‘One Piece’ Live-Action Series Writer Announced

Discussion in 'One Piece News Central' started by NieR, Jul 19, 2019.

Share This Page

1. NieR

NieR THE BUSHIN Big Mom Smoothie

Bounty Points:
    http://www.onepiecepodcas****m/wp-content/uploads/2015/10/Oda_Drawing_Colouring-1-810x456.jpg​

This week’s issue of Shonen Jump will announce that Matt Owens will be the writer for the One Piece live-action series. Mr. Owens has been a writer for Marvel’s Luke Cage and a story editor for shows including Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D., and The Defenders. Outside of television, Matt Owens has written for Marvel comics including Elektra, Marvel’s Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D., Star Wars: Mace Windu, and Marvel’s Luke Cage.

This is the first major news regarding the live-action series since its announcement in 2017.

On July 21, 2017, it was announced that a Hollywood live-action One Piece television series was to be produced. It is being overseen by Tomorrow ITV Studios under the supervision of Marty Adelstein, who is also one of the executive producers of Prison Break. This news, as well as the original live-action news, was announced as part of the anniversary celebrations for the One Piece manga. No further production or release details are available at this time.

Please see author Eiichiro Oda’s comment below from the original 2017 announcement, along with a translation:

http://www.onepiecepodcas****m/wp-content/uploads/2017/07/img_01.jpg​

There have been many talks about making a live-action series in the past 20 years. About three years ago [2014], we began to seriously consider it. After many twists and turns, we found a good partner. Coincidentally, we made the production announcement on the 20th anniversary. I am very happy. This announcement may cause some anxiety but my one condition for the series is to never betray the fans who supported my work for 20 years. Please get excited and wait for the next report. Please look forward to it!! – Eiichiro Oda

Comment from Hiroyuki Nakano in 2017, the editor-in-chief of Shonen Jump magazine:

“There have been offers from various directions about live-action before but they did not really get settled for a number of reasons. This time, it’s finally come to the point where we can make an announcement. This means that we consider the project this time to have exceeded our expectations,… so please look forward to it.”

http://www.onepiecepodcas****m/wp-content/uploads/2017/07/q9h15dlr0tmy881qk88e-450x300.jpg​

SOURCE: Background details, image and video via ANN and Polygon.com. Thanks to Kelly for providing a translation of the 2017 comments from Eiichiro Oda and Editor-in-Chief Hiroyuki Nakano. and image from natalie

source
    http://www.onepiecepodcas****m/2019/07/19/one-piece-live-action-series-writer-announced/

2. Coquet

Coquet Wanted Roger Cracker Smoothie

Bounty Points:
    Oda approved, he's a big fan of movies so if it meets his requirements it will be good.

3. StealthBlack

StealthBlack

Bounty Points:
    Would like to know the cast, Shs, but I guess it could still be long until we hear that.

Nico Robin and Coquet like this.
  4. Robert24

Robert24

Bounty Points:
    Oda approved or not, I have my doubts since the original announcement exactly two years ago (21 July 2017), I still do have my doubts, and -- unless I change my mind for some reason -- I'll continue having doubts. I've heard of a fair amount of adaptions turning out to be bad for variety of reasons.

Last edited: Jul 19, 2019
    JioFreed, Nico Robin and StealthBlack like this.
  5. Coquet

Bounty Points:
    Me too, especially if the cast isn't international. Oda said Sanji would be French, etc.

6. Lordpalang

Lordpalang

Bounty Points:
    If they couldn't make a good Death note they wouldn't make a good one piece either

7. Coquet

Bounty Points:
    So you have the info that its gonna be on Netflix or not?

8. Charlotte Horchata

Charlotte Horchata

Bounty Points:
    Well, he was basing on absurd stereotypes and even subtle racism (Usopp from Africa), and at the end of the day the characters aren't really from different real world places, so nothing actually supports the need of Sanji being portrayed by a French actor.

FelliTraydor and StealthBlack like this.
  9. Nico Robin

Nico Robin Wanted

Bounty Points:
    I can't even be cautiously optimistic. With all of the disappointments of live action failures, I would love to see this be good, but with all of the CGI that will be required, it's going to be financially difficult for it to good. They butchered everything about FMA, because they had to cut corners to fit the budget.

https://m.ign.com/articles/2019/03/08/one-piece-live-action-series-seemingly-coming-to-netflix

Naito, SMILE and K.A.I.D.O like this.
  10. K.A.I.D.O

K.A.I.D.O

Bounty Points:
    this is mistake
    wtf oda i thought u were smarter then this,do the research and see how bad the live actions have failed

SMILE likes this.
  11. Charlotte Horchata

Charlotte Horchata

Bounty Points:
    For all we know Oda could just be playing a "Yes, sir" to the money guy.

12. Escanor

Escanor

Bounty Points:
    So basically they will do Marvel with One Piece... I like Marvel but I'm not convinced at all.

JioFreed and SMILE like this.
  13. Coquet

Bounty Points:
    I stopped at "Seemingly" lol
    Nothing confirmed.
    Could as well be meaning that Netflix will broadcast the anime.
    So for you, an interview (or SBS, I don't recall) in which Oda clearly stated on what country each strawhats are based isn't enough for you? And how the feck is that racism? :eek:
    Would you prefer a Japanese actor only movie?

Fist_of_Love likes this.
  14. Charlotte Horchata

Charlotte Horchata

Bounty Points:
    It is racism because Oda is basically assuming that Usopp resembles the 1.225 billion people who live in Africa, which is a continent yet is used as a country (this alone is belittling, it's like saying that Luffy is from America*).

And I know what Oda said. That's not the point of my answer. The Germa Kingdom is clearly based on Germany, yet Sanji is from France because of some simplistic stereotype such as loving food (or whatever reason Oda followed). Just like Luffy, who is Brazilian if I recall correctly yet his father has obvious Spanish American inspiration and they both come from exactly the same birthplace. Because when you hear that whatever Straw Hat is from wherever you're just hearing Oda saying "hehe, this stereotype is funny, and Usopp is from Africa because Africa is an undefined whole which I don't see as a group of countries like I see Europe or America". Nothing more.

I don't really care whether the cast is fully Japanese or not.

*As a continent, not as the egocentric name for the United States.

15. Coquet

Bounty Points:
    It's not racism because you say so. You defo need to check the real definition. And to stop putting your words into Oda's mouth.

Then, it's the OP universe so who cares? let Luffy be played by a Brazilian, his father by a Spanish American someone from Latin America, Germa by German, Sanji by a French guy, ect

16. Charlotte Horchata

Charlotte Horchata

Bounty Points:
    I used the term "subtle racism" because I've checked the "real definition" (what would that be according to you? Hopefully not some dictionary-based one) and I understand how complex this issue is from a sociological point of view. While Oda isn't explicitly discriminating a racialized individual, conceptualizing as a country a whole continent that turns out to be one of the most (if not the most) vulnerable to racism actually points to a potential subtle racism with it consequent implicit behaviors like we all have to some extent. What is clear is that it isn't normal to name Africa as a country, which is a direct, harmful simplification of tons of cultures, hence my assertion not as an attack to Oda but as a reflection of implicit, racist biases people tend to have yet ignore. I mean, it's not like you are racist or you aren't depending on the amount of direct discrimination you profess to a racialized person.

If this is "OP Universe" then there's no such thing as "Sanji the French guy" because France isn't a thing and, therefore, your stated need of an international cast is unfounded because at the end of the day is an arbitrariness out of the actual verse that works as some funny trivia but nothing more. Because, as I said, it would mess up the inner ties, which are the ones to pay attention to because, well, they actually define ties within the story and not outside it.

By the way, since you don't want me to put words in Oda's mouth, would you please give me a better reason than mine for him to make the bouncy and partying guy a Brazilian, the cold-hearted woman a Russian, the elegant chef a French, and so on? I'm not saying that it is bad that he used some stereotypes, but I find hard to believe there's any other reason behind his choices and I'm just opining that it's some funny trivia but nothing too serious.

17. Onyx Darkmatter

Onyx Darkmatter

Bounty Points:
    The concerning part about all this is that this is the first news we've received about the live-action since 2017. They might be very selective, but whether this will succeed or not will depend how it will go.
    They said it is going to become an expensive production, so we should expect some quality work in it.

My main concern about this above everything else, is the casting. I know Oda's hand-selecting the casting (if possible) to play the part, but that alone isn't enough to quell the nervousness.

Reddot4 and Coquet like this.
  18. Dango

Dango

Bounty Points:
    Let's see how this turns out
    --- Double Post Merged, Jul 20, 2019, Original Post Date: Jul 20, 2019 ---
    I hope for the best.

Coquet likes this.
  19. GangMemberLeo

GangMemberLeo

Bounty Points:
    I lost all hope in the live action series when I heard the showrunner is Matt Owens.
    The live action may look cool and shit but fuck me why did they chose Matt Owens :catcry:

Lordpalang and Coquet like this.
  20. Coquet

Bounty Points:
    Well I work as a translator IRL so I'm well aware that context is more important than the dictionary definition but if I've got to tell you my definition of racism and discrimination, it would be that of the UN and international NGO's, not the one you invented to prove your baseless claim that Oda is racist (it kinda reminds me of the "Oda is sexist" shit), and if you've got to fight racism and discrimination, then you should attack the structural violence behind it (cf. Johan Galtung) rather than Oda xD
    Well, it's not in my culture at all to see humans with different skins colours as belonging to different races whilst we all belong to the same species of "intelligent" animals called humans, the human race.
    It's not in Oda's as well. I think this is the cause of your overreaction, which I found typical of people that see everything in terms of skin colours and race (who's the most racist now? I wonder :lmao:). Any attempt to prove that he's racist will fail. And if he actually is, the mangaka of Dragon Ball is a nazi because his heroes are blue eyed Aryans, Captain Herlock's mangaka is racist because there's not black people in his story, The Legend of Zelda is racist because of the portrayal of Gerudo (=Muslims) as a thief tribe, etc. and whatever dumb idea there is. Stop being a oversensitive wannabe SJW.
    It will never be as good as the manga, the same way GoT is better in books, so my expectations are pretty low but yeah with a huge budget they can make it faithful to the original. Let's wait and see.

Nessos and GangMemberLeo like this.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice