News Attack on Titan Creator Discusses Anime's Increased Pace

Discussion in 'Attack On Titan' started by NieR, Jul 27, 2018.

Share This Page

1. NieR

NieR RADOUANE! Wanted Big Mom Smoothie

Bounty Points:
    [​IMG]

Viewers that turned in to the third season premiere of Attack on Titan might have noticed the episode's plot moved at a rapid pace. According to a blog post by series creator Hajime Isayama, this was at his own request. Isayama wrote on Tuesday that the manga's story from volumes 13-16 was slow, in part due to his own waning energy.

"Honestly," Isayama wrote. "It's like I was out of gas." He considered it a rather weak period for himself, so when it came to time for the anime's third season, this was a weak point he wanted to remedy beginning in the early stages of production.

"I requested that we reform it into a suitable scale for the role of the story," Isayama wrote. This meant a more "idealized" script was created. The script wasn't created by Isayama alone, and he credits Hiroshi Seko, the scriptwriter from previous seasons of Attack on Titan and the Attack on Titan: Lost Girls novel and OVA, for his expertise. He also credits chief director Tetsuro Araki for working within the guidelines for the series, the whole cast for bringing the characters to life, and the rest of the production staff.

Crunchyroll is streaming the series starting with the first episode's premiere on July 22. Funimation acquired the home entertainment, video on demand, and broadcast rights of the series in the U.S., Canada, U.K., Ireland, Australia, and New Zealand. Crunchyroll, Funimation, and Hulu are streaming the series as it airs, and Funimation will stream an English dub. Adult Swim's Toonami block will air the series starting on August 18.

The new season follows Eren and his companions in the 104th after being assigned to the newly-formed Levi Squad, whose assignment is to keep Eren and Historia safe given Eren's newly-discovered power and Historia's knowledge and pedigree. Levi and Erwin have good reason to be concerned, because the priest of the Church that Hange had hidden away was found tortured to death, making it clear that the Military Police are involved with the cover-up. Things get more harrowing when the MPs make a move on Erwin and the Levi Squad narrowly avoids capture. Eren is also having problems with his Titan transformation, and a deadly killer has been hired to secure Eren and Historia, one Levi knows all too well from his youth.

Source: Hajime Isayama's blog via Yara-on!

https://www.animenewsnetwork.com/in...reator-discusses-anime-increased-pace/.134677

2. Ban Midou

Ban Midou

Bounty Points:
    The only complaint I had with Attack on Titan was the pacing of some of the chapters....
    Glad to see that the anime will not be following the same foot steps. :) :D

NieR, Nico Robin and Nitwit like this.
  3. LogicoftheVI

LogicoftheVI

Bounty Points:
    This arc really was the weakest.. i'm glad to hear they are actively doing something to try and correct that.

4. Stray_mind

Stray_mind

Bounty Points:
    I actually loved this arc in the manga. We got to see some development for every character. I hate that that the anime pacing is fastened at the expense of that development. So many important character interactions were cut and the series now seems very rushed. At least the first episode.... I am a bit upset about it

Dudu and LogicoftheVI like this.
  5. Dudu

Dudu

Bounty Points:
    I'm puzled. This arc had me in the edge during the entirety of it.

Why?

Because the hierarchy Levi > Titans > Normal People was well stabilished. Whenever there's both Levi and a Titan in a room (a very large room), I expect Levi to win 100% of the times.
    But the guy who taugh Levi? That got me. Can Levi die? Yep, he totally can, he is not essential to the plot at all. And what's the secret behind the royal family. This arc was fire.

Plus, I was always really, really into those mobility gear shots. More than fighting a Titan, for me, it was all about those cool ODM gear they use. And this arc is filled with that.

The fact they enhanced the pace just make me even more hyped. The episodes we had so far were darn great.

LogicoftheVI likes this.
  6. HORTLE

HORTLE

Bounty Points:
    WARNING: MAJOR MANGA SPOILERS

the transition from the titan clash arc to the uprising arc was not smooth at all in the manga for two major reasons. IMO what Wit studio + Isayama have done with the start of season 3 is due to the plot becoming convoluted at the very start of the arc (vague character motivations + reasonings for behavoir). They wanted to show direct conflict as soon as possible, to make it clear who is on which side.

First, the timing of the Government's suppression of Eren/Historia and the corps made no sense to me. Rod Reiss should have known since the battle in Trost that Eren held the founding titan. Why wait to take him? Why would you let him go on a SC expedition to Wall Maria. The SC return from the clash with Reiner and Bertolt...they discover Nick was murdered by the MP's..and then the government decides to finally take action? The timing here seemed arbitrary.

Second, Kenny's introduction. IMO the manga did this a lot better than the anime. In the anime, we didn't even get to see the plan they were enacting. The most important stuff just sorta..happens. Anime only's had no idea the Corps were faking an exchange by allying with Reeves, or that Reeves was sniffed out and killed by Kenny. And, on top of this, in the anime, the people controlling the wagon with Eren and Historia are on the Survey Corps side...while in the manga, they were on the MP side, since Kenny had already taken over the job of bringing them to Reiss. Did Isayama make this change because he thought the survey corps plan was too confusing? Too drawn out? So to me, in the anime, when Kenny is revealed, it really just seems like a huge asspull. Yes the pacing in the manga is quite slow, but the way the anime has treated it, I don't feel that the MP vs SC conflict has been properly set up.

Overall I really like this arc in the manga and am excited to see how the rest of the season unfolds. Hopefully Wit studio and Isayama wanted to get this season off to a fast start.

LogicoftheVI likes this.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice