General & Other Offpanelling has almost destroyed One Piece for me

Discussion in 'One Piece Manga Discussion' started by Onemanarmy95, Mar 17, 2019 at 4:10 PM.

Share This Page

1. Onemanarmy95

Onemanarmy95

Bounty Points:
    The one that i hated the most was probably at Dressrosa when luffy was shown to run away several chapters while Sabo was fighting Burgess.
    Or offpanelling Sanji vs Page One, Payback war, Akainu vs Aokiji, and all the other fights that only get mentioned for a moment.
    When i think about Naruto for instance every character had their screentime to show off what they can do. Sometimes there even were some story arcs without any of the main character involved. When reverie started and none of the straw hats were involved in it, i couldnt believe my eyes and was very happy as it was something fresh. Nowadays i find it extremely frustrating when the only fights we see from other characters is when they fight against luffy or his crew. I really feel like Oda makes fun of his readers lately with all the offpanelling.
    I did not only start watching Naruto to see how his journey ends. I was interested in all of the characters. Seeing how they do here and than in some episodes was great.
    But dont know how you guys feel about it.. Of course One Piece is not only about fighting but it is still the most important thing in the story in my opinion.
    Thats why i think that Naruto is a better Manga than One Piece over all.

2. HORTLE

HORTLE

Bounty Points:
    oda does not like to draw fights, if that upsets you, then drop the series already

3. Udell

Udell

Bounty Points:
    I gave up on getting any decents fights out of One Piece long ago. Im just reading for the story. Thats why i ignore power level and this character vs this one discussions. Not sure why those are even disccussed anymore. The best part about One Piece is when Oda throw the bait for a fight and everyone gets excited then it gets offpaneled. Like you guys should know the drill by now. :rofl::rofl:

poque, Kaios D. Omen, Camie and 30 others like this.
  4. Dango

Dango

Bounty Points:
    I feel you about the offpaneling, but something you've got to I guess be open minded about is that Oda is likely not seing the same way we see the manga.

What leads to a lot of the offpaneling at the end of the day is the situations surrounding the off paneling. He often times sets up a lot of plot point surrounding the offpanelling fight and in his head he decides to navigate somewhere else and focus on the characters or world building over the fights because he likes focusing on that more.

One Piece has probably if not the biggest cast in all Shounen and he likely doesn't have time to focus on all the fights of all these characters except for the main cast ofcource. Oda also likes hiding power level of certain characters if his trying to use them in the future (like Admiral and the government)

Naruto was great pretimeskip but after that it got really bad and the author of it never even offpaneled any fight so it's kind of pointless bringing that in the argument.

They are two different series that like to focus on different things.

5. JustCasual

JustCasual

Bounty Points:
    It may be upsetting, but there are simply too many moving parts in One Piece to justify actually seeing stuff like the Payback War and the Akainu and Aokji fight. In short, the things we get outside of following the strawhats is used to expand the lore for future events.

Oda did this pretimeskip where we got to know the warlords, admirals, and several other characters (Ace, Blackbeard) to get an epic showdown featuring this cast in Marine Ford. All the events that take place in the background are important set pieces in the narrative, not something Oda needs to show to fill in the gaps.

Last edited: Mar 18, 2019 at 8:08 AM
  6. TivanTim

TivanTim Wanted! Wanted Big Mom Cracker Katakuri Smoothie

Bounty Points:
    It's hasn't ruined for me
    But it is getting to be 2 many off paneled fights for my liking

7. Zabuza

Zabuza

Bounty Points:
    But there are a lot of Headliners that need to be one shot. Try to understand.

Last edited: Mar 17, 2019 at 4:59 PM
  8. vikas

vikas

Bounty Points:
    for me its not off paneling but his story telling and decision to choose which things to skip which to not. Also he should remember that one piece is a long series..and needs to not sue the same old shit...like take last chapter...Queen sends fodders against luffy? like wth? whats with this hyping with fodders again? he is 1.5 B bounty man. and why doesn't everyone knows about his CoC already it was a big event in marine ford, and why get surprised when he sold it like its something everyone has in new world with chinjao. And the whole stuff with Drake , sanji etc..is such a bad story telling. He just making random shit with story progression and will just focus on important events it seems.
    Sadly i dont have hope that oda will focus much and i too for now will care only for major plot points of the series like void century, BB mystery , kaido mystery, etc...dont care about chapters or story telling at all now.

Last edited: Mar 17, 2019 at 5:04 PM
    Sanji W. Smoke, Sade, Nanami and 5 others like this.
  9. Sade

Sade

Bounty Points:
    Comparing naruto fights to One Piece is like comparing Zoro to Sanji.

Also naruto have less characters than One Piece, but in general I agree Oda should have show us at least 1 chapter of Akainu vs Aokiji , or Revos vs Admirals.

Let's be real Oda isn't good in writing fights, his forte is the story, comedy stuff ecc, the problem is that the quality of these aspects has decreased since the beggining of the timeskip.

10. Edward Teach

Edward Teach

Bounty Points:
    Calm your shit

11. jal90

jal90

Bounty Points:
    I feel you, even if not exactly for the fights. I feel that Oda off-panels a lot of stuff lately that could add to the growing attachment to the storytelling, like everything is too fragmented and reduced to the basic infodump before getting to the next plot point. It's a kind of weird situation where the plot is complicated with many subplots spawning again and again but each of them has little weight. Particularly in Wano it seems at times that they just go from point A to point B with not much of an anticipation or an afterthought inbetween.

Last edited: Mar 17, 2019 at 5:29 PM
    Kaios D. Omen, Kosh and Onemanarmy95 like this.
  12. Topi Jerami

Topi Jerami

Bounty Points:
    Sanji vs Page One isn't important and just wasting time and space. Sanji and his nosebleed gag is far more interesting and worth the panel.

Last edited: Mar 17, 2019 at 5:37 PM
  13. Ice D Fire

Ice D Fire

Bounty Points:
    It's ironic, how much people complain about off paneling in One Piece, but when Yu Yu Hakusho did it back in the day people praised it for being genius and subversive.

Hakipotence, Redx, Suuuuper and 2 others like this.
  14. ShinmenTakezo

ShinmenTakezo

Bounty Points:
    Yep Luffy in Dressrosa i agree. It was supposed to be a monumental moment, like last round Croc vs Luffy, or Luffy vs Enel, but Oda´s 20 minute timeskip and then Luffy waiting for 10 minute took the dynamic away.

Sanji vs Page One is pretty irrelevant. I know people want to see suit vs dinosaur, but from a narrative standpoint, it only exists to supposedly justify Sanji swallowing his pride and using the suit (another issue), but the fight itself? Irrelevant.

Payback war? No relation to Luffy.

Akainu vs Aokiji? No relation to Luffy.

Really? You bringing up Naruto? The series that forgot the main cast besides dumb and dumber also were legitimate fighters, and everyone without an uber ancient super powerful jutsu or idiotic eye techniques became irrelevant? Yeah, not the best series to use as "good example".

So generally? I agree. The examples you brought up though, yeah not legitimate.

15. Celestial D. Dragon

Celestial D. Dragon

Bounty Points:
    If Oda drew every fight in One Piece in full length, you'd have to tack on another 20 years before One Piece gets completed... Things like the Payback War, or Aokiji and Akainu, or Weevil destroying the Whitebeard remnants, etc.. Is just there to let the readers know that the World is still spinning even though the majority of the story focuses on the protagonists... Those scenarios also can't be shown in full length, because there is no restrictions placed on the characters, and it will give away the full strength of the Top Tiers, sooner than Oda wants to... When writing a story, you need to give your readers something to look forward to, to keep them invested...

16. Monkey D Theories

Monkey D Theories

Bounty Points:
    the payback war and aokiji vs akainu were things that happened during the time skip. Why should Oda draw them? We'll probably get at least a few panels of flashback to these incidents.

and p1 vs sanji was just a warm up fight

17. Onemanarmy95

Onemanarmy95

Bounty Points:
    I understand that all these offpanelled events mentioned above cant be shown in full length but it would be nice to just show some parts of them or only a few minutes rather than just mentioning them as if they were nothing major. I mean there was a picture of Akainu and Aokijis fight or also from the payback war. They could easily show at least the first 60 seconds of the fight or something like that.
    I would even be happy with that tbh

Suuuuper and Dango like this.
  18. MasterD

MasterD

Bounty Points:
    If he drew every single battle we would still have been in alabastra
    --- Double Post Merged, Mar 17, 2019 at 6:41 PM, Original Post Date: Mar 17, 2019 at 6:40 PM ---
    he has to concentrate on the main things hopefully thingh like light novel will appear like in ace's case

Camie, Suuuuper, Nessos and 1 other person like this.
  19. bluefire12

bluefire12

Bounty Points:
    Because we're focusing on Luffy and his journey to Become pirate king

Last edited: Mar 18, 2019 at 12:02 AM
    Camie, spitles and Suuuuper like this.
  20. Rider

Rider

Bounty Points:
    the off panneling in one piece is one hell of a genious idea from Oda to keep the fandome play with their head cannon lol

brickflair, Redx, spitles and 4 others like this.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice