Discussion I Have a Confession...

Discussion in 'Attack On Titan' started by UchaNekome, Sep 8, 2013.

Share This Page

1. UchaNekome

UchaNekome

Bounty Points:
    I have never seen Attack On Titan and what I've seen of it I don't like. I'm kinda getting an Evangelion vibe from it and my feelings toward that show can be described in the stylings of Littlekuriboh.

Now I'm aware I don't have any room for criticism since I've never seen the anime. But I WOULD like some clarification on why it's so popular, and why I should watch it. Cause honestly, I'm getting sick of people saying to me "Go watch it, it's good!" without telling me why it's good...
    P.S. I HATE creatures who kill without any real reason to AND pointless tragedies, so have fun convincing me to watch this show...

MoriJin, Death72 and simovich like this.
  2. Divvens

Divvens

Bounty Points:
    Alright I got time now so I'll reply.

First, they say don't judge a book by its cover, so if you've seen only a little bit of it don't dislike it. No anime deserves to be disliked by just small previews or short watching's, you are free to dislike once you have watched a couple of episodes and then drop it. But without watching, disliking is just not right in my opinion.

Second, I don't know why it's popular, I give internet the credit for it's massive rise in fame. Internet can make many things famous as well as make many things hated.

Do you dislike zombies? Because they are also creatures who kill without any real reasons (eating brains is just a pointless reason, they attack/kill for no good reason). And as far as I know, there aren't pointless tragedies in Attack On Titan.

Now, what I type below may be considered spoiler, though I'll try my best to keep it spoiler free. Note, I'm not a huge die hard fan of AoT, but it's a series that doesn't deserve to be judged without giving it a try;

1. The Titan's aren't creatures who kill without any real reason, the whole background behind how Titans came into existence, why they do what they do etc is a mystery which is slowly uncovering in the plot. It's not clear, and there are speculations out there, but eventually we'll know why, who and what made the Titans the way they are now.

2. The show has some amazing characters, although I don't watch the anime and only follow the Manga, so I cannot speak about the anime but the Manga itself is great. Each character is unique, has their own goals, you may think in such a tragic plot humans would stick together, think again. It isn't a series that shows the sweet and goodie sides, it depicts things in such a way that we can connect with it, i.e it would be the real situation if things were to happen that way.

3. Pointless tragedies, nothing is pointless in AoT, from character backgrounds to death of countless, nothing is pointless. Everything is inter-connected with the whole fact that Titan's are mysterious creatures...spoiler below
    It's not clear yet how, but Titans were once humans. Some humans can transform into their Titan form by their free will, what made this happen, what the Titans actually are, no one knows yet except the author.

I sincerely suggest you to watch at least a couple of episodes, while being unbiased and going into a watching experience without prior negativity. If it doesn't appeal to you drop it, if it does continue watching and join us in the weekly discussions :)

Madame Peregrine, Cpt., Machi and 4 others like this.
  3. Freeze

Freeze

Bounty Points:
    i was planning to read attack on titan till i saw how shitty the serie is on simons screen so i can tell you you are not the only one and i didn't see the serie either but after that i know it sucks

4. Riley Escobar

Riley Escobar The Villain Wanted

Bounty Points:
    Just to say i havent neither picked up the series and probably aint gonna

5. Andre

Andre

Bounty Points:
    @Divvens basically just summed up everything for you.

6. Divvens

Divvens

Bounty Points:
    What did you see, I know you aren't someone to judge a series shitty just like that.
    --- Double Post Merged, Sep 8, 2013, Original Post Date: Sep 8, 2013 ---
    P.S Luc was talking about the manga not the anime.
    --- Double Post Merged, Sep 8, 2013 ---
    And people once again, if you watch something from between read random pages of manga of course you don't understand anything,

@simovich Luc said you spoke about missing art in this chapter - <Link Removed>?<removed>\

Something about them being in horses and then on ground again incomplete art etc. Tell me where you saw that, coz all I see them doing is using their 3dmg gear and maneuvering with it it isn't incomplete art.

Last edited: Jun 3, 2017
  7. simovich

simovich

Bounty Points:
    @Divvens, i'll tell you in short why i dislike Attack on Titan. I'll give you the manga chapter tomorrow.
    I watched 7 episodes and all manga chapters. So i'll edit this post tomorrow :p

Divvens likes this.
  8. UchaNekome

UchaNekome

Bounty Points:
    Umm well let me say I don't dislike it. (I never said that.) No I don't like Zombies...(Except the ones in One Piece) As for your explanations on things I really appreciate it. Most people just say "Oh it's really cool" or "It' good!" and I've had to go find info on it myself. Even so I feel as if it wouldn't be the kinda show that would suit me. I'll go read the manga first to see if I like it...

9. Divvens

Divvens

Bounty Points:
    Ok I'll wait for it :D

I ain't a huge AoT fan, but I'd like to know what your opinions are so that I can see it from both angles :p

Well, I've read only the manga but people suggest you start with the Anime. Since the Anime has arranged the "sequences" and "timeline" better and the art of the manga seems to be a big no-no for some people.

10. UchaNekome

UchaNekome

Bounty Points:
    Art doesn't bother me as much as it used to. I've noticed in Shonen anime they ether go big or go cheap. Unfortunately One Piece is a bit of both. But at least the manga gets progressively better. And why wouldn't the mangaka got better at his art. I've noticed the same thing as I worked on my manga...In all honesty it just goes to show the story is more important most of the time...I will say this much...I bet you 90% of AOT's popularity comes from that rocking opening...God even I can't help liking it even though I'm so annoyed with all the hype AOT is getting. I know I shouldn't be saying that because I get all hyped up about One Piece, but I can't help it...All I love about One Piece can be summed up in the recent chapter...
    More particularly the parts with Bartolomeo and Blackbeard.
    There are very few series that actually have a character who represents the fans as well as as a bad guy you love to hate. And let's face it there are SO many more reasons to love One Piece...But I can't go comparing AOT to One Piece...After all there can only be ONE King of the Pirates...I mean best manga/anime in the world...

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 9, 2013
    Divvens likes this.
  11. Divvens

Divvens

Bounty Points:
    @UchaNekome while talking about manga content outside OP Manga forums (unless the thread allows it) please use spoiler tags since it can spoil the anime fans.

And I get what you mean, I don't like all the hype around it as well, but it's just the internet to blame for all that hype haha.

UchaNekome likes this.
  12. ETSI

ETSI

Bounty Points:
    i will give it a try too!! (a very short one)
    AoT gives you the chills and keeps you in the corner of your seat becauce you come to the position of the dramatic events that occur to humans! ...you feel terrorised and want titans to die in order your specie/kind to survive! and get revenge for the shit they were brought into!
    that's of the events that occur now! there maybe exist a twist plot like bad @Divvens spoiled lol

also you come to love the characters because of the agony and the desire for them to survive and succed their goals!

also it has the great power rasing that gives you hope and expectations

thats what keeps me with awe and make the show SPECIAL!.....of course it has the usual stuff that all the anime do!

about anime/manga....i love the art but the anime is outstanding work! not even a defect....

Last edited: Sep 9, 2013
    Divvens likes this.
  13. UchaNekome

UchaNekome

Bounty Points:
    Sorry I keep forgetting...:oops: But yeah Internet hype drives me nuts...

Divvens likes this.
  14. Divvens

Divvens

Bounty Points:
    What did I spoil :eek:

Indeed, about the characters you are true but someone brought up a valid point. Eren is weak, he mostly needs protecting and always talks big, sometimes those things can make the character get hate from others.

Internet hype is so silly, even hate can make things famous. But this is the first time I've seen the internet hype a series so much.

ETSI likes this.
  15. Immortal Regis Nex

Immortal Regis Nex

Bounty Points:
    Yeah I don't watch it either. I read the manga, skipped a dozen chapters here and there until I found myself waiting for updates. By that time City of Darkness and Feng Sheng Ji were updated and since Attack On Titan didn't leave any lasting impressions on me I never went back. I don't think it's bad at all or anything it just didn't have an impression on me. When it comes to hype whether it be online or in the real world I never listen to what other people are saying. People tend to hype things I utterly detest (Pacific Rim) and slam things I ultimately enjoy (Man of Steel). My advice the same as Divvens of course and that's to not judge a book by its cover. At the same time though when you're looking at something and it doesn't sound like it's something you can get into then it probably isn't. And uh, ahem, we love you M. SHADOWS!! A7X ROCKS!!

Last edited: Sep 10, 2013
    Divvens likes this.
  16. UchaNekome

UchaNekome

Bounty Points:
    You mean the band? Yeah their cool...

Immortal Regis Nex likes this.
  17. JoyceW-Art

JoyceW-Art

Bounty Points:
    When I heard of Attack on Titan, I first caught up with the anime.

In my honest opinion, I think that this is one of the rare cases where the anime is better than the manga.
    The anime has a great combination of music, animation, color and style.
    Also the scenes are displayed greatly in my opinion and the ending of the first episode actually convinced me to watch it further.
    When compared to the manga, I find the scenes in the anime much more emotional and they affect me much more than the ones in the manga.
    And just like @Divvens said; you should always watch an episode first, before judging it. After the first episode however, you get a good impression of the quality of the anime in both sound and vision. However, as the story goes on, there are even better scenes that are even better than the first episode, but you have to watch some episodes first before you get there.

There are many people who only watch the anime and don't read the manga, since they don't like the style or want to be spoiled etc.
    I think that the anime is also more clear in certain circumstances about the happenings than the manga is.

Actually, this anime and One Piece are the only anime I am following now and taking time for them.

I hope you'll at least try one episode, but I won't judge you if you don't ;)

Death72, ETSI, natassa and 1 other person like this.
  18. natassa

natassa

Bounty Points:
    AoT/SNK is AMAZING!!!

And who says that Eren sucks?! He's so like anybody else! If I'd been in his shoes, I'd be saying the same words. But when it comes to proving, every person has a short hand, right? That is why we are humans! XD

It is indeed very mutilating and very gory, but it still gives you the chills. It also tells you that life ain't happy-go-lucky and that you may end up dead, the next thing you know. But people who are actually still surviving knows how to skip death for a day or two. It's uncertainty. And most of all, the despair faced by humans that they are very insignificant as compared to many powerful things. The goal is to survive. And the battlefield is the earth. XD

Go for anime or manga, its your choice. I started off with the manga. And believe me, it's worth your EVERY single time. Just like OP.

I think I am the only one here who REALLY likes Hajime-sensei's art. It.Is.To.Die.For! Not even Kishimoto-sensei could conjure up characters like Eren!

Death72, Divvens, ETSI and 1 other person like this.
  19. Akita Caune Umakume

Akita Caune Umakume

Bounty Points:
    i wont recommend:shy: it cause i know you wont like it.

Death72 likes this.
  20. Stray_mind

Stray_mind

Bounty Points:
    You're definitely not the only one who likes Hajime Isayama's art. I love it. And it improves So much during the years! It really fits the athmosphere of the manga.

As to why AoT anime is so popular, well, it has everything people want from an anime series:

Great art and animation
    Good, mysterious storyline,
    Badass characters (it appeals to the younger public)
    Angst and drama
    Only a few fillers
    Amazing OST

I prefer manga though, but i can see why people like it.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice