Eiichiro Oda and Kohei Horikoshi interview

Discussion in 'My Hero Academia' started by Beky, Aug 4, 2018.

Share This Page

1. Beky

Beky Nerf This <3 Wanted Cracker Katakuri

Bounty Points:
    Don't even bother with him. He has little to no understanding of the Manga yet pretends to know it all

Ariadne_Wyvern and Name Is C like this.
  2. Van Reich

Van Reich

Bounty Points:
    I swear almost every person who says MHA is trash can't even properly explain why.....they just claim its trash or make up completely false statements.

3. Beky

Beky Nerf This <3 Wanted Cracker Katakuri

Bounty Points:
    Because it is Edgy and Cool to throw hate at popular stuff. Plus must of them saw Deku at the start like most characters and forgot there is a thing called character development

4. Chris Mic

Chris Mic

Bounty Points:
    This is not true anymore. It used to be. But he's been very clearly paying attention and giving spotlight to characters who need it a lot, like Aoyama, Jiro, not to mention he stated he will flesh out more Shoji, Shinsou, and Hagakure will be focused on. Obviously the main characters will always have more spotlight than the others, it's impossible for that not to happen in shounen unless you are Hirohiko Araki.

Good thing Horikoshi gave the middle finger in the biggest possible way to all those who kept comparing MHA to Naruto. There was a danger for that to happen, with Bakugou being kidnapped and then persuaded to be a villain but he attacked the villains like ''what did you idiots expect, I am a hero'' and shit, it was beautiful. Since the Hideout Raid arc, I've never heard a ''MHA = Naruto lol'' argument again. Until now, of course.

@Beky I will move the thread.

AyoKiku, Dragomir, Yaksha and 4 others like this.
  5. JioFreed

JioFreed

Bounty Points:
    I don't think Oda was criticizing Horikoshi with the issue of dealing with a lot of characters, to me it was more like an advice since he himself is having problems with the same thing.

Kuma_Rockz and Ariadne_Wyvern like this.
  6. RobertoTheOharaSurvivor

RobertoTheOharaSurvivor

Bounty Points:
  7. Ariadne_Wyvern

Ariadne_Wyvern

Bounty Points:
    Exactly.

8. The Curly Haired Ninja

The Curly Haired Ninja

Bounty Points:
    Shit didn't see these replies. To clear this up.

@Beky @Vandenreich @Chris Mic . I didn't mean it was like Naruto, in the plot kind of sense. I'm fully aware Horikoshi didn't go the Naruto plot wise. What I meant was in how Kishimoto didn't know how to handle his characters as well. It's just my personal opinion that in combat, he's given way too much focus to Izuku and not enough to his other rivals or classmates ( Not counting the one off which was Kirishima). Similarly Kishimoto done the same with Naruto and Sasuke, and he neglected Konoha 11 and other Village allies. OP does a better job with its combat. Shown in fighting arcs such as Dressrosa....where side characters ( gladiators) all recieved their own personal victory.

I might be a bit heavily biased against MHA because of how we don't see enough of Todoroki and Bakugo combat wise. Yes I get Deku is the main character....but Zoro and Sanji get way more than what Todoroki and Bakugo get.

Anyways I still like MHA. Not as much as I used to. But I'll keep reading in hopes to find less Deku centric arcs.

Last edited: Aug 8, 2018
    Hisoka_05 likes this.
  9. Thabeast

Thabeast

Bounty Points:
    Naruto is leagues above MHA tho. It only went to shit after Pain.

10. Echi

Echi

Bounty Points:
    It's exactly like MHA. Oda is All Might and Horikoshi is Deku.

JioFreed and Chris Mic like this.
  11. Name Is C

Name Is C

Bounty Points:
    It depends on the reader. I don't know what criterias do you use to determine a good manga but in my eyes (criterias) MHA turns Naruto into dust.

I see that especially in the youtube comments MHA gets a lot of hate. I assume that a lot of "common consumers" don't like MHA.

For example I'm a big fan of FROMSoftware's Soulsborne series but this series rather cares about his fans and not about making a Witcher 3-style mass consumer game and because of this reason the series is less popular then CoD, BF or GoW.

Because of these reasons I listed above I recommend you using the sentence "In my eyes".

12. Deepriver

Deepriver

Bounty Points:
    This is so wrong in so many levels, first of all MHA doesnt do things the same way as others shonens, here the problems and developments arent reduced to 1vs1 matches, is more about overcoming any kind of obstacles a kid like these may have, linked with the themes of heroism the series carries. Dont forget that not everyone has quirks suited for fights and are more for rescue or support situations.

The reason why Deku has various major fights compared to the rivals or others characters, isnt because he is just the MC, is because he is in a mission to make All Might powers their own and become the next n1 hero, his character arc revolves around that basically, there is no other way to showcase that rather than fighting big foes that helps him to reach new levels in his abilities, a diference of Todoroki or Bakugo whose character arcs go by other routes, like Shoto in having a different path than his father and making a name on his own, or Bakugo in having a slow redemption arc starting from having a more sane relationship with Deku and a better fit as a person and hero. Challenges like the Hero license exam and then the remedial courses where they showcase and try to overcome their flaws as characters are currently more important than just a 1vs1 fight against a villain.

The same for the other characters, Kirishima got his own moment and fight because he had some inner struggles he needed to overcome from long time ago in terms of bravery against danger, and from there he now tries to get better. Other character also had gotten their time to shine but not precisely in major fight but rather in situations where they can overcome some issues and help others, Momo and her development in taking decisions, Ida and his deviated path of heroism, Aoyama and his inferiority complex, Kaminari and his path to use his quirks without hurting his friends around, Tokoyami, Jiro etc. Not everything will be around 1v1 matches, this is not that kind of shonen, the characters will always have ways to show what they are made of without being just reduced to a 1vs1 sludgefest of feats. These are kids learning to be superheroes, and the current cirscunstances of Deku are different than the others, but that doesnt mean Horikoshi forgets about everyone else, because so far Horikoshi handles much better his sides than Naruto.

Last edited: Sep 23, 2018
    AyoKiku and Dragomir like this.
  13. The Curly Haired Ninja

The Curly Haired Ninja

Bounty Points:
    This argument ended weeks ago. Like hell I'm going to read that.

14. Deepriver

Deepriver

Bounty Points:
    Lol what? the thread is still open for more replies, so it doesnt matter the time that passes since the last post, anyone can still post or reply whatever and whenever he wants as long as the thread is open, so "ended" my ass.

You are free to read or not my posts aswell as respond them, i dont really care but i just wanted to make clear some points while i was passing by.

15. The Curly Haired Ninja

The Curly Haired Ninja

Bounty Points:
    Alright then.

16. Byakuya21

Byakuya21

Bounty Points:
    I love your avatar picture by the way. I'm going through Kenichi and man am I loving it. But I digress. I'm happy you have made note that MHA is the anti-Naruto. While naysayers and critics will point at the comparisons, they are superficial at best. These being the in-training stuff with Heroes as with Naruto with Ninjas in training(Part one) and the whole rivalry/ levels and organization etc.

The difference is how the story is told. MHA's narrative one can easily argue it is very repetitive. And while valid, I argue it comes with the territory when it comes to superhero fiction. I know plenty of my friends who are OPM fans have said has a better narrative than MHA but I won't directly comment on this as I haven't seen the series.

What MHA I argue does well is the subversion aspect. Specifically, Horikoshi introducing slight ones in the story. The best example is Midoriya loosing the Sports Festival Arc so early in the series. Seriously, I never thought that would actually happen. And even if Deku would lose, you'd think he'd make it to the finals.

Overall, MHA's plot is repetitive, but if one actually plots out the sequence of events and analyzes the casualty of the series; it is actually impressive. It is not a deconstruction, like HXH, but MHA doesn't need to. It is just a very solid SJ series in my view.

17. Charlotte_katakuri

Charlotte_katakuri

Bounty Points:
    Sanji would kill mineta:madmonk:..

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice