Discussion Demon Hiearchy/Speculation

Discussion in 'The Promised Neverland' started by LogicoftheVI, Jun 20, 2017.

Share This Page

1. LogicoftheVI

LogicoftheVI

Bounty Points:
    !!!!Warning for those who have not yet read this series or are not yet fully caught up. This thread contains major spoilers!!!
    You have been warned.
    The Promised Neverland introduces us to the Demons early on. We aren't given much information about them in the first few chapters but with recent events and upon closer inspection I now see we have actually been given a lot more details about them. We have seen various demons and have also had one state out right that there are other "kinds" out there. This was proven very quickly with the introduction of the Wild Demons. In the facility and I assume in this society there appears to be a form of Demon hierarchy. In this theory/speculation I will attempt to put this hierarchy into focus and hopefully get the answers I don't have from other loyal fans of the series. Big thanks once again to @Raycont for proofreading and going over ideas with me.
    In the later stages of chapter 1 Emma and Norman get their first glimpse of the menacing demons. The first two introduced are nameless and appear to be low level grunts. Their conversation lends itself to this idea as one says he wants to eat just a fingertip and the other tells him no because this is a high quality product for the rich. Thus letting us know these two Demons' status in their own society is towards the lower end of the spectrum. As they place the goods in a jar they are greeted by another Demon who appears to be named Gupna. He is clearly their superior and appears to be a very important Demon around the facility(more on this later). Gupna gives Isabella orders to pluck the top 3 scorers before smelling something and finding Benny (Conney's stuffed Rabbit).
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG][​IMG]

Sadly this is all we see of the Demons for the first 6 chapters (at least from a point of view that isn't someone's thoughts). In chapter 7 Isabella is seen making a report and we are introduced to a variety of Demons and the idea about a hierarchy is really cemented for me. Here we have a meeting around what appears to be a dining table. We have who appears to be Isabella and Grandma's boss (lets call him Epic Mask Demon), who appears to answer to what I assume is the Demon Lord/King/God. Surrounding the table are other Demons who appear to be above Gupna and the lower ranked demons we met in chapter 1 but obviously not on the level of the Epic Mask Demon. There is lots of speculation to be had about the guys around the able but I will save that for the discussion below.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG][​IMG]
    [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]
    [​IMG][​IMG]
    After chapter 7 we do not see any Demons outside of the hand that killed Krone until the kids begin their escape and the alarm is sounded in chapter 35. From here to chapter 43 we get what I feel is a pretty good look into the Demon Hierarchy. In chapter 35 Gupna can be seen issuing orders to lower ranked Demons (a few with swords) and this continues on into chapter 36, and 38 as well. We also see some Giant Demons that tower over other Demons and the human in what appears to be a holding pen? Not sure where these rank in the grand scheme of the hierarchy but I would probably place them at around or slightly below the level of the Hunting Dog Demons (more to come shortly).
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    To this point we can guess there are likely different races or types of Demons just based on the various demons we have seen to this point. Not only the ones around the table but Gupna, the Giants, and the other underling Demons. In chapter 40 we get a look at Epic Sword Demon and his pack of Hunting Dog Demons. These Demons, though seeming like animals, also have the ability to speak. We are also introduced to the idea of other kinds of Demons with Epic Sword Demons words (though he appears to be talking about the trees). Not long after this idea is first introduced we are introduced to a Wild Demon that tries to devour the kids. Epic Sword Demon swoops in and saves Ray calling the Wild Demon an "insolent knave" to me suggesting that this may be what he was talking about earlier. Here we get a better look at the relationship between ESD and his Hunting Dog Demons as well as the some of the abilities of these Hunting Dog Demons. While all the Demons seem to have an increased sense of smell it appears the Hunting Dog Demons have an even stronger sense being able to tell that no humans had been eaten by the Wild Demon. This imo show's their place among the Demons as one of the lowest ranked among them. Epic Sword Demon can be seen radioing to someone (I assume Gupna) that they have found the children. Below are pictures of ESD, HDD, and wild Demon
    EPIC SWORD DEMON
    © by @Raiden
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG][​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG][​IMG]

Hunting Dog Demons
    [​IMG][​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG][​IMG]

Wild Demon
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG][​IMG]

The two demons who have had the most screen time thus far are Epic Sword Demon (see above) and Gupna. So I will use this section to detail what we know about each of Gupna specifically in more detail.
    Gupna imo is obviously a very important Demon around the facility.
    He is first seen collecting Coney and seems to be the highest ranking Demon there.
    He is next seen giving a report to the Boss of the Facility (Epic Mask Demon) around a dining table.
    He was in both Isabella's and Ray's flashbacks.
    He was the one giving out orders for 3 chapters when the kids first escapes.
    It appears that Epic Sword Demon and others reports to him directly.​
    Gupna:
    Do Demons Wear Masks?:
    @Raycont brought the Epic Mask Demon to my attention and I tried to take it a step further. It also appears that Demons wear masks and that is not actually their real face. While I don't have a lot of information on this topic right now there is some evidence to support the idea. The Demon at the head of the dining table has his eyes aligned horizontally while the other demons are vertical. Upon close inspection it appears he also has the vertical eyes but his mask has what appear to be horizontal ones as well (though they are blacked out). I am not sure that this may mean for his face under the mask or if it's more to do with his status among the demon society? See pictures of Epic Mask Demon in an above spoiler.
    In chapter 1 it appears that one of the lower level demons lifts his mask when discussing how tasty Coney looked. In the 1st picture he puts his hand on his mask, 2nd picture he is lifting the mask, 3rd picture mask appears to be resting on top of his head.
    In chapter 42 Emma makes reference to how the Wild Demon reminds her of the demon who (I believe) lifted his mask. Even commenting on how the face looks the same.
    In chapter 40 it appears the Hunting Dog Demons mouths hang out under their masks.
    In chapter 43 we get another look at the Hunting Demons mouths as well as what appears to be Epic Sword Demon reaching under his mask to whistle.​

What we know:
    Demons are intelligent and can speak human language.
    Demons can operate machinery as we see one driving a truck in chapter 1.
    Demons can use weapons as seen by Epic Sword Demon.
    Demons have a society where some human are used as almost slaves and some are food.
    Demons have a whole hunting/tracking unit ready for possible escapes.​
    So here is what we got for hierarchy so far:
    • Demon King (Crazy name)​
    • Epic Mask Demon (Facility Boss/Isabella and Grandma's Boss?)​
    • Gupna (He seems to be important we'll call him Facility Manager)​
    • Epic Sword Demon (Name says it all)​
    • Hunting dog-demons​
    What I don't know is:
    • Those 2 Demons who collected Coney the seem to answer directly to Gupna​
    • The Demons around the table they seem to be just under the facility boss (Epic Mask Demon)​
    • The Giant Demons seem to be part of the search team?​
    • Any others random Demons I missed​

Last edited: Jun 21, 2017
  2. Raycont

Raycont

Bounty Points:

Finally this theory is out.
    Awesome work, Logic.^^

What I wanted to bring up is the idea that the amount of horns that the Demon masks have could potentially have deeper meaning though at the moment I have no idea what that could be.

We discussed the possibility of it indicating rank or a certain district?
    What do you think?

Coton, Lindltaylor, Kagura and 3 others like this.
  3. Shu

Shu

Bounty Points:
    whoa take it easy bruh. well done that was deep research. keep it up. thanks for the share as always

Coton, Lindltaylor, Kagura and 4 others like this.
  4. LogicoftheVI

LogicoftheVI

Bounty Points:
    I couldn't put anymore pictures into it but these caught my attention as well. In this first chapter the fat short Demon is actually driving the truck that has Coney's container in it.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

5. Jakubi

Jakubi

Bounty Points:
    Epic research presented epicly
    Hmm, the number of horns could be a way to identify different clans?

6. Raycont

Raycont

Bounty Points:
    Good idea, that could be the case.

7. Jakubi

Jakubi

Bounty Points:
    Also the wild demon has no horns at all

8. Raycont

Raycont

Bounty Points:
    There are demons at the table without horns, too. :camthinking:

I think the wild demon just doesn't wear a mask and that's why he doesn't have horns

Coton, Lindltaylor, Kagura and 2 others like this.
  9. Spoiler Alert

Spoiler Alert

Bounty Points:
    One word from me to describe this is speechless.
    When you mentioned masks for some reason it reminded me of hollows from the Bleach who have lost their hearts because of regret and despair and because of that they have those masks on their faces.

10. LogicoftheVI

LogicoftheVI

Bounty Points:
    the horns appear to be on the masks though. The Wild Demon doesn't have a mask yet Emma makes mention of how the face is the same and she remembers them very well. I could be wrong but I'm assuming the horns aren't a regular feature.

11. Raiden

Raiden

Bounty Points:
    I LOVE HOW YOU CALLED HIM EPIC SWORD DEMON. © by Raiden

That was a great read again. I really appreciate your work, guys! I totally agree with the idea of them wearing masks. I noticed it myself, and for me its actually pretty obvious. But I don't know if there's a deeper meaning to specific mask patterns or horns. Thats a wild guess for now. The Epic Sword Demons and Gupna's masks aren't looking extremely special to me, while the leader from the dining table was quite flashy with his accessories. There is a certain hierarchy, but its not visible for now. All we know is that Gupna has a higher status and some ties to the big boss(es).

Im curious as to why they are putting those masks on the lowly class dog/hunting demons. Maybe to identify allies or accept them as "better" specimen. Interesting.

I think my font just fucked up and I can't pick the normal one lol :smuggrin:

12. LogicoftheVI

LogicoftheVI

Bounty Points:
    Updated gotta give credit where credit is due. I love that name...you know I had to use it!

I'm defiantly interested in learning the significance of the Masks. I'm thinking if there are different species/groups of Demons then they very well could be to distinguish themselves from other groups?

I have a vague but general understanding of this Demon hierarchy so far. We have a few other Demons like Gunpa's 2 underlings, the Giants, and the ones at the dining table who we're not really sure where they fit into the grand scheme of things yet. Basically I see it like this:
    The Hunting Dog Demons answer to Epic Sword Demon
    Epic Sword Demon answers to Gupna
    Gupna answers to Epic Mask Demon (factory boss).
    Epic Mask Demon answers to who every the Tafari is for.

13. Raycont

Raycont

Bounty Points:
  14. LogicoftheVI

LogicoftheVI

Bounty Points:
    now that you mention it the Demons do somewhat resemble Hollows to an extent. I hope their while clique can be as memorable as the Arancar were. After doing this in at the point where I want more named Demons. I'm also curious to see what humanity has come up with to combat this foe as well?

For only showing us Demons a handful of times there sure is a lot of information. I even missed the one in Krone's backstory where the Scientist was talking with the Demon.

Coton, Lindltaylor, Raycont and 2 others like this.
  15. DuttyAsmodeus

DuttyAsmodeus

Bounty Points:
    Awesome read! I wonder when we are going to get insight via the manga. There is still so much we dont know. And everything about demons fall herein.

16. Kagura

Kagura

Bounty Points:
    It was a nice read! Great research!

What bothers me is the alignment of the eyes. Some of the demons have vertically places eyes while the EMD (In the table) had horizontally placed eyes. And not a single other demon had similar feature. They all looked similar to Gupna but with slightly different mask designs. One of the demon even had two heads. That's what bothers me.

Their is clearly a hierarchy and this EMD is on top of it, probably the king. All these vertical eyed ones are his subordinates. Hope in the festival we get to see more such demons from the royal family.

Now for the low ranking ones, yes, I feel that they are same or used to be same like the wild one that attacked Ray. It hasn't been masked yet. The demons must have some kind of process to take these wild beasts and make them part of their army as foot soldiers. The mask is an integral part of that.

Come to think of it these demons have cutting edge technology. So maybe these wild demons are genetically modified or tampered in the brain after which they start taking orders. That's what I can think of for now.

Again, very nice work in putting all these together!!!

17. Raycont

Raycont

Bounty Points:
    The weird thing is, at the table there appear to be 2 other demons with horizontal and vertical eyes.

The first one is the one with 4 horns who sits on the left of Epic Mask Demon and the other one has 0 horns...

This is what kinda ruined the theory I had about the horizontal eyes indicating rank or something.

18. Lindltaylor

Lindltaylor

Bounty Points:
    Wow. This theory was incredible. You know when you mention horizontal eyes and vertical eyes and that they may represent rank. I think the ones with horizontal eyes are those closer to the human anatomy?

Maybe the demons eat brains and especially well developed brains because they can absorb human intelligence? That would explain why the epic sword demon said "inferior knave" to the wild demon because it lacked intellegence like them. If other demons ate the special kid's brains maybe they can get some form of speech and thought, the more humans they eat the more intelligent and human like they become.

That's why the king had horizontal eyes evident that he's the most "evolved" demon cause he consumes most of the well developed brains? Their intelligence makes the heirarchy of the demons I think.

But great theory :D

19. Kagura

Kagura

Bounty Points:
    The demon at the back right ? Upon closer inspection the demon doesn't really have horizontal eyes. His face is tilted and he has vertical eyes as well.

20. Raycont

Raycont

Bounty Points:
    To me it looks like he could have them.
    But what you said could also be the case, it makes sense but what about the one with 0 horns? We even have a close up of him? I'm not sure if that qualifies as horizontal eyes but it's close imo

Edit: All of them have vertical eyes, Epic Mask Demon included

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice