's words, not after Nami's (tho her words were way more harsh).
    Oda couldn't possibly portray Nami's insignificance any louder.

14. Emperors Tier

Emperors Tier

Bounty Points:
    The first kick from Sanji broke Luffy's tooth !![​IMG]

Fushicho Marco likes this.
  15. Fushicho Marco

Fushicho Marco

Bounty Points:
    then why the slap if she wanted to do sanji a favor and to leave to make his separation easier? xD

16. Hero Garp

Hero Garp

Bounty Points:
    Nami slapped Sanji and said "farewell, forgive me about the heavy handed approach" to show her utter disgust at his heavy handed farewell. It's about as scathing as we've ever seen her.

Treacle, Cpt-Luffy, VTaichi and 4 others like this.
  17. Escanor

Escanor

Bounty Points:
    Luffy is the captain and the main character, it's make sense, no? Did you expect the chapter to be about Nami declaring her love to Sanji or what?

18. Holy Earlobes of GOD!!

Holy Earlobes of GOD!!

Bounty Points:
    Sanji was trying to look tough in front of them. How many times did Luffy speak while the fight was going on?

19. Monkey D. Hasashi

Monkey D. Hasashi

Bounty Points:
    1) The point was that it was pointless.
    I mean, when thinking inside the frame of the plot, beating Luffy up did not improve anything and was overboard.

Ideally Sanji couldve just filled them in and said goodbye. [no fighting] - The end part of chapter (Luffy's statement + Sanji crying) couldve stayed the same.
    Instead Sanji harmed Luffy, the SHs are still in the dark on his situation: the meet-up was fruitless.
    No, kicking Luffy is not justified by saying that it protects Zeff or the SHs, cause I don't see how it does.

This chapter disregards 'plot-logic' and is aimed more directly in affecting the readers
    - build up to the punch-line of the chapter ''the kicks gave you more pain'' [sad feelings]
    - the kicking filled a chapter, in the end Sanji is still secretly threatened [frustrating]

2) I think Sanji just left the Straw Hats (the way Robin did). Based on this chapter that is the sole evidence-based conclusion.
    Of course the next chapter could give some re-write, but in that case you're just speculating for now.

The guy'll end up back of course. It seems however that he's disassociated himself the exact way Nico robin did. In other words: he gave up.

Hero Garp likes this.
  20. Emperors Tier

Emperors Tier

Bounty Points:
    Ichiji is like I don't buy this shitty acting of yours Sanji

[​IMG]

Also can't he may want to fight Luffy next it would be epic

21. Celestial D. Dragon

Celestial D. Dragon Wanted! Wanted Sanji Bon Chan

Bounty Points:
    You are severely underestimating Luffy's Durability and Endurance if you think 7 kicks are going to take him out for good....

I am glad Oda showcased Luffy not fighting back and taking all these attacks because up until now nobody has really landed any devastating attacks on Luffy post skip besides Bellamy.... Finally Oda gives us a glimpse of his durability and endurance and you Zoro fans of course turn it into an excuse to downplay Sanji....

Oda even spelled it out for everyone... But lets ignore what Oda wrote into the story himself, because it's imperative that we downplay Sanji at all costs...

[​IMG]