Discussion Gintama [Manga General Discussion]

Discussion in 'Gintama' started by Gin-San, Jul 25, 2013.

Share This Page

1. Gin-San

Gin-San

Bounty Points:
    Gintama.png
    -----------------------------------------------------------
    Gintama

Genres: Action, Comedy, Parody,Samurai, Sci-Fi, Shounen

Author and Artist: Hideaki Sorachi

Published: Shueisha

English publisher: Viz Media

Serialization: Shounen Jump (Weekly)

Synopsis: The samurai didn't stand a chance. First, the aliens invaded Japan. Next, they took all the jobs. And then they confiscated everyone's swords. So what does a hotheaded former samurai like Sakata "Gin" Gintoki do to make ends meet? Take any odd job that comes his way, even if it means losing his dignity.

Description: The story focuses on an eccentric samurai, Gintoki Sakata, his (partial) apprentice Shinpachi Shimura, and a teenage alien girl who's from one of the strongest races in existence: Kagura. All three are "free-lancers" search for work in order to pay the monthly rent, which usually goes unpaid anyway. The story takes place in the Edo Period, but instead of the Europeans invading in the late 1860s they are invaded by aliens, which they call Amanto.

The story is set in the late Edo period. Humanity is attacked by aliens called "Amanto". The samurai of Japan join the battle against the aliens, but when the Shogun realizes the power of aliens, he betrays the samurai and surrenders to the aliens. The Shogun writes an unequal contract with aliens which allows the aliens to enter the country and places a ban on carrying swords in public. The swords of samurai are taken away so they can no longer resist the aliens. After that the Shogunate becomes a puppet government.

The plot is focused on an eccentric samurai, Gintoki Sakata (aka Odd Jobs Gin) who helps a teenager named Shinpachi Shimura save his sister Tae from a group of aliens who want to make her part of a brothel. Impressed with Gintoki, Shinpachi becomes his apprentice and works with him as a freelance odd-jobs man in order to pay the monthly rent on Gintoki's combination home and office, as well as to know more about him.

The two of them rescue a teenage alien girl named Kagura from a group of Yakuza who wanted to use her superhuman strength to kill people. Kagura joins Shinpachi and Gintoki to work as freelancers and the three become known as "Yorozuya".

While doing their job, they encounter the police force Shinsengumi several times, who normally ally with Odd Jobs Gin in their work since the jobs commonly involve dangerous criminals. They eventually meet some of Gintoki's former comrades from the fight against the Amanto's invasion, including the revolutionary Kotaro Katsura who maintains a friendly relationship with them despite his terrorist activities against the bakufu. On the other hand, Shinsuke Takasugi acts as a major antagonist throughout the series, as he wants to destroy the bakufu and sees his former comrades as enemies.

Although the series' story is commonly episodic, there are also a few story arcs which are developed through several chapters. Across several story arcs Takasugi starts gaining allies including Kagura's brother, Kamui, and the elite unit Mimawarigumi to prepare for his large scale coup d'état.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------
    From the Wikipedia page
    Hideaki Sorachi's main focus in Gin Tama is the use of gags; during the manga's second year of serialization he started to add more drama to the story while still keeping the comedy. Various jokes from the manga are comments regarding clichés from other shōnen series. For example, in the first chapter after Gintoki fights a group of aliens to protect Shinpachi and Tae, Shinpachi complains that he only fought for "one page" and Gintoki replies, "Shut up! One page is a long time for a manga artist!" Gintoki's exaggerated desire to read the Weekly Shōnen Jump (which causes him to fight other readers in order to get it) also makes fun of shōnen, since during those parts characters quote them. Other types of comic situations are more general, so that the reader must know about Japanese culture to understand them. The humour is described by publications as being "bizarre" and "weird". It is also described as being divided between two categories: "sci-fi comedy" and a "samurai comedy" with the former referring to the aliens. It tends to point out "an irritating foible about modern society" including celebrations days or famous mythical figures. Additionally, there are references to several historical figures with a few characters from the story being based on them. Besides the series' comedy, the aliens' invasion in Japan bring several social issues between them and the humans with the most recurring one being the lack of social equality. As a result, one of the main themes involves society trying to preserve their own way of living rather than fulfilling a dream like in other shōnen series.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------
    From the Wikipedia page

Yharie, Yasumi, bob410 and 3 others like this.
  2. Affiliates Guest Advertisement

3. Sengoku

Sengoku

Bounty Points:
    Gintama the anime is absolutely is amazing. Not sure about the manga.

Yasumi, hiken and Gin-San like this.
  4. MelfinaPan

MelfinaPan

Bounty Points:
    Sigh...not too many posts here. Wakey wakey Gintama fans :)

This is another series I started reading more recently and it's funny as hell, even making fun of it own genre. I have a lot of catching up to do, but I'm enjoying it immensely.

hiken and Gin-San like this.
  5. Gin-San

Gin-San

Bounty Points:
    Its just the majority prefer in watching the anime than reading the manga

hiken and MelfinaPan like this.
  6. MelfinaPan

MelfinaPan

Bounty Points:
    I can understand that. It's a series that definitely begs to be animated.

7. Gin-San

Gin-San

Bounty Points:
  8. Brandon

Brandon

Bounty Points:
    Read it...

Seemed like a decent chapter... some nice backstory with some unneeded hype at the end... Sa-chan going to actually do something? Well, there is a first for anything

9. Enryu

Enryu

Bounty Points:
    really dissapointed at the ending of this one to be honest...I understand Gintama is a comedy manga first of all but it'd look so much better if Zenzou had died

10. Brandon

Brandon

Bounty Points:
    I can give you thought, though we, us two, already discussed how that it was kind of a letdown not to let the Shogun die... I mean, Gintama has these kinds of grim and dark scenes within the manga itself, so why not throw the world into turmoil?

11. Shafted

Shafted

Bounty Points:
    Yay Gintama thread
    Probably my favourite series, most certainly favourite Shonen anyway.
    Have just caught up with the manga if anyone else reads it.

OT: Think that Jump Fest Episode will kickstart the Anime back into action?

Last edited: Sep 30, 2014
  12. Schnarf

Schnarf

Bounty Points:
    definitely the funniest series i've ever watched/read

13. Shafted

Shafted

Bounty Points:
    Most anticipated Shonen Jump battle next week or what

14. Gin-San

Gin-San

Bounty Points:
  15. Shafted

Shafted

Bounty Points:
  16. Takt

Takt

Bounty Points:
    WAIT WAIT WAIT
    I SAID WAIT GOD DAMN IT, SHUT UP. DID I JUST SEE GINTOKI VS TAKASUGI (yea, I don't read the manga generally, so I got spoilt, but I don't give a shit)?

WOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOHOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!

blaze, hiken, Gin-San and 1 other person like this.
  17. Brandon

Brandon

Bounty Points:
    Knowledge is reading ;)

18. Enryu

Enryu

Bounty Points:
    holy shi...the feels

this flashback chapter was so awesome! @Brandon correct me if I'm wrong but it seemed like Takasugi was unaware of their sensei being taken away and only came to know about it after the war :eek:

19. Gin-San

Gin-San

Bounty Points:
  20. Brandon

Brandon

Bounty Points:
    You burned my eyes

Well yea, seems that way indeed... It might explain his toxicity towards all the motives of Gintoki, but what strikes me as odd - it has been literally years, seeing as how Gintoki was a mere child when their teacher got killed...

hiken likes this.
  21. Shafted

Shafted

Bounty Points: