General & Other Is anyone else completely underwhelmed by Wano arc?

Discussion in 'One Piece Manga Discussion' started by HackDA, Dec 24, 2018.

Tags:

Share This Page

1. HackDA

HackDA

Bounty Points:
    For Hackda to simply gloss over the Reverie (what should have been the most important arc in OP history), you would think Wano would have been more... interesting. But, as of yet, this arc has been a slow an uneventful snoozefest.

It seems like Wano, thus far, has been one big weaboo/Japanese culture fellatio with very little actual story development.

The arc is going nowhere fast. I pray this arc eventually ties into the overall bigger/final arc of One Piece.

2. Dazai

Dazai

Bounty Points:
    I agree, Wano is trash. Lets hurry up and get to Elbaf :kappa:

3. Gōki

Gōki

Bounty Points:
    Here we go again, the classic "this arc is trash" syndrome. :madmonk:

Thomasengine, Perrier, Kaoru and 90 others like this.
  4. luckyroo20

luckyroo20

Bounty Points:
    Warning: You will be attacked

I agree to a certain extent tho

5. Spike Spiegel

Spike Spiegel

Bounty Points:
    I don't agree. I really enjoy it so far.

6. andriearies

andriearies

Bounty Points:
    Must be new fan that skip Dressrosa arc.

7. Camie

Camie

Bounty Points:
    Im having a lot of fun with it. Most in social media are having a blast so far too. Anytime Luffy gets smacked, it brings out certain fans in droves to enjoy it as well.

8. FRaSp

FRaSp

Bounty Points:
    It's just the usual build up for a story. You get introduced to the scenery and the characters, you get an idea of the overall plot/problem and the hype is generated/increasing. This will be followed by a climax, turning point and a solution of the problem/plot later on.
    If One Piece wouldn't be as "slow" as it is, it would not be such an epic manga. Seriously have you ever written a (short) story or anything like that (in school)? You simply don't just blurt things out/don't come straight to the point. One Piece thrives from its hype building and open mysteries.

Last edited: Dec 29, 2018
  9. lokilasher

lokilasher

Bounty Points:
    psssh.. you should have seen the whining during the Fishman Island arc, at least Dressrosa had epic shit in it.

10. Charlotte Horchata

Charlotte Horchata

Bounty Points:
    I am, indeed. Three quick points:

1) Plot driven by randomness. Luffy separated from the rest because yes, meeting Tama because yes, reuniting with Zoro because yes, and even Sanji and the rest saying that they somehow managed to find Kin'emon. Lazy writing in this regard as there isn't a proper link connecting the events. I could accept it happening once, for example, but this is too much arbitrariness (or at least that's how I perceive it).

2) Poor character design, specially after enjoying the Big Mom Pirates. Overall feels like Oda is too excited about showing his country to the point of missing valuable personal contributions, seeming like he's limiting his own creativity because he doesn't want to corrupt the original material too much. The gifters (including SMILE headliners) stand out sometimes because of their weirdness but so far, unless I'm missing something, we lack designs based on an actual, conceptual work. Jack stays the best design among the crew thanks to not only maintaining the symbolism in Kaido's visuals (really sad we lost them in Queen and King) but also incorporating some rhetoric through the resemblance between his shotels and mammoth tusks. But it still isn't enough to be great.

3) The prison is a joke. I'm seriously disappointed with it. Kaido is trying to break two conquerors and he's basically making them stronger by training and competing with each other. Breaking stone in exchange for food tickets is so basic that sounds even childish. We could have actual torture, deadly battles between prisoners, hunger and pain... But instead we have this summer camp.

Don't get me wrong, there are certain things that are interesting, such as the time travel and its consequences (although it was executed in the cheapest way, in my opinion, and Oda could have worked some really nice mysticism by playing with the moonlight and petrification of those who are about to be sent into the future), Wano's industrialization, the potential of Tama's fruit in contrast to Kaido's rule or the act structure with intercalated world building scenes. But overall it is underwhelming, yes.

Last edited: Dec 28, 2018
  11. Sadistic Senpai

Sadistic Senpai

Bounty Points:
    I love it
    People gotta start learning to enjoy the ride instead of wanting to rush things up and complain!

It's one and the same that made people not enjoy the ride of WCI where they just wanted to get to Wano and be like: "I don't care about this plot and thisplot and the other hundred plots that still didn't unfold, just go to Wano"

Those type of viewers must not read the series weakly, and rather, they should just leave the series a year or two where they read it only when the arc fully is over, to marathon it

Reddot4, Dudu, Dainolf and 13 others like this.
  12. Ariadne_Wyvern

Ariadne_Wyvern

Bounty Points:
    I totally agree with this! I expected so much more from the prison. Is it because with it being shounen he can't have it too dark for a long period of time? Other than One Piece, MHA and Fairy Tail is the only shounen I've watched

13. Prison Mike

Prison Mike

Bounty Points:
    I didn’t think Wano could disappoint me harder than WCI.

[​IMG]

EDIT: Don't come at me with yalls "give it time" BS. I follow other manga on a week by week basis and OP is the only manga that can't hold up.

Last edited: Dec 24, 2018
  14. Charlotte Horchata

Charlotte Horchata

Bounty Points:
    Not trying to sound mean here, but maybe what some people actually need to start learning is to ignore those who aren't backing up their criticism properly (for example, those who truly suffer from reading the series weekly) and pay attention to those who have reasons to dislike something. Sometimes things have real defects and the words you typed are literally the most used, yet the worst counter-argument when it comes to One Piece. Again, not trying to sound mean, no offense, but your argument is simplistic and only leads to ignore well-founded criticism, which is hugely unfair.
    --- Double Post Merged, Dec 24, 2018, Original Post Date: Dec 24, 2018 ---
    Even if this was the case, Oda could write something darker without getting "too dark" because, at this point, the prison is so childish that it can be improved easily. Just think of Impel Down.

15. kiiro94

kiiro94

Bounty Points:
    Lol, it will be an arc where all the SH will have their own battle.

16. BOCCHI

BOCCHI

Bounty Points:
    Its still building up so far... Its gonna be a long arc so if makes sense it isn't going fast atm.

17. DarkWitch

DarkWitch

Bounty Points:
    After Luffy and Kid defeated Dobon, one of the guards told them that they're going to get executed. Obviously we knew that wasn't going to happen but I expected at least some type of punishment, two chapters later both Luffy and Kid are doing their usual prison work and they received no punishment for defeating Dobon.

18. BOCCHI

BOCCHI

Bounty Points:
    Yeah, I just got reminded by other members above that in all honesty the prison part as of has bad execution by Oda.

Ariadne_Wyvern likes this.
  19. Charlotte Horchata

Charlotte Horchata

Bounty Points:
    When you feel that they're even enjoying being there and Luffy can choose to give the old man some of his food while laughing because he has a lot then something is really, really wrong. Seriously, when he talked to Raizou he was like "no hurries, better come and rescue me tomorrow because tonight is cinema night and we're having some beers later".

20. lokilasher

lokilasher

Bounty Points:
    Speaking of the prison, it was too easy for Raizo to break in there imo. I mean I know he's a ninja and shit, but god damn, the guy just showed up out of nowhere wearing a sketchy hood talking to one of the inmates, and no one thinks anything is amiss?

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice