Support Labeling Confirmed + Debunked Theories/Speculations

Discussion in 'Theories Help Desk' started by TwinKidd_B, Feb 25, 2018.

Share This Page

1. TwinKidd_B

TwinKidd_B

Bounty Points:
    Adding a New Filter: Confirmed + Debunked Theories/Speculations

First of all, I personally want to say "thank you" to all you guys who help keep Oro Jackson going. Though I've only been on here for a few months, that break was a frustrating + difficult thing to wait through. Congratulations on your victory!! While I'm still fairly new to the theory experience, I'm really grateful that a place like Oro Jackson exists for sharing long-form/written ideas about One Piece. Just wanted to say that up top!

Now, here's my suggestion:

I feel that there should be some means of tagging theories/speculations as either confirmed or debunked (possibly a "yet to be determined" category as well). While this is all in good fun + meant to be just a hobby, it would be greatly beneficial for the platform as a whole if there was a means of sorting the proven from the disproven. As the story unfolds, ideas will inevitably be confirmed or disproven. There's no way around it. However, regardless of what Oda chooses to do, the predictions just keep coming. It's impossible to read through them all, + just looking at the shier number of theories can be daunting sometimes.

Being able to filter theories + speculations in this way makes this website far more user friendly. It allows us to consider what ideas are still possible, as well as look back fondly at the incredible + creative ideas we've had that were ultimately not what Oda had in mind! Having this option would also give credibility to those authors that get it right more often + consistently, even if their theories + speculations don't get the attention/traffic they deserve. In fact, this could very well be the way to give them that owed attention. Personally, I've even taken to labeling my own predictions as [Now Dunked] in the title when disproven, hoping to help out potential readers. As thoughtful + well written an idea might be, I don't want to waste a reader's time if they aren't interested in disproven predictions.

While some people might find the prospect of their ideas being highlighted as "Dubunked" or some other descriptor as humiliating, it isn't meant to be! 99% of theories + speculations are wrong anyway. We aren't Oda lol. It is meant to help readers find the content they're interested in, and it might push writers to be more on their game when constructing theories. I really think this would help to make Oro Jackson an even greater place than it already is!

Again, thanks for all that you guys do. I don't actually know anyone in my real day-to-day life that reads/watches One Piece, let alone any other anime/manga series. So, having a place like this where I can share my ideas + have a real dialogue w/ other people who love the story I love means more than you know. As for the policing + management of this labeling idea, I'll just leave it as a comment in the thread. I'm sure people can think of even better solutions than one's I can come up w/ anyway. Well, I hope this was a constructive suggestion, + keep making this place great.

-Twinkidd

2. jinz

jinz

Bounty Points:
    Good suggestion bro but how though. I mean... to have a "confirmed & debunked" filter means someone in the Mods needs to reread all those theories every chapter to know if a theory got debunked right? :)

3. TwinKidd_B

TwinKidd_B

Bounty Points:
    Hey, thanks! My thought would be that they could offer some sort of reward points for those that read and mark the theories as either confirmed or debunked. Even the authors could do this themselves if they wanted as soon as an announcement of sorts was made/brought to their attention. You could offer some small amount of points for marking the debunked theories since there are so many of them. Even though it's a small reward, since there are so many, the would add up to a lot (for whoever values those points). It could be pushed even further by giving it a theme. The announcement for the value of finding a confirmed theory could go something like this.

"Hey nakama! There's hidden treasure to be found here on Oro Jackson!! Among the many One Piece theories and speculations, there are points to be taken. Find and tag a theory or speculation that has been debunked by Oda, and you'll be rewarded 50 trophy points (the quality + quantity of points can be whatever/decided by the people who run Oro Jackson). But if you find real treasure, a confirmed theory or speculation, + you'll receive 100 bounty points!!! There are plenty of predictions to be looted, but you have to act fast. Pirates are known for their selfishness + unfairness haha!"

I'm just riffing here, but something like that. I wouldn't want it to be another task for the people who run the forums. It could be done by the people who use the site. If it becomes part of the culture of Oro Jackson, the situation kind of policies itself. And again, the points can be whatever kind and however much. I'm not too familiar w/ what can be done w/ the points, so I just went with an idea. In the same way that reviewing encourages reading theories + predictions, this could be the same thing. The only thing that the mods might have to be involved in is a potential refutal system, where a theorist believes that his idea has not been truly proven or disproven. They should be able to contest it should the case arise. Anyway, makes sense to me.

Last edited: Feb 28, 2018
    Su Long Bepo likes this.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice