Questions & Mysteries Is Onigashima the Fishman Island equivalent for the "Oni"/"Beasts"?

Discussion in 'One Piece Manga Discussion' started by SanjiKun, Oct 13, 2018 at 11:52 PM.

Share This Page

1. SanjiKun

SanjiKun

Bounty Points:
    Both of them have the "島" kanji (but pronounced differently) at the end. Fishman Island is Gyojin-toukontoi (魚人), while Onigashima is (鬼ヶ).

That ending is quite common in One Piece, but for these two the nomeclature is "race of creatures" + 島.

I wonder if Onigashima is similar the fishmen (or minks), where there are different races/mixtures of Oni, like Fishmen Oni, Sea Dragon Oni, etc...and they can all intermix. If that's the case then Jack would be a race of Oni, rather than a half fishman.

We also know that Oars died in the "Land of Ice" because he didn't have proper clothing, while Kaido is properly dressed.

[​IMG]

I wonder if the Oni have been occupying this territory ever since Oars died and landed here with his bands of people.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Stephen from VIZ actually pointed out that Kaido's title "Hyakuju no Kaido" (Hundred Beast Kaido) is similar to the Japanese translation for "King of the Jungle" nomer for the Lion, 'Hyaku-juu no Ou", implying Kaido is a bit like the King of all the Beasts in Onigashima.

herasux, Cpt-Luffy, joby and 13 others like this.
  2. Kejon

Kejon

Bounty Points:
    I hope that's the case. That would also mean Kaido doesn't have the Oni DF and an entire race of Oni creatures would be far more interesting imo.

herasux, Cpt-Luffy, joby and 8 others like this.
  3. D Sanji

D Sanji

Bounty Points:
    I agree. Being a Human/Oni hybrid is better than having the Oni Fruit.

4. Hero_Hat

Hero_Hat

Bounty Points:
    I've been saying Kaidou may actually be an actual Oni for a few years now. So this makes me happy.

Cpt-Luffy, Pritam and joby like this.
  5. Marquis

Marquis

Bounty Points:

Really hope this the case.refuse to believe characters like caesar clown moriah are just regular humans

joby likes this.
  6. SanjiKun

SanjiKun

Bounty Points:
    Yeah, it'd be awesome if Moriah was also from Onigashima.

7. Redx

Redx

Bounty Points:
    Dunno. I just wanna see some Kaiju in Wano.

joby likes this.
  8. Juju151111

Juju151111

Bounty Points:
    So what would be Kaido fruit.

joby likes this.
  9. D Sanji

D Sanji

Bounty Points:
    Maybe they fought to be King of Onigashima.

joby likes this.
  10. SanjiKun

SanjiKun

Bounty Points:
    Dragon? Who knows?

Although him and Jack not being able to die, probably means the Oni can survive in the sea regardless of the fruit.

joby likes this.
  11. RUIYO

RUIYO

Bounty Points:
    nice finding, but wasn't jack half fishman or something like that?

Anyways it would be nice!! more background story to the oni and more interesting setting over all...

joby likes this.
  12. HORTLE

HORTLE

Bounty Points:
    Really good eye my friend. I would say this is a big piece of evidence to support the oni theories, although not for the theory that he ate an oni fruit.

joby likes this.
  13. Charlotte Horchata

Charlotte Horchata

Bounty Points:
    I disagree. That implies that he's the lord of all animals as the captain of the Beasts Pirates and his army of Zoan and SMILE users.

Overall I think this is a bit far-fetched and Onigashima simply is a direct reference to Momotaro's tale (one more). The ogre lives in the ogre island, but that's it, I don't think there's such a thing as an oni race and the closest thing we'll ever get will be the giants like Oars, but nothing more complex than that such as fishman oni. Jack will be confirmed to be half fishman/half human or giant and I hope that the rest of the calamities end up being mixes of other races, with their whole background and relationship with Kaido revolving around stigma and artificiality.

14. RUIYO

RUIYO

Bounty Points:
    I mean Oars look more like a devil than anything... Little oars is from Wano as well or speculated Ace is known to visit Wano and made a Wano like hat for Little Oars so it is not far fetched it doesn't have to be demons maybe Japanese or wanonese or however people of wano are called just call them that, certainly they are different from other giants, having horns weird skin color green or red, and are bigger than normal giants and they do resemble the oni in Japanese folklore ...

[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

15. Charlotte Horchata

Charlotte Horchata

Bounty Points:
    The race of Oars has been strongly implied to be artificial and the result of successful gigantification experiments since their exact silhouette was seen when Law explained them. So I highly doubt that they are native of Wano (could be that they were introduced there, of course, but I don't think so). Also, it has never been stated that Little Oars is from Wano, only that Ace learned how to make a straw hat there and he gave it to him. Now, there certainly seems to be a link between some characters (Oars, Vegapunk, Kaido...) all of who are deeply related to winter islands. There may be something there, but I'm not sure about Onigashima being the land of giants like Oars.

Last edited: Oct 14, 2018 at 4:32 AM
    King of Hearts likes this.
  16. Hero_Hat

Hero_Hat

Bounty Points:
    #MothravsGodzilla in OP would be dope

17. SanjiKun

SanjiKun

Bounty Points:
    Right, but he's a beast himself, and that has nothing to do with his DF. Marco has a Zooan too, but no one is going to call him a beast. He's a "ningen".

18. vikas

vikas

Bounty Points:
    maybe....but we dont have much oni like people...and moreover the island is wano region.. just like in japan i think it will be an island of wano which is going to reference the onigashima...IRL too there is Megijima island which is said to be referencing onigashima island myth...so even wano citizens might have a myth about how onis lived there maybe.

19. Charlotte Horchata

Charlotte Horchata

Bounty Points:
    Well, he certainly is a creature and a thing. My bet is on a Mewtwo-like character deeply linked to Vegapunk, gigantification and therefore Oars's race, but not in a natural way.

20. SanjiKun

SanjiKun

Bounty Points:
    Yeah, but that's exactly why I made this theory. Onigashima in Momotaro is the island of Onis. There are many of them, but Momotaro only brings back their leader.

King of Hearts likes this.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice