Discussion Are the Titans Evil?

Discussion in 'Attack On Titan' started by Plue!, Nov 10, 2013.

Share This Page

1. Plue!

Plue!

Bounty Points:
    PBS Idea Channel makes a remarkable insight (though one I disagree on) the subject.

If people are willing to react here, I shall post my reasons on why I disagree on his stand.

Zoro likes this.
  2. AaronC

AaronC

Bounty Points:
    I believe that titans were born thanks to outrageous scientific experiments, and the titans were more than likely originated from humans in one form or another.

So my answer is: No, titans are not evil, humans are.

JoyceW-Art likes this.
  3. Junior

Junior

Bounty Points:
    That's a pretty interesting video, though personally I still find them "evil."Why? Because it's been shown that they don't need to eat humans, but choose too. Hunting a species down to extinction for no real reason, wherever it be titans or humans, is "evil"imo.

Gintoki likes this.
  4. Plue!

Plue!

Bounty Points:
    But judging an act requires a moral compass. Problem, however, is that Titans don't have such things. Their primitive brains lack the ability to cognate what is right and what is wrong. This brings my point that to the humans, Titans may be evil, since their actions are evil to their perceptions. Because people believe that killing a human is a sin, that concludes that Titans are evil... right?

*sigh*Not exactly. Morality is a very, VERY, relative subject. Some may argue that Robin Hood was a thief, no matter what, for example. Some will defend his actions, but in the end, we're not entirely sure of who's the wiser. To humans, Titans eating humans is bad, but well, we're not sure how Titans see the issue at all. You can't simply say that the Titans hunt down people for no reason at all, because in the first place, they lack the mental faculties to see reason in their actions. While it's true that Titans don't need humans, the same can be said for humans needing, say, guns.

Perspective is another bad boy in this debate, and my point can be illustrated in this thought experiment: Reverse the situation. Assume that Shingeki no Kyojin revolves around the story of Humans, people with reason and morality, attacking moronic Titans. The main question here is, if the Humans can justify what they're doing, does that make them correct? Even if we don't reverse the situation, and say that Titans actually can think and reason out, they cannot necessarily justify their actions.

In summary, we simply cannot argue that the Titans are evil species because of these reasons. One, because their brains lack the ability to possess morality and reason. Second, because morality in the first place is an abstract subject. Some may say that it's fate, some murder... point being that morality leaves people at a quasi-correct state. People are correct, but they're also... wrong. Third, perspective blurs the question even further. We can't use human-centric reasoning to wrong Titans killing humans, and we can't use Titan-centric reasoning to do the same, either.

Meredy McGarden and Junior like this.
  5. Erza

Erza

Bounty Points:
    I think they're more mindless zombies than anything else, so no, not really.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice