1. This forum is dedicated for discussion of Theories & Speculations created using our Theories & Speculations platform.
    • To publish a new theory or speculation, click here
    • To see a list of all theories & speculations, read, rate and review click here

Bariete was the traitor who sold out Zou

Discussion in 'The Theory Archive' started by Joy_Boy, Jun 26, 2016.

Share This Page

?

Do you believe this theory?

1. YESSSSS!!!!

12 vote(s)
    40.0%
  2. Nope.

5 vote(s)
    16.7%
  3. Im not sure.

13 vote(s)
    43.3%
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Joy_Boy

Joy_Boy

Bounty Points:
    Hey guys, been awhile since I posted a theory on here, but this one is too persuasive to not share!!

You can watch it here

Or read below!
    ________________________________________________________________________________
    Firstly, I think there is a traitorous mink.
    [​IMG]
    Wanda explains the question for us.
    1. How did Jack FIND Zou
    [​IMG]
    2. Jack seemed to KNOW Raizo was there. It didn't look like a hunch or speculation, despite the minks repeated lies under torture he never once considered it possible Raizo wasn't there.
    [​IMG]
    Then later, Inurashi reveals his suspicion that Jack had a Vivre Card leading him to Zou
    [​IMG]
    So, this had to be someone that was on Zou at the time Jack arrived and seems highly likely to be a MINK, since they are the only people on that Island outside of Raizo himself. And if Jack had a vivre card of Raizo, there would be no way he wouldnt be able to follow it directly to him.

So this suggest to me that a Mink informed Kaido of Raizo's arrival on Zou, which is why Jack KNEW he was there, and led Jack there which is why Inurashi suspects they had a vivre card! So a Mink betrayed them!

There still remains the question that, if there was a traitorous mink, why didn't he inform jack of where the minks were hiding Raizo? I cant answer this convincingly, it is the one hole in this theory.
    ______________________________________________________________________________
    So now, I think this traitorous Mink is Bariete. Here's the evidence, pay close attention to his facial reactions in the panels below.

1. After Jack was defeated by Zunisha, only two people seemed to know what had happened. Keep in mind this sequence of events lasted only a few seconds from the time Jack started firing on Zunisha to the time he was wiped out. Momo saw through Zunishas' eyes and Bariete confirmed Jacks defeat.
    [​IMG]
    It seems as though Bariete might have known Jack was going to arrive.... and he certainly doesn't look happy about Jacks defeat.
    [​IMG]

2. Bariete was bribed by Carrot into allowing her to sneak onto the SH ship that was about to head to big mom.
    [​IMG]
    He seems to think it wasn't a big deal because "carrot [didn't] want to betray" anyone.... It seems as though he might have a guilty conscious. This is possible foreshadowing that Bariete has done far worse than this already... Also paints him as a character who would do anything in exchange for a bribe.

3. It also doesn't seem like he cares too much about what could happen to Carrot, since he has his banana he's happy.
    [​IMG]

4. And the Samurai finally make it to Zou, if you remember the minks have been waiting for the Samurai to arrive for quite some time. This is what the minks wanted, yet Bariete doesn't seem happy at all...
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Kin'emon speaks of "much misfortune", was Bariete sabotaging them?

5. immediately afterward, Kin'emon reveals that Bariete hasn't explained to them anything that has happened to Zou during their entire day voyage up Zunisha's leg.
    [​IMG]
    And he responds that he "doesn't know anything about anything", while looking pretty scared...
    This is definitely a lie, as it's implied just a panel later that he went to inform the Minks that the Samurai have arrived... Why would he lie?

6. Then rather than guide the Samurai to the minks, he runs off saying "this is a huge problem, I have to report this"
    [​IMG]
    WHY WOULD THIS BE A PROBLEM!?! This is what the minks wanted!!! And he wants to report this to.... the minks? They never got that report...

He probably went to report this to Jack.

7. *NOTE* This was pointed out to me, but this could be related to exhaustion rather than Laughing which actually makes more sense given the next panel!
    [​IMG]
    I know this looks weird, but literally no one else could be laughing except Bariete. You can check up on the context yourself, this is the very beginning of chapter 808.
    ______________________________________________________________________________
    SO, it seems pretty obvious! If there is a traitorous Mink, my money is on Bariete! Bariete is the traitor who sold out Zou!

Let me know what you think :)
    _____________________________________________________________________________
    Tags

Last edited: Jun 27, 2016
    vdg, Lulu758, mr.rister and 35 others like this.
  2. Aizen Soul Breeze

Aizen Soul Breeze

Bounty Points:
    Good job and through research @Joy_Boy I appreciate the tag by the way, I don't sift through the theory sections too often so it was refreshing to read this

kronika, Yasopp, FrankyG and 2 others like this.
  3. MasterD

MasterD

Bounty Points:
    Nice theory, but allow me to suggest this minks and the kouzuki clan have strong ties and the minks bow when they see a meber of the clan even if it's not theire leder so they have great respect for them so what if it wasn't a mink but a member of the clan that had high ambitions. How did kiemo arrived on zou? He might got a vibre card or knows a way to find zou. So ther is a higher possibility that the traitor it's actually a human and not a mink due to our nature

4. DizzyBrows

DizzyBrows

Bounty Points:
    Fun theory. I did like the monkey because I thought that he was pretty funny, but he has been on the DL most of the time so I can definitely see this being the case.

5. beck

beck

Bounty Points:
    Thats a good theory man! Great observation although i have to clarify one thing you misinterpreted at item 7

Haa... Haa... is a representation of exhaustion from running/moving too much (basically panting) he's most likely running really fast to inform the minks of the invaders because he is the lookout

Zaz, Kikodg78, Beli Rich and 4 others like this.
  6. Joy_Boy

Joy_Boy

Bounty Points:
    OH FUCK, lmao I knew that was too good to be true.

This makes sense!

Kuroh, Zaz, Beli Rich and 2 others like this.
  7. Yasopp

Yasopp

Bounty Points:
    It's a great theory, but it's only speculation. But Jack could possibly have a lot of sea slugs monitoring Zunisha's movements.

kronika, Joy_Boy and FrankyG like this.
  8. beck

beck

Bounty Points:
    With that said, bariete is a real possibilty dude, i can see him being the traitor

Zaz, kronika and Joy_Boy like this.
  9. kronika

kronika

Bounty Points:
    I always thought there was something fishy about him.
    Great post!!

FrankyG and Joy_Boy like this.
  10. beck

beck

Bounty Points:
    We'll have to see about that because the slugs might be exclusively a germa 66 thing...or maybe its a new world thing, but if thats the case then it shouldve been used worldwide like den den mushi

FrankyG, Joy_Boy and Yasopp like this.
  11. FrankyG

FrankyG

Bounty Points:
    Thanks for the tag :)

I'll agree that Bariete's behaviour is a bit weird but I don't think he is the traitor. Most of this happened while Oda was still hiding the plot twist about the Minks being allies to the Samurai.

Did all the Minks know where Raizo was being hidden? I don't think this is the case since Raizo was kept in the sacred whale forest which was under control of the Nekomamushi and the Night Minks. Inurashi aside it seems that only the 'birds' like Wando and Carrot that were free to go there as day minks. This could suggest that not all the Day Minks knew where Raizo was being kept.

With that in mind, if there was a traitor, I think it's most likely that Squirell chick Nami and Co saved at the start of Zou. I think its suspicious how she seemed to be the only one not affected/harmed by the poison gas.

Yasopp likes this.
  12. Yasopp

Yasopp

Bounty Points:
    If it's a Germa 66 thing, Jack or Kaidou could've bought the sea slugs from them, on that thought Zunisha could have been Kaido's territory and it was Jack who had it under him.

FrankyG likes this.
  13. beck

beck

Bounty Points:
    Thats true

FrankyG, Yasopp and Joy_Boy like this.
  14. L o g i a

L o g i a

Bounty Points:
    I never considered this possibility but I did see some dichotomies in Bariete's behaviour in accordance to consensus behaviour of the Minks. I thought it was dodgy translations because I never paid close attention to his facial expressions. But you may be correct man. However when Bariete rang the bell it sounds like he was panting after being beaten up, rather than laughing. As you know, characters have unique laughs and
    is not a unique laugh, so I doubt that is in itself evidence. In fact it's far more like Doflamingo panting after he broke free from Kuzan's Ice as can be seen below
    https://images1-focus-opensocial.googleuserconten****m/gadgets/proxy?container=focus&gadget=a&no_expand=1&resize_h=0&rewriteMime=image%2F*&url=http%3a%2f%2f2.bp.blogspo****m%2f-SqsIOXO3Km0%2fVjLPNJ3F0VI%2fAAAAAAAGCPE%2fbGcH-2fR8Yk%2fs16000%2f0699-005.jpg&imgmax=30000
    Other than this panel. I have no qualms with the evidence you've given, it's pretty solid.

However, the thing I noticed and questioned was why the Samurai's arrival was an issue. And seemingly he behaves odd throughout the Zou arc which I didn't notice, so you may be on to something. My question is what does Bariete have to gain from this? Why was he even in cahoots with the Beast Pirates in the first place? Screw the last one. How is probably a better question considering the isolationist policy of the Mink tribe members residing on Zunisha's back. Bariete exposed. Nice job man!

Do I believe this theory? I'm voting "YESSSSS!!!!". Yo @FrankyG you'll like this one!

Last edited: Jun 26, 2016
  15. Joy_Boy

Joy_Boy

Bounty Points:
    This is true, but even Oda doesn't straight up lie to us. Even in situations similar to this one, like for instance when Wanda reveals that the straw hat "corpses" can be found in the fortress, its revealed to be just a misunderstanding. Corpses refereed to Brook.

In this situation, Bariete saying this was a huge problem is straight up a lie. Oda doesnt do this.

This is my thinking on why Bariete didnt know where Raizo was, the minks only seemed to know he was bound and they didnt meet him until they had descended the whale tree and reached the forest, suggesting they didnt know Raizo was in the whale tree/ or weren't allowed to go to whale tree :)

But we just cant be very sure here...

There a panel which explains that some of the minks were able to survive the posion by hiding in the fortress, so I suspect thats where the deer mink was :) We can also see that she was being hunted by the remaining Kaido pirates!

FrankyG, Yasopp and Sir like this.
  16. Sir

Sir

Bounty Points:
    Great theory, Thanks for tagging me. I actually think Bariete could be the traitor after reading this.

Joy_Boy, FrankyG and Yasopp like this.
  17. Joy_Boy

Joy_Boy

Bounty Points:
    You are probably right about the panting :) Ive already edited the post!

I have some speculation on why the Samurai arriving was a problem. With all the samurai now on the island, and Jack somewhat decommisioned, the Samurai could then complete their mission of meeting up with Raizo, speak with the minks and then leave the island. I suspect that if Kaido found out that the Samurai had arrived on Zou and already left on Bariete's watch, he would have been quite pissed! Which is why Bariete needed to "report" this ASAP to be sure someone would arrive soon enough to catch them!

FrankyG and Yasopp like this.
  18. FrankyG

FrankyG

Bounty Points:
    Really? Missed that ;(

I don't count her out just yet though with her being hunted by Sheephead. That means they must have found her somehow, which could be because they spotted her treating some wounded minks, but also because of a Vivre Card :D

Bariette is also a good possibility though :yaaa:

Yasopp and Joy_Boy like this.
  19. Joy_Boy

Joy_Boy

Bounty Points:
    here ya go :)
    [​IMG]

Its also revealed later that the deer/ squirrel mink was a nurse/ doctor so it would make sense that she didnt participate in the battle!

Yasopp and FrankyG like this.
  20. L o g i a

L o g i a

Bounty Points:
    Yeah I think the same thing. But I still haven't a clue how, when, where or why Bariete would have formed ties with the Beast Pirates considering he, like most minks, is unlikely to have even left Zunisha's back. I can't see how Bariete would benefit from this, it's rather peculiar, but even so, all we need are answers. I do think Bariete is the most likely traitor.

It's possible we can question whether Bariete is even aware that he is betraying the Minks or whether, like Blackback and other Ape-Minks he is a very gullible and trusting character and was told that what he was doing would benefit the Mink tribe.

Yasopp, Joy_Boy and FrankyG like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice