Discussion How should I enjoy this series?

Discussion in 'Hunter x Hunter' started by Blade4693, Sep 29, 2016.

Share This Page

1. Blade4693

Blade4693

Bounty Points:
    So as a huge fan of Yu Yu Hakusho I was always interested in HXH but never got around to watching it until the English dub of the 2011 version of the anime started being shown on Toonami in April and I am LOVING it so far but realizing there is 148 episodes and realizing that if I watch it only when toonami shows it once a week, it could take forever to finish it so I am wondering should I just read the manga? Or should I watch the show subbed? Or just stick with the dub once a week?

Pretty much I just want opinions on what you guys think is the best way for me to read/watch this excellent series. I love it and really want to binge it all right now, but idk if I should or just enjoy it slowly.

2. DizzyBrows

DizzyBrows

Bounty Points:
    All comes to what you prefer personally. For me, the anime is the best way and I like subbed more than the dubbed honestly. I haven't read the manga, but I have heard that it is pretty good, but is lacking in terms of artwork. Also, the author is known for taking extremely long hiatuses once in a while after coming back for a few chapters so if you do choose to read the manga just be aware of that being a thing that you are just going to have to deal with. And another thing, make sure to enjoy the series at your own pace mate.

3. Blade4693

Blade4693

Bounty Points:
    Well I typically prefer English Dub if I can get it but as you know, the only way to watch hxh that way currently is waiting to see one EP every week which is fine I guess I do it with DB Super but I kind of want to binge it lol I am so excited to see what happens next and I really want to get to the Chimera Ant Arc! I read the Hisoka one shot of the manga which was pretty cool, but because I am just finishing up the 21st episode of the show I think there was stuff I didn't pick up on lol

Thanks for the reply btw!

4. Turtle

Turtle

Bounty Points:
    I would honestly say that anyone wanting to get into HxH should straight up watch the 2011 anime. No offense to Togashi, but his art has been fairly inconsistent over the many years of its serialization. (Some chapters are literally scribbles.) Madhouse's adaptation is just perfection and really makes HxH the top tier series that is imo. Not to mention the anime at least gives you some kind of satisfying conclusion, while the manga still struggles with frequent lengthy hiatuses and is currently stuck in the beginning of a new arc.

As for subbed vs dubbed... that's on you man. I thought the Japanese cast was great, and from what I've seen of the English dub that version seems pretty okay too. As you said, though, it's only being aired on Toonami right now so it's going to be awhile for the dub to finish. (Unless Viz starts releasing episodes elsewhere, apparently they're doing DVD/Blu ray releases but I think that probably only covers the stuff that's aired)

If you don't like reading subs I must warn you that Hunter x Hunter is a VERY dialog heavy series at times. There's literally episodes where the narrator is pretty much talking the entire time lol.

SilverDragon, kronika and Blade4693 like this.
  5. El-pachinko

El-pachinko

Bounty Points:
    i'll enjoy manga generally , but for HXH , 2011 anime is the best option to enjoy it

Blade4693 likes this.
  6. Blade4693

Blade4693

Bounty Points:
    Thanks for the length reply! I don't mind reading subs one bit, at this point it's just a matter of do I want to watch it all asap, or kind of do it the slow burn route waiting for the dub so I thought I would ask a bit to see what everyone things is the best.

I am beginning to think I should just go ahead and start the subbed version so I can enjoy the show. I really like it so far and waiting all week for a single episode is getting tough lol

Turtle likes this.
  7. LogicoftheVI

LogicoftheVI

Bounty Points:
    I have only watched the 2011 anime on Netflix recently. I really enjoyed it might pick up the manga for the end of the Hunter election arc soon.

Blade4693 likes this.
  8. Putu

Putu

Bounty Points:
    Enjoy the anime first, after then catch up their manga, it's great :)

Blade4693 and LogicoftheVI like this.
  9. Shu

Shu

Bounty Points:
    the first thing is try to watch Hunter × Hunter 1999 version then catch up with Manga!

LogicoftheVI likes this.
  10. Just a member

Just a member

Bounty Points:
    For me it is always "read the manga" first, if you have time and enjoy it then you can also try the anime (usually never do it since a 5 minutes chapter becomes a 20-30 minutes show and all the difference is 99/100 filler non canon crap), afterall it is not the usual crappy TOEI. I heard a very good house made one or more seasons so animations, at least there, should be very good.

Anyway, for me manga first, anime optional, the real problem here is that you can read up to chapter 366 (current one at this moment) problem is the cronical hiatus which are very annoying, so maybe before catching to the last chapters it would be good to let him finish this arc before you enter it, so if arrive at the start of this give him some years and maybe if we all are lucky the arc will end in that span of time.

11. Finalbeta

Finalbeta

Bounty Points:
    I prefer 1999 anime version but it's just me really.

Technically 2011 graphics should be enhanced, it's only the style that changes..

12. Raienryuu

Raienryuu

Bounty Points:
    Tbh I prefer the manga over the anime in general but with the manga you are going to have to deal with some really questionable art.. if it is off putting for you I would say go with the anime cause the art does im prove quite a far bit after where the anime ends.

13. Ashhole Gaming

Ashhole Gaming

Bounty Points:
    ok, u can watch the original like till the exam is over, there were bits that were in the original exam that wasn't in the 2011 ver.

but in terms of weather to watch or read, i would go for watch the anime, and also in the sub ver, because its done.
    the dub is taking wayyyy too long... and trust me, Japanese Leorio is the best!.

of cause when you're done with the anime, and feel down as hell... because well, its over....for now....
    then continue with the manga!,

my last advise, have lots of food and drinks, esp during the exam arc, and take it slow, because the manga is taking it's own sweet time.

PS. Apologizes for being late..... like a year.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice