1. This forum is dedicated for discussion of Theories & Speculations created using our Theories & Speculations platform.
    • To publish a new theory or speculation, click here
    • To see a list of all theories & speculations, read, rate and review click here

Luffy will NOT be the one to defeat Akainu

Discussion in 'The Theory Archive' started by Celestial D. Dragon, Jan 31, 2014.

Share This Page

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Celestial D. Dragon

Celestial D. Dragon

Bounty Points:
    Alright, a few months ago I had made this statement in a thread (I forget where) and a lot of people thouht I was crazy for even mentioning it. They had good reason to, I mean the man killed Ace for crying out loud. If that didn't scream Luffy vs. Akainu, I don't know what else would. Well my argument back then was the fact that Oda will never have Luffy kill someone, it's just not how Luffy was designed. He's always been the one to settle all scores with "beating up" his opponents. But for what Akainu did to Ace, he deserves a lot more than just getting his ass kicked, and I had originally stated that I thought Garp was going to be the one to do it. That has all changed however, because now there is one man who not only shares in Luffy's hatred of Akainu for killing Ace, but also his goal that he shares with his fellow Nakama is to bring down the World Government, and everyone in it. If you haven't figured it out by now, the man I am refering to is Sabo. Lets face it, alot of people have been torn between who is going to be Luffy's final opponent, arguing whether or not its going to be Blackbeard, or Akainu. I always thought the final war was going to involve both Blackbeard and Akainu, and now that Sabo is alive, we have the perfect opponent for him when the war finally happens. :p

2. Sengoku

Sengoku

Bounty Points:
    Great point! Tho i would love seeing the dark side of luffy :3

3. Celestial D. Dragon

Celestial D. Dragon

Bounty Points:
    I forgot to mention, if Luffy faces Blackbeard, and Sabo faces Akainu, it gives both of Aces brothers the chance to avenge his death. Luffy defeats Blackbeard for capturing Ace and causing his death, and Sabo defeats Akainu for killing Ace.

4. Onuard

Onuard

Bounty Points:
    I'd say those are also matches more suited for fighting each other, going by their personalities

5. Donquixote Doflamingo

Donquixote Doflamingo

Bounty Points:
    No just no.

hussien2011, NS1, Sammy and 2 others like this.
  6. Roshi420

Roshi420

Bounty Points:
    Great point! While I want nothing more than to see luffy give Akainu his just desserts it would be almost if not equally exciting to see Sabo do it.

7. Sammy

Sammy

Bounty Points:
    If by any means it's not Luffy vs Akainu (which will happen) then the next big thing would be an eventual Akainu vs Coby to decide the fleet admiral or dethrone akainu.

8. Saiken

Saiken Katakuri

Bounty Points:

hooooo.. I'll like that.. for me akainu vs SAbo .. hmmmmm .. he may have a grudge on akainu..but i can't imagine Sabo is the was going to kill Akainu.

maybe Luffy will eventually fight akainu then after that Coby arrives and will dethrone akainu?

9. Mac

Mac

Bounty Points:
    Personally, I don't really care who out of Sabo or Luffy defeat Akainu. Though I don't think they'll defeat him together... that's not really the "style" of One Piece.

10. Sammy

Sammy

Bounty Points:
    We will have luffy vs akainu 100%
    It is pretty much confirmed. The reaction of luffy when akainu is mentioned, the build up to all of it in MF, it's better not to doubt it because it will happen.

11. DoFlamingoDaCannibal

DoFlamingoDaCannibal

Bounty Points:
    Why would Sabo vs Akainu happen? Oda hasn't even suggested anything like this . And Akainu is the first person to EVER break and completely destroy Luffy's will to fight to the point where Luffy cursed himself for being too weak and naive and that he was not worthy of becoming the pirate king which is extremely rare for Luffy to say this . Luffy vs Akainu simply carries more emotional weight then the simple and typical revenge fight between Sabo and Akainu .

Also where did Sabo show any hatred towards Akainu or his hatred for the world government ?! if anything he showed more hatred for the nobles back in the flashback . We haven't even gotten what Sabo wants or what is his motivation for joining the revolutionary army

12. Celestial D. Dragon

Celestial D. Dragon

Bounty Points:
    Why wouldn't Sabo hate Akainu? Why wouldn't he want to get revenge for Ace's death? Ace was his brother also. You don't think he feels guilty for not being at Marineford, and being unable to save Ace? It was written all over the conversation between him and Koala. From him stating he was sure Luffy was going to punch him, to Koala telling him that even if he was at Marineford, it still might not have changed the outcome. Sabo knew Ace longer than anyone, and had even planned to sail out to sea with him so that they could become pirates together. Oda put a lot of emotional investment between Ace and Sabo's relationship. Also the manner in which Sabo "died" is the same as Ace, they both died by fire. Ace regretted being unable to save Sabo, just as Sabo regrets being unable to save Ace.

As far as the World Government goes, you do realize that they are completely comprised of the World Nobles right? And the World Government directly controls the Marines. Sabo was rescued by Dragon, and therefore brought up by the Revolutionaries. The Revolutionaries directly oppose the World Government, and in turn, are an enemy of the Marines. In order to get to the World Government, they have to go through the Marines.

It wasn't just Akainu who broke Luffy. It was the entire events of the war. The realization that he was just a small fish, who was absolutely powerless against the might of all those who gathered at Marineford. Akainu is just the one who shattered the shell that had already began to crack throughout the war.

Obviously it is to early to tell what Sabo's major involvement is going to be, or EXACTLY how he feels at this point, but now that he has been re-introduced, light will be shed on his situation. I myself happen to believe that there is a deeper reason as to why Oda chose to go about intertwining Ace, Luffy, and Sabo's backstory the way he did, and at the time he did. Why wait until Ace was killed to introduce Sabo? Why have everything Sabo loved and cared about taken from him by fire? Not once, but twice?

Last edited: Feb 1, 2014
  13. DoFlamingoDaCannibal

DoFlamingoDaCannibal

Bounty Points:
    He regrets saving Ace yes but where does that suggest that he really hates Akainu and wants to fight Akainu himself ?! I sure as hell don't see a dialogue where this is even suggested compare on the other hand Luffy that always gets pissed off or looks at his scar whenever Akainu is mentioned , reminding us exactly what Akainu did and what it means to Luffy . I am not saying that he doesn't dislike Akainu or anything but him hating Akainu to the point where he will kill him is just not suggested anywhere in the manga as of YET .

We literally don't know anything about Sabo's current views at all but what you are saying is that Sabo shares the same goal as Luffy to beat Akainu and bring down the world government ( even though Luffy's only goal has been to become the pirate king in order to get the most freedom in the world ) something that hasn't even been slightly hinted at all .

LOL how should i know this ?! And What do you mean?! Isn't it because of that fire that he managed to meet Dragon and escape his shitty life and became a revolutionary in the first place ?!

Not really the whole war showed that Luffy wasn't strong enough to take on the big names regardless of what type of determination and fight will he had . Luffy's determination and fighting will has always been shown as unbreakable through the series and the war was no different since he still went and achieved his goal that was later destroyed by Akainu . I understand this is a theory but it still doesn't have anything that is backing it up . All you are providing here are the assumptions about Sabo's goal which have yet to be shown .

14. Celestial D. Dragon

Celestial D. Dragon

Bounty Points:

Regardless if it's speculation or not, it's part of my theory, and theories are of course pure speculation. The only argument you seem to have to debunk what I'm saying is the fact that Oda hasn't "officially" confirmed that Sabo holds a hatred towards Akainu and wants revenge against what happened to Ace. Luffy isn't the "revenge" type of character. He holds no grudges towards anyone, even those who have tried to kill him, or even towards the man who practically killed him.... TWICE (Crocodile) Luffy has always had a clear cut reason as to why he fights the people he fights, and that is to save others. As it stands right now the only reason Luffy has to fight Akainu is for revenge for Aces death, and that's not who Luffy is. So going by your logic, there is absolutely no proof that Luffy is going to be the one to fight Akainu, cause Oda has yet to reveal who Luffy has to save by defeating Akainu.

15. Sammy

Sammy

Bounty Points:
    From a story perspective, whether or not Sabo hates Akainu, which he would, it would not feel as impactful as someone who has witnessed it and lived it. In shonen manga, when you build a character this much in one arc, you're building him for a big fight with your protagonist. Simple as that.

The idea is logical, @Celestial D. Dragon and I never for one second doubted that anyone associated with Ace would despise Akainu, but it would be so extremely forced for Sabo to be the one to take on Akainu, and it would be an unwanted, random twist in the plot which would cock-block all fans from something they've long to be expecting, Akainu vs Luffy, which is set-in-stone.

It will be Akainu vs Luffy, for the protagonist, for the plot to progression, for poetic vengeance, for many reasons that would cease to exist with Sabo being the one who fights Akainu, which would have no weight in the story, and it would be something "cool" and nothing else. Sabo vs Akainu not only holds far less weight and plot value, it also negates the majority of Luffy's shaped-up progression with how he was handled in Marineford, with how Akainu killed him in front of him, with how Akainu chased Luffy, with how Oda gave Luffy such a large "reminder" scar on his chest, with how Akainu's value to the plot increased with him becoming Fleet Admiral, and with how the mentioning of Akainu's name makes Luffy's scar ache, and makes him grab it in pain and more. All of that holds a lot more weight and plot value, and any different route would be the ultimate cock-block by Oda, one that would also negate his writing and its importance when he decides to flip like that.

Last edited: Feb 1, 2014
  16. Celestial D. Dragon

Celestial D. Dragon

Bounty Points:
    I never said we won't see Luffy vs Akainu ;) I said that Luffy won't be the one to defeat him. There is many ways Oda can go about setting up Luffy Vs. Akainu, satisfy the fans, and still shift the focus over to a Sabo Vs. Akainu match-up. I would have addressed this sooner, but instead of people wanting to debate they chose to attack my theory instead. To me Luffy's endgame is going to be Blackbeard, there is no doubt in my mind about that. I believe that battle is going to take place during the Final War Oda spoke about. I also believe that with Akainu's promotion to Fleet Admiral, he will also definitely be apart of that Final War. I do not believe however that Akainu is going to be anywhere near Luffy's level in terms of power by the end of One Piece. The man is what? Late fifties, early sixties? He's clearly in his prime now, or maybe even a little bit past it, and he's also On Par with the other Admirals in terms of power. (At least Kizaru and Ex Admiral Kuzan) Now if you think about it, we are going to be seeing "Kizaru Vs. Sanji" "Fujitora vs Zoro" so that leaves a "Ryokugyu Vs. Luffy" match-up. Obviously if that happens Ryokugyu is going to be stronger than Kizaru and Fujitora. Then what? Luffy is going to fight Akainu whose basically just as strong? By that time Luffy's going to already surpass the man. Luffy is eventually going to surpass Rayleigh, and Rayleigh is able to hold his own against an Admiral, and he's way past his prime. If Oda gives Akainu a power-up it had better be explained in a way that no other power-up has ever been explained in manga history that gives me a heart attack and a stroke at the same time. You don't just give Blackbeard two devil fruits (and possibly a third) and expect me to believe Akainu is going to trump that :p

Edit: I forgot to mention....This is the reason I believe that we will be seeing Sabo defeat Akainu, and it's going to happen during the Final Arc, in the major war.

17. Sammy

Sammy

Bounty Points:
    In the timeskip I put Akainu above admiral status in terms of power, and don't you worry about Akainu keeping up with Luffy, haha. He'll manage ;).
    Sabo vs Akainu conclusion would be too random and it would negate many plot primitives, it is highly unlikely. So unlikely that it would actually be too forced and downright bad, but that's just my opinion on it, as you have yours.

Also, I edited the last post a while back and added this:

Just giving you a heads-up.

hussien2011 likes this.
  18. Celestial D. Dragon

Celestial D. Dragon

Bounty Points:
    If anyone can pull it off, Oda can :p

I know where you coming from though, and I agree with you. But I also believe that all of that happening (minus the becoming a fleet admiral part) Wasn't just ment to put the thought of a "Luffy vs Akainu" match-up into the fans heads. To me all of that was neccessary in order for Luffy to realize just what exactly he was going to be getting into upon entering the New World. Up until that point he believe he could truly make it on the strength he already had alone, and nothing was changing his mind about that. First he was unable to lay a hand on Smoker, then he was owned in a second and almost killed by Aokiji, then he was almost beaten to death by Rob Lucci, then One Pacifista nearly wiped out his whole crew, and Kuma completely owned all of them within seconds and sent everyone away. Even after all that Luffy still had planned to meet up within 3 days and head to the New World. We both know Oda didn't didn't put Luffy through the events of the Marineford war, just to set up one match-up. Obviously it was part of the reason, but the underlining statement Oda was going for was to make Luffy opens his eyes to what he couldn't see, and that was the fact that he was weak. I don't know though, I just have a feeling that if Luffy is going to face Akainu its going to have to be different than what we are expecting. Oda isn't going to change who Luffy is, and I don't think fans are going to settle for Akainu just getting "beat up" for what he did. Its kind of like a damned if you do, damned if you don't situation.

19. Sammy

Sammy

Bounty Points:
    Just..don't..
    Even if every mangaka worked on that plot, the past won't be forgotten. It's far too late for it, I'm sorry. Oda would mitigate the badness of going with that route, but not even Neptune can completely erase the horrible aftermath of flipping sides like that.

You see here is where I disagree. The marineford war as a WHOLE was the constant array of bitch-slap wake up calls to Luffy. The three admirals, the vice admirals, Sengoku, the pacifistas, him having to be saved 50 times, that Dragon is the major "realization" that Luffy needed to know he's weak.

Though Akainu specifically is different, it became personal the second that Magma fist pierced Ace's body. Blackbeard simply capturing Ace made Luffy rage that hard on BB in impel down, now imagine a capable Luffy gazing on Sakazuki. Oda deciding for Akainu to be the one who scars Luffy not only mentally but also physically destinguishes Akainu further from the roster of bitch slappers Luffy had to take on. Sakazuki also becoming fleet admiral is so he can be rightfully hinted to be above of what an admiral is, and also not only supports the future notion of the captain vs the fleet admiral, but it also justifies (no pun intended) Akainu being of more significance.

Hahahaha, before reading this part I replied to the first part. Same answer here xD. Everything was an array of bitch slaps, while Akainu is that and a little more.

I don't take out Luffy killing at least one person, that would be such an immense character development for him. I don't put it off Oda too much, and at the same time, Akainu being killed off by someone else would piss me the fuck off from a fan's perspective and a reviewer's perspective.
    And as for how Akainu vs Luffy will turn out to be without Akainu dying, I'll play devil's advocate and quote you on this one ;)
    He already made it work, he'll manage.

Mugiwara Kun and hussien2011 like this.
  20. Celestial D. Dragon

Celestial D. Dragon

Bounty Points:
    You and your damn Neptune! FOR THE LAST TIME HE IS NOT THE ONE PIECE! :cool:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice